Screams, Howls, Cries And Other Sounds.

Woodslore

SSR Team

I can't exclude anything unfortunately as it's not my place to and this is the crux of what I'm saying, I revert back a few posts where I said that I believe the only one this can be done is with a future project with an active research group.

I understand where you're coming from shadow but I'm not sure that the data will spit out conclusions, there would be a fair few assumptions to draw the conclusions that you mention and as the old saying goes, assumpumtpion is the mother of all you know what's.

But I get what you're saying for sure, it definitely has potential as a future project.

Thanks for the ideas.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the meaning of a vocalization, though I'd still want to know, but to simply know that it's them when I hear it. Knowing their calls means you can find them and make contact if they are willing. The long distance calls would make sense as a way to simply make contact with their own kind. I'm sure they get spread out over large areas amd the cooler night air carries them well. Some consistency in these calls must exist or they wouldn't know when they call each other. It's that simple.

• Upvote 2

It is just like us and how we try to copy their vocals, except that they seem to shut down on response. Why? there was one time that the forest in our area of research sounded like a jungle I believe it was in April 2003 (not sure), the first week.  The forest just went off like there were chimps. I never recorded and it was due to not being ready. I was just amazed and I am not sure how I could have been hoaxed. It was to real and I also do believe I have a tape where I was in commune with one. An owl call but with a response that I have been trying to get real owls to copy..

But it would be nice to have a  vocal chart since reports do report sound. Lets say that if a script was written that would search through reports on a data base for certain key words. This script would be like a search engine except that it would search for key words , copy the report then place it in the file that it needs to be in within the data base. 

March and April are good months down here in the south Shadow, It's like the woods comes alive with owls and coyotes and I've been to areas that were quiet and like a jungle at other times of the year. I know a lady that heard calls that she would have sworn were the neighbor calling his cows, and she was shocked when I played a recording of one of my suspect calls which sounded just like it.. There were numerous calls just like it when it was recorded and it was one of the most vocal evenings I've experienced.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the meaning of a vocalization, though I'd still want to know, but to simply know that it's them when I hear it. Knowing their calls means you can find them and make contact if they are willing. The long distance calls would make sense as a way to simply make contact with their own kind. I'm sure they get spread out over large areas amd the cooler night air carries them well. Some consistency in these calls must exist or they wouldn't know when they call each other. It's that simple.

I hate to disagree with you, but I think it is important to try and understand the meaning of their vocalizations.  I have heard 3 in my life.  The first was a big Ohio scream that I interpreted as I am the big man of this forest, bring it!  The second was a series of knocks at 3 AM that clearly was a warning to go back to bed and not to screw up their hunt (OK, so this was not exactly a vacalizion).  The last was a most terrifying scream at close range that can only be interpreted as a warning to stop and go away you are going close to something important.  I believe failure to understand the meaning of what they are trying to convey to us can be very detrimental to your health.  

I know of a group from Michigan that would just build a fire and camp, but would get close range, loud and intimidating whoops and ahhh screams. The individuals vocalizing obviously meant to stimulate the people there but the actual meaning of them would be speculative unless you actually hear words in a language you speak. There may never be a rosetta stone for the interpretation. I think they do however, use the more primitive and universal communication like a growl , huff or bark to establish dominance or shoo away threats.  That's where it might serve their purpose to mimic other animals to be sure they get their message across. 

Admin

Lets say that if a script was written that would search through reports on a data base for certain key words. This script would be like a search engine except that it would search for key words , copy the report then place it in the file that it needs to be in within the data base. 

You could use google advanced search... here is a search for "howl" in bfro.net

https://www.google.ca/search?as_q=&as_epq=howl&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=bfro.net&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl

• 1 month later...

Just received an email from the Cornell labs of ornithology. It contains this information:

Heard a Mystery Sound? Ask the Cornell Lab on NPR

If you’ve heard a sound in nature that you can’t identify, capture a recording and send it in to NPR’s new series, Decoding Nature. If your sound is selected, experts at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology will identify it for the radio segment. Hear the first mystery solved and find out how to send in your recording.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/31/427990342/here-s-how-to-identify-sounds-you-hear-in-nature?

I don't know how serious or how good they are. But I found it interesting that they would state it like they did.

Just received an email from the Cornell labs of ornithology. It contains this information:

Heard a Mystery Sound? Ask the Cornell Lab on NPR

If you’ve heard a sound in nature that you can’t identify, capture a recording and send it in to NPR’s new series, Decoding Nature. If your sound is selected, experts at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology will identify it for the radio segment. Hear the first mystery solved and find out how to send in your recording.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/31/427990342/here-s-how-to-identify-sounds-you-hear-in-nature?

I don't know how serious or how good they are. But I found it interesting that they would state it like they did.

Very cool.  I just sent in a portion of the 26 minute audio from our site.  We'll see if it's selected.  

Odds are that if they are selected they have an easy Id . A good question would be what hapens to the ones that aren't selected? Were they too tough to identify or were they not known wildlife or were they "human". There shouldn't be any hand picking, just I d all of them.

I agree. If they wanted to show how good they are, they should ID the hard ones. But that probably won't be how it is.

The show will probably start off with some easier ones to get established and then hopefully progress to harder and possibly unknowns (I'd hope anyway).

BFF Patron

This is the proper email associated with the npr Cornell sound file analysis:   nprcrowdsource@npr.org

I am wondering if they specifically requested the type of file they will need to have such as .wav  .mp3  etc etc?  

Haven't done anything but read the transcript and it did not mention anything about sound file type so maybe it doesn't matter. 

All I saw was that they want one minute of recording from your smartphone to the address you posted, with the subject, decode nature.