Screams, Howls, Cries And Other Sounds.

Woodslore

Very true MIB, very true. Hence (and may sound weird) I try the sounds on my dog. His reactions are what made me curious

You're not the first person to mention odd pet behavior.    (I'm not chiming in for anyone, just summarizing.)    It is definitely worth paying attention to.   If it is BF, people have talked about major pet freak out and others have talked about peaceful coexistence with "the folks out there", sometimes even associations which are not entirely unlike ours with our pets. 

"Hmmmm ..."  (one of my favorite ... well, it's not a word, but whatever it is, it's one of my favorites)

MIB

• 1 month later...

According to the BFRO website, Moneymaker's 1994 Ohio Howl "has consistently stumped animal sound experts. All scientific analysis has concluded that it was not a mechanical device nor was it the vocalization of any known animal."

Does anyone know specifically which 'animal sound experts' it has stumped?

Does anyone know specifically what 'scientific analysis' it has undergone?

If yes, has anyone submitted their own recordings to the same 'experts / scientific analysis' ?

What are people's opinions of it and why? What are people's opinions of Charlie Page's 2015 howl recording from the Cuyahoga National Park, Ohio? (Both are accessible from a link on the BFRO homepage).

Edited by the parkie

According to the BFRO website, Moneymaker's 1994 Ohio Howl "has consistently stumped animal sound experts. All scientific analysis has concluded that it was not a mechanical device nor was it the vocalization of any known animal."

Does anyone know specifically which 'animal sound experts' it has stumped?

Does anyone know specifically what 'scientific analysis' it has undergone?

If yes, has anyone submitted their own recordings to the same 'experts / scientific analysis' ?

What are people's opinions of it and why?

You might consider Dr. Robert Benson of Texas A&M University and or an Associate Dr. Joe Fox from Texas A&M Corpus Christi , both of whom I think have analysed the Ohio Howl. I'd say it stumps all of them until someone can produce the animal on film making the sound. :cool:

Would you understand an analysis of the sounds if you read one?

The ohio howl isn't necessarily my pick as most compelling either, but either it is a bigfoot or there must be a known animal that makes the exact sound or call and nobody has managed to film it doing it. It would seem that if the later were true, the sounds would have been debunked handily a decade ago.

The same would go for a handful of other recorded howls or better termed ahhh screams ,whoops and whoooo calls which I'd say are more prevalent. 

Guest SquatchinNY

Most impressive howl recording I ever listened to was that twenty something minute bit from Minnesota. Wow, talk about bone chilling. I hear that sucker outside my hours and I would move.

This thread makes me nostalgic.  We would hear them nightly when camping in some places in the Sierras.  Long repeated howls from less than a quarter mile away.  Thing is, if you hear them in the distance, they're not right outside the tent.

• Upvote 1

While going through my archives of 2014 audio recordings, I found this clip.  I think it sounds similar to the Ohio howl.  I hear it often in northern MN and it is sometimes accompanied by other howls that are definitely wolves.  I am pretty sure it is the call of a lone wolf.  I have one version where there is kind of a strange warbling sound followed by the same howl that is on this clip.  What are your thoughts?

Wolf ShortVersion2-8_22_14.mp3

That is very similar to the Ohio howl in vowel quality and maybe in length. So it could be a match. I might run some comparisons on that.

Most impressive howl recording I ever listened to was that twenty something minute bit from Minnesota. Wow, talk about bone chilling. I hear that sucker outside my hours and I would move.

Page 1 post 7 in this thread is the link to that recording, FYI.

What are people's opinions of Charlie Page's 2015 howl recording from the Cuyahoga National Park, Ohio? 

After reading-

From BFRO: http://www.bfro.net/avevid/SOUNDS/cvnp_ohio_howls.asp

The animal howls more than once from basically the same area but seems to face a different direction for each howl. Distant response whoops can be heard in the background at points. 

And from NPS: http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/upload/Coyote4%20final.pdf

Beginning in 1993 the park has estimated this population by playing recorded coyote calls to elicit a response from other coyotes.

My opinion is a bigfoot researcher probably recorded a coyote researcher broadcasting howls to elicit a response from other coyotes. Which is what the whoop sounds in the recording are probably from and not from a bigfoot.

The playing of coyote recordings would be a good way to elicit return calls from coyotes for estimating population densities. However, someone in the area should be able to obtain a copy of the recording or recordings the park service or researchers are using to compare with the Ohio howls. I've listened to many coyotes and heard the many sounds they can make. To me those howls sound closer to a wolf howl than a coyote howl that's why obtaining a recording would be interesting, because it is a very distinctive sound. It would be easy to tell if it was the researchers recording. If it is a recording being recorded they must still be using the same one because the 1994 and 2015 recordings sound almost identical. I do agree that the return howls on the 2015 recording sound like coyotes.

That BFRO article might be based on found evidence in the CVNP but it sounds like a whole lot of speculation to me.

Edited by BigTreeWalker

I agree, more like a wolf than a coyote. I've noted there is a difference between the acoustics in the Ohio howl and the longer Ahhh howls found on this site. 

http://sasquatchresearch.net/vocalizations.html

I think the above vocalizations are more compelling.

Here is a comparison file of various AHHH scream vocalizations from four different states, Washington, Michigan, Texas and Louisiana. I don't think any of them are canine and all were recorded by either researchers of bigfoot or witnesses of Bigfoot.

All of these below have a distinctive signature that is accordant with the acoustics of an ahhh /a/ vowel and would be quite rare in canine vocalizations.

Wa Mi Tx La. ahh scream comp..wav

BFF Patron

I just heard a vocalization in the Gifford Pinchot a couple of days ago that really had me going for a couple of days.         We were siting around the camp fire and heard the most melodic bird call I have ever heard after dark.   .    Whats more it was in perfect musical pitch.    Looked around and no human seemed to be around.    But it was so melodic I figured it had to have been human.    That night something slapped the camper and I felt it shaking.   .   I was up like a shot with a flashlight looking around outside.   Of course I tied the two together in my head.    Wrong!    My companion admitted that she had slapped the side of the trailer in the morning when she rolled over in bed.   Then the next day hiking we heard the same melodic bird call.    This time it was coming from my pack.    I had been messing with my cell phone a few days before and had changed one of the sounds the phone makes when it gets an email.     The bird call was my phone and we were high enough that I got a signal.       Had a good laugh about it.   

Did some of the Pacific Crest Trail in the Mosquito Lake area of Washington.    Just an out and back on the trail as there have been some reports of BF encounters on the trail in that area.     Nothing found but nice to explore a new area.