Project Silent Hills - An Experiment By Mabrc And Apes

Redbone

Several People with the MABRC (Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center) and APES (Arkansas Primate Evidence Society) did a great experiment and put together a presentation with the results.

Basically they determined that any wood knock you can hear is most likely within 300 yards of your position, and if it's a LOUD knock it is likely to be within feet.

I put all of the slides together into a PDF file (attached below)

This is fantastic information and I hope it creates a great discussion. I also cannot wait for other groups to try to reproduce it. This project pretty much determined that the sound that is created is all produced by the stick being used. I thought of a very good way to verify. Sit in the outfield at a baseball park while they are taking batting practice (less crowd noise) and see how well you can hear the bat.

I can post all of the slide images but it will take several posts to do so and I'm not sure how well it will work. I think I shall attempt that later on. I decided to attach Slide 20 to this first post which spells out their conclusions.

(edit to note, I can't add more slides until the "edit" function times out. I tried but they got placed into the original post)

Project Silent Hills 17.pdf

post-21915-0-32013200-1437270241.jpg

Edited by masterbarber
Removed link- Rule 2. Content, section D

slides 19-27 attached

post-21915-0-35879100-1437272785.jpg

Note: Field is 300 feet goal line to goal line but 360 feet goal post to goal post.

3x300 = 900 feet, 3x 360 = 1080 feet post-21915-0-00907400-1437272792.jpgpost-21915-0-51863500-1437272798.jpgpost-21915-0-82128300-1437272805.jpgpost-21915-0-92068500-1437272813.jpgpost-21915-0-38883500-1437272824.jpgpost-21915-0-75480700-1437272833.jpgpost-21915-0-71637000-1437272842.jpgpost-21915-0-96892000-1437272855.jpg

Edited by Redbone

slides 28-34 attached - this is the last group

post-21915-0-60491300-1437274040.jpgpost-21915-0-40598500-1437274050.jpgpost-21915-0-87955600-1437274057.jpgpost-21915-0-89911800-1437274065.jpgpost-21915-0-43731400-1437274075.jpgpost-21915-0-57317400-1437274083.jpgpost-21915-0-72247900-1437274092.jpg

THANKS to all for not replying while I was waiting to upload all these images.

• Upvote 1

Admin

Nice! 

We had toyed with the idea of conducting a standard "measuring stick" experiment for wood knocks, but didn't follow up on it. No need now, you guys have done it already and more accurately than our plans called for. I commend you for your efforts and for sharing it with the community at large. Thanks!

The surprising result is that the posited purpose of wood knocks may have been falsified. Wood knocks are supposed to be a means of long distance communication for BF. Your research suggests that hypothesis may be incorrect.

So why would BF wood knock if the sound does not travel far?

A mystery for sure....

Edited by gigantor

Guest diana swampbooger

Nice! 

We had toyed with the idea of conducting a standard "measuring stick" experiment for wood knocks, but didn't follow up on it. No need now, you guys have done it already and more accurately than our plans called for. I commend you for your efforts and for sharing it with the community at large. Thanks!

The surprising result is that the posited purpose of wood knocks may have been falsified. Wood knocks are supposed to be a means of long distance communication for BF. Your research suggests that hypothesis is incorrect.

A mystery for sure....

Dinging the trees to listen for beetles/grubs/small animals/food.

Great report, Redbone! Thank you for sharing.

SSR Team

Thanks redbone, I'm really interested in these knock type of sounds personally.

Is anyone from the group able to take questions on this thread ?

Interesting experiment. Thanks for sharing. Another thing that might be tried would be two axe handles rather than a tree. The area where we research is mostly old growth conifer forest, with a lot of large, hard, dried branches laying around. We were able to pinpoint the location of one series of knocks, line of sight at 330 yards. I was walking inside the edge of the forest (so ambient noise), when across a meadow (330 yards) and 200ft above me on the ridge I heard three loud knocks. It was back in the trees far enough that I couldn't see anything. I stopped and knocked and got a 2 knock return. Then it tossed whatever it was knocking with toward me down the ridge through the trees.

Those branches hitting together can make a pretty loud crack that seems to carry farther than hitting a tree would. Probably more like the percussion blocks.

Is anyone from the group able to take questions on this thread ?

I don't know if any of those guys are here to answer questions, but they can certainly answer them over there. Membership to the MABRC forum is free. There is also an ongoing conversation with Randy Savig in the comments section of one of Jim Sherman's YouTube videos.

My last time out in the woods (last week) I used a pair of rocks. They are easy to carry and the make a unique enough noise to distinguish from animals moving about. In the past I usually would never do any knocks or howls. I still think I won't do it very often, except when I've been out awhile with no activity. (I always seem to have no activity, while those around me experience all kinds of stuff)

Edited by Redbone

A mystery for sure....

I don't think so, it seems pretty clear it's communication. Some people are accustomed to thinking of "power knocks" and dramatic sounds which do happen, but more subtle stuff goes on all the time, IME. I first came across this evidence in some of Chris Noel's videos, he gathered tons of recordings of these behaviors.

Interesting, thanks Redbone!

BF would still use knocks to communicate, either, ''2 or more humans'' or ''here I am' warning of various types',etc. Its still stealthy, and a BF is going to have a much harder-whack! than a human, so it still may travel further, even a juvi is going to be louder than a human.

SSR Team

I'm not convinced they're always wood knocks.

I believe after reading tonnes of reports and speaking with people that have experienced this "knocking" that it's a combination of different stuff such as clapping, possible chest beating, mouth pops, all of which could be mistaken to be a wood knock, no doubt.

With a wood knock, we'd be talking about Sasquatches walking around with lumps of wood and in tell the reports I've read, and that runs into the thousands, I can't recall ever reading anyone seeing that.

It can't be as simplistic as that.

• Upvote 1

Something to consider is that just about any sound travels farther at night and will skip across water like lakes and rivers. You can get a good echo back when calling or knocking from places like boat ramps nestled in wooded environments at night.  A sasquatch could probably use this like a telephone in certain places. I was part of an expedition executed by the TBRC back in 2007 using multiple call blasters on boats on a river. Using cell phones to announce the time of our calls and by counting the seconds it took for the call to reach our ears, we were calculating a distance of 7 miles if my memory serves.

Edited by southernyahoo
  • Upvote 1