Meganthropus Tooth Found In Santa Cruz?

hiflier

Hello All,

I don't expect this thread to last long at all. Does anyone have any resources that knows or can follow up on this supposed find? The discussions revolving around no Bigfoot fossils, where are the bones etc. crops up often. Grover Krantz did a skull reconstruction with pieces of Meganthropus found elsewhere like Java? But after reading about this large tooth found in Santa Cruz California (I don't know when) being attributed to the SE Asian animal I thought it made things interesting.

http://bigfootdiscoveryproject.com/museum-archives/

"A variety of circumstantial evidence has been obtained in the Santa Cruz Mountains including unknown sound recordings, a large, unidentified tooth....."

As I posted in another thread:

"I really could use some help running this to ground:

https://www.sasquatc...squatch-island/

"Michael Rugg, of the Bigfoot Discovery Museum, presented a comparison between human, Gigantopithecus and Meganthropus skulls (reconstructions made by Grover Krantz) in episodes 131 and 132 of the Bigfoot Discovery Museum Show. He favorably compares a modern tooth suspected of coming from a Bigfoot to the Meganthropus fossil teeth, noting the worn enamel on the occlusal surface. The Meganthropus fossils originated from Asia, and the tooth was found near Santa Cruz, California."

So, is this a hoax? Did Grover Krantz ever see this tooth? Is it still at the Museum? Is it even worth pursuing? If the tooth is located and found to be real how did it get to Santa Cruz, CA? 

Edited by hiflier

I just so happened to have run across a Facebook post this morning where someone asked if we still know the location of that tooth (might have been you!).  I will follow up and see if anyone responds. I'll let you know.

Hello Chelefoot,

Thank you! And what a "coincidence" that is. I've never been a social networker so the Facebook thing wasn't me. Does look as though I've stirred someone's pot though, eh? I say good then :)

Here is the first place my search took me - a YouTube interview with Mike last summer:

He sent Melba and Sykes a sample from the tooth. Sykes did not test it and did not return the sample. He didn't send the whole tooth.

I didn't even pay attention to what Melba found.

One person commented that it was found to be from a prehistoric camel - but no source for that info. I'll keep digging.

Ok...towards the end, they said it still at that point, has not been DNA tested (as of last summer).

• Upvote 1

Hello Chelefoot,

Your research skills are to be commended. "Camelops hesternus" was a fairly good sized animal:

250px-Camelops_hesternus.jpg

and did roam the Western U.S only to die off with the rest of the large NA mammals about 11,000 years ago: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelops

Edited by hiflier

Hello Cotter,

I know huh? The thinking is that they did cross but did it from East to West through Alaska. :o At least that's what I've been reading. As far as the Santa Cruz tooth goes though I wonder if it was Grover Krantz that may have matched it to the Java fossils? I would think that would be easier anyway than waiting for DNA or taking bits of the tooth away??!?  

And only one tooth with no other bones around like a jaw? Was it found by someone panning for gold perhaps or was it actually found in a dig? Too many open questions here.

Edited by hiflier

I think there is a basic misunderstanding of what was found. There was a tooth found near Santa Cruz that "is suspected to be from a bigfoot" and Krantz merely compared it to a Megathropus tooth. He did not say it was a Meganthropus tooth. That's my understanding of this.

Hello Rockape,

It's why I say an expert visual inspection is required here. It makes me wonder if the late Dr. Swindler ever had a gander at it. He must have known of it's existence? Maybe he was the one that said it was a fossil camel tooth? I think the gentlem at the Museum, Mike Rugg may perhaps have all the history on it since it's discovery. There sure seems to be more interest in general back in 2010. 

I see only two choices here: Rule it in, or rule it out. It's that simple.

Edited by hiflier