What About The Bones? Research Paper Now Available.

BigTreeWalker

Guest ChasingRabbits

I've never seen field notes included in a paper but in this field I can't say I blame the authors for including field notes.

Guest Suesquach

BTW, excellent paper. I hope others in the sciences review this. This may be the break we've all been waiting for!

Thank you all for taking the time to review our research. I do appreciate your input.

We do have several scientists interested in our research from primate studies to prehistoric anthropology. The great thing about this is that it could be a way to study an extant hominid other than Homo sapiens and fossilized Neanderthal hunting sites.

We surmised that it heard something coming down the trail, a hiker or motorcycle, and ran up the hill away from the trail; hence the long stride. It crossed the road and continued up the hill.  After casting and back tracking the tracks we crossed over to trail #1 and hiked up it about

I hope that you do not mind that I grabbed this quote from your report. I still have not finished reading to what your report entails and there some more to read and take in.

My question is,  were there any reports in the area where the tracks were found ? It might be worth the trouble to look at reports on all Data collection web sights of bigfoot in this area. You can then connect the dots with what you have found to the track line.  It is odd that in haste this creature left those prints. It seems like these creatures try very hard to not leave their prints behind and will do what it takes to do so.

I can say that I have found dead deer with the legs torn off and the rest of the deer left behind. I have found bones of possums but never thought to look at them closely for teeth marks. The bones look like the creature was sitting with it's back to a fallen tree and again this is all assumption on my part. But for now on when I find bones I will not just go by them,  but will exam them much closer.

Thank you  BigTreeWalker and there is some thing that might help. You may want to buy some back strap and ribs and let them cure so that it will be enticing to the creature. Hang them in a area where bears cannot get to them and then place your camera traps off the spot where you are hanging this raw meal. I would place the cameras traps away but leading up to the meal. I hope that you may get a picture of the creature that has left this evidence. 

Your welcome ShadowBorn. Those tracks were not very apparent. We walked by them and didn’t see them until our return trip. There were really no details to be seen in the three full tracks that we found. We could discern the outline and that the maker was heavy. A black bear would not have left an impression in this area. This was actually the second set of tracks I have found in the vicinity over the last couple years. The first set were 14". If the maker had been walking instead of running we probably wouldn't have been able to backtrack it. This may be why I couldn't track it forward because it probably slowed down after crossing the old road.

I have had other experiences in this area as well. There are several sighting reports listed for this general area. I mentioned one in the In The Field thread in May. But the main reason I started researching this area was the book Where Bigfoot Walks, Crossing the Dark Divide by Robert Michael Pyle. He is very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of the area. He discusses the requirements that a creature the size of bigfoot would need to survive and that this area of the PNW meets these requirements.

Thanks for the game cam suggestions. But remember, this is the same area that the Cascade Carnivore Project has baited traps and unless they are not sharing all their findings, they have no photos of bigfoot. I have some ideas for Plotwatcher type cams (no sensors or flashes, daytime only) to place them at around 16' high overlooking some of the springs in the area. If nothing else, I should get a good idea about what other animals frequent the area. Who knows, maybe I can get some pictures of a bigfoot sitting down to a side of elk ribs. ;-)

It'd be hard for a scientist not to be intrigued by what I read.  Any further reactions from people not posting here?

Yes we have had scientists who specialize in this field of study show much interest. We are hoping for some reviews from them but it is confidential until they give permission.

You know what was good about this paper or news, that it came out on my birthday. Here are some bones I have found and there more but I just never took pictures of them. Here you go:

post-482-0-51064700-1436141660_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-90005900-1436141674_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-49194100-1436141688_thumb.jpg

Happy belated birthday!

Is that the possum bones you mentioned? It would have been interesting to take a look at the individual bones. The way the bones are stacked it doesn't look like natural death and disarticulation.

Edited by BigTreeWalker

Yes, they are. What do think about them? I am going back out to these woods in the end of July. So I hope I can find more so I can bag it and study it.

Just finished the paper great work Big!! Looking forward to other scientists taking a look at your data!

Guest Curious Cat

Only part way through your paper so far, but wanted to thank you for making your research available. Finding it very well presented and readable. Will be looking it over several times to take it all in. 

Hello, I am enjoying the study so far only a quarter of the way in.  I didn't know if I could share this link with others to the study, it wasn't quite clear if it was fell under the same regulations as a copy righted picture, or a post written by a member.  Please advise if I can post the link to the documents so others can enjoy the read? Thanks. 

Thanks everyone and glad you're enjoying the read.

Yes you can post the link. It is posted in several other places on the net. Our desire is to get the information out there where it can be useful in the field.

Instead of speculation as to what did this, which is the case I have seen in most videos of kill sites, this is verifiable evidence of the culprit. Canines and carnasials (carnivore molars) leave very distinct impressions in bone. None of which is seen here except for some small scavenger canine marks. Hopefully this will be useful for those doing field work.

Edited by BigTreeWalker