The Birth Of Bigfoot ?

Martin

Is bigfoot a creation of the Harrison Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce?

http://furtradefamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2011/01/sasquatch-story.html

This article was written by a historian not a footer of any fashion.

Excerpt below:

"Green's July 1, 1957 editorial complained that "Most of our readers will have noticed by this time that the Harrison Sasquatch Expedition (under Rene Dahinden) appears to exist only in the newspapers."

The problem, Green explained, was that no one outside Harrison Hot Springs had contributed money to the fund, and if local business people wanted the publicity that this expedition would bring to their area, they would have to pay for it themselves.

Finally, Harrison Hot Springs Council convinced itself of the marketing potential of the Sasquatch, and contributed $1,000 towards the Expedition's supposed expenses -- money which probably went toward erecting a welcome sign graced by an enormous neon Sasquatch on the outskirts of Harrison Hot Springs.

Just as tourist season kicked off, Green reprinted an old story about a humming Sasquatch that attempted to hypnotize a local woman.

He followed that story up with others, and the stories were more unbelievable every week.

But other newspapers picked up the stories and the tourists flooded into Harrison Lake Hotsprings."

• Upvote 1

Green may have helped the tourism in that area but certainly didn't create anything. Harrison Hot Springs had been holding Sasquatch Days since the 30's- that was the big attraction. That celebration was based on the local Indians and they're legend of the wild man. Of course there are wild man stories that go back 100's of years so no, they didn't create anything.

Edited by roguefooter

Admin
post-338-0-34077300-1382070484_thumb.gif

post-338-0-99648400-1382071240_thumb.gif

post-338-0-77459400-1381985397_thumb.gif

post-338-0-67124200-1381985664_thumb.gif

post-338-0-32769800-1366842501_thumb.gif

These were all posted by Tirademan in the regular forum, thus I can re-post without violating the rules.

The premium section has the entire collection of Tirademan's historical articles available. There are hundreds of them.

Edited by gigantor
  • Upvote 3

These were all posted by Tirademan in the regular forum, thus I can re-post without violating the rules.

The premium section has the entire collection of Tirademan's historical articles available. There are hundreds of them.

Exactly. That is why it worked so well. Hairy Wildmen were already a big part of pop-culture. 

Either 1957 is the birth place of wild hairy men aka bigfoot? Or its not........

which is it?

Or are you looking for the birth place of the term "bigfoot"?

Exactly. That is why it worked so well. Hairy Wildmen were already a big part of pop-culture.

You obviously didn't look at either of the links that I posted

Macleans magazine is a national magazine here in Canada and in 1929 they published a story by J.W. Burns, a government agent that worked with the Chehalis band

Mr. Burns "invented" the term sasquatch when he misspelled/mispronounced the word that the Chehalis used

And I agree with Norse

• Upvote 1

I recall that a reporter was the one who coined the term "big foot" then it got shortened to "bigfoot" but please search the story for yourself.  Wild man stories have been around for hundreds of years.  Indians have had stories as well it's in their lore.

Peace

Sorry. Maybe the title was errant.

Obviously not the birth of hairy wildman stories but the birth of the modern social construct of bigfoot.

I read both of your posts and links. Both are appreciated but I haven't had time to address yet.

post number 2, follow the link when you have a lot of time on your hands.

this has been discussed in depth before.

Sorry. Maybe the title was errant.

Obviously not the birth of hairy wildman stories but the birth of the modern social construct of bigfoot.

I read both of your posts and links. Both are appreciated but I haven't had time to address yet.

address what

here in British Columbia the "modern" concept of the sasquatch started with J.W. Burns

There is no doubt that here in British Columbia, John Green probably did more to bring the stories of Sasquatch to the public then all the other early researchers (possibly all of them combined)

If you are really interested in learning about the history of Sasquatch here in British Columbia (including Harrison lake) I suggest that you contact Thomas Steenburg ( sasquatch@telus.net ) as he probably knows this history as well as anyone

the birth of the modern "social construct" was, imo, based on .........

1........the old NA stories / legends / accounts ( that included at  least a certain % of them that defied the norm ) and fascination in them...... combined with folks still reporting sightings , of course.

and 2....greed.  others figured out ways to cash in for $ and / or attention  and then the curious and gullible helped fuel it.

but the construct doesn't explain  away all the folks still seeing something out there.

but the construct doesn't explain  away all the folks still seeing something out there.

People in Milwaukee have reported seeing a lion on the prowl in suburbia and the authorities are taking it seriously.

Is it a large lion-like predator? Or is it a small lion-like predator (ie domestic house cat)?

2enn3p0.jpg

People trust their senses and tend to believe what they see but it is sometimes not as simple as seeing and reporting what was objectively there. In ambiguous situations we can be influenced by what we expect (or perhaps hope) to see:

Cat found mauled - must have been the lion! Man sees lion then shoots it - oh, it was just someone's pet dog. People may be sincere when reporting unusual sightings but it doesn't mean they are at all objectively accurate.

I'm not sure on exactly how or why people can mistake a house cat for a mountain lion but it does happen. Also see the case of the "Essex lion".

Same thing applies to Bigfoot...

the tracks i saw were doing things no man could do. At some point size does become the issue. and unlike a fleeting glimpse? tracks dont lie, your not mistaking a cougar track with a house cat.

Edited by norseman