Sounds Of The Night

Lake County Bigfooot

In Minnesota {home of Hazeltine Golf Course and the 2016 Ryder Cup, which I was able to attend. :-)}  The cabin is located in St. Louis County about 5 miles south of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

Plussed, for everything but the Ryder Cup part..;)

Minnesota - 19 Non Visual Vocalization Reports.

57% from hours of darkness, with that number rising to 67% in the last 10 years.

June the leading month, with August and September coming next.

St Louis County account for 2 out of 5 reports from the last 5 years.

Sorry I have been a bit busy, those stats are pretty interesting BobbyO, I think it represents the increase in activity in the fall to winter months when I think they hunt protein more vigorously than in the spring and summer months when they have abundant food sources, or perhaps they just are fattening up on the protein, as they do go after the fat more than the meat itself.

Coffeetogo, I also was at the Ryder Cup Saturday and Sunday, what spectacular weather for Oct., having lived in the Twin Cities for several years, as well as vacationing in the boundary waters and else where over the years, nothing surprises me, including the fact some Sasquatch must live close to the metro due to the Mississippi flowing through it, there are too many resources for them not to use that area from time to time, mind you I don't mean St. Anthony falls...but if you think of northern MN, as well as northern Wi, and the UP, well that makes up some pretty amazing continuous habitat...

I did capture this incident on October 6, sounds a bit like a branch being torn off then pounded, happened very close to my recorder, which seems to indicate intention of messing with me, of course after I bolted after the creature in June after hearing the wood knocks, I think I slightly changed the intercourse between us. I have monitored the peanut butter and so far no obvious partaking. I should have weighed it as it was partial.  I cannot explain that pounding without something having hands. I also heard a flying squirrel in distress mode around the same time, sounding the warning bell.  This occurred somewhere around midnight, and per usual my neighbor is also up coughing, which is part of the whole interaction we have going, I think the creature is interested in him, there is a nice little path from the blind area along the deer trail to my neighbors house and provides a viewing point as well.  Shortly after this a lone coyote was barking at something.

Branch_torn_and_then_knocks.wav

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

The curse of the Sasquatch is striking my recording, the night I got that wood knock above I ran out of memory, last night I accidentally paused the recorder on what looked like a very promising night, very cold, still, and almost full moon. Coyotes were going off when I slipped out back to put out the recorder. In fact I sat and watched my backyard as it was quite moonlit to see if anything moved through. Well you gotta keep on top of the possibilities don't you...dang it...

That is a great capture, loud and close. They really like to whack those trees at your place, lol.

Edited by JKH

The knocks are the thing that keeps me going on recording for now, it is the only way to know when they are present. I was mistaken as the recording was the 9th instead of the 6th, so they may very well still be in the area. Problem is I am sleeping with my windows closed more and more, and that is when I miss stuff, because I have often realized to record when the knocking was apparent in the night while sleeping. I usually record every night from here on out, and that is the plan, allot of windy nights make for bad percentages, but I keep at it. I thermed a bit last night as well, but the heat still trapped in the leaves is not conducive, need to drop the leaves and have some colder nights, I wondered why finding bigfoot was always filming in those cold and bare conditions, now I get it. The full moon the last few nights was amazingly bright, so I could sit up and scan the tree line hoping for a glimpse. I am paying for the late night but that is what it will take to catch a class A, if it came that close to the recorder I can assume it meant to be heard. Maybe if it is that bold it will make an appearance one day just to say that he is the boss of the woods. I think for now I am still the boss of my backyard and he respects the boundary, and for the most part, at least in the dark, I respect his space. He is probably long gone by daylight anyway, hiding somewhere up in the vast marsh and islands in the state park just north of me.

On 10/12/2016 at 2:36 PM, BobbyO said:

Plussed, for everything but the Ryder Cup part..;)

Minnesota - 19 Non Visual Vocalization Reports.

57% from hours of darkness, with that number rising to 67% in the last 10 years.

June the leading month, with August and September coming next.

St Louis County account for 2 out of 5 reports from the last 5 years.

Interesting statistics.  I need to look through that data.

There is so much wilderness in St. Louis County that I am surprised there are any sightings at all.  It is the largest county in Minnesota at 6,860 sq. miles and has a population of 200,500.  It includes the city of Duluth with a population of 86,000, which takes up only 87.4 sq. miles of the county. 

I am working through the recordings I did over the summer and now finishing up August.  I am listening very carefully as that was one of the months you mentioned.  I was at the cabin the last 3 days and did record on two of those nights.  A lot of the leaves have fallen so there should be less tree noise.

Didn't like the Ryder Cup reference?  How about home to Nobel prize winner Bob Dylan?? Or Prince?? :-) 

On 10/13/2016 at 8:43 AM, Lake County Bigfooot said:

>having lived in the Twin Cities for several years, as well as vacationing in the boundary waters and else where over the years, nothing surprises me, including the fact some Sasquatch must live close to the metro due to the Mississippi flowing through it, there are too many resources for them not to use that area from time to time, mind you I don't mean St. Anthony falls...but if you think of northern MN, as well as northern Wi, and the UP, well that makes up some pretty amazing continuous habitat...<

I was thinking the same thing about WI and the UP.  They must travel between the three areas.  How can you estimate the number of bf in an area (or state) if there is so much wilderness?

I have roughly estimated that where habitat is adequate a small family group is probably using a 300 mile radius or so, where habitat is abundant that area may be smaller. I am guessing completely, but given the intervals I experience of them coming maybe once a month they are always on the move, and I think this also helps them stay hidden as these movements are in the early am hours and are not noticed by people except the occasional road crossing. If they stay in one area too long their presence is likely to be detected by someone, so constant movement keeps them unpredictable. I also think they are on the move within an area they are using, like drawing little circles inside of a big circle. The big circle is the overall area they use, and the little circles are different circuits they use within each area. Say a farm field one night, a meadow the next, a marsh another night, all within several miles, then it is on to another area further away, perhaps 20 miles or more from the original starting point. It is obviously not circular movements, just varied movements within a certain radius. That is why it is so hard to pin them down. They probably have variations on every theme as well to further complicate the deal. Perhaps they move that 300 miles circle south a bit in the winter, and it eases back to the north in the summer, then every so often it moves east or west. It is a pattern used by a large predator always on the hunt, but also of an omnivore always capitalizing on available resources. This pattern might be more a midwest farmland situation vs. a midwest forestland situation farther to the north. Some habitats could sustain them for long periods of time with little movement, and if those areas are remote enough to avoid detection, well there is your most predictable sasquatch, one that stays within a small area to capitalize on abundant resources year round.

• Upvote 2

SSR Team

I'm with you on this way of thinking Lake, for sure.

Plus to that.

I'm recording in a place I identified maybe a year ago, the deer are thick in the area, it's perfect. A couple nights ago, I recorded elsewhere something disturbing around 2 AM. A bunch of eight loud fast shots, then a minute later, four from what sounds like a different gun. There are echoes on a still night, and I have no idea of the location, as it could be across a body of water, or not, but it wasn't too far away.

Sounds of the night are way cool.

I get all kinds of interference from locals, I basically throw out certain nights because some yahoos are acting up, including shooting off guns or fireworks, I have had suspected activity even on such nights. In northern MN I would be looking for Cedar Swamps near by to place the recorder, and to look for movements to and from the swamps as that seems to be a pattern, especially in the winter months. I have been searching for prints on and off, and that is the final thing I need to satisfy my need to be sure of what I am dealing with, I have always entertained doubt, and even though it seems like the only logical explanation at times, I am open to a change of understanding. Till I get that definitive proof I will always feel like I could be wrong.

On 10/13/2016 at 6:43 AM, Lake County Bigfooot said:

I did capture this incident on October 6, sounds a bit like a branch being torn off then pounded, happened very close to my recorder, which seems to indicate intention of messing with me, of course after I bolted after the creature in June after hearing the wood knocks, I think I slightly changed the intercourse between us.

Branch_torn_and_then_knocks.wav

Jumping in here late so not sure about the June incident, but wondering if you looked for the torn-off branch the next day that was used to make the knocks in this recording? Very impressive show of strength, to say the least! Would be interesting to see how high the branch was, etc. But very cool recording. Thanks for sharing!

Yah, there are so many trees, but I did not think to try and locate it. I will look around for some fresh breaks. I recorded a bipedal approach, or at least it seems to be, and then something seems to be tossed at the recorder and bounces off. Then you hear the departure that is characteristically a bit faster than the approach. I lost my spot and will have to save that clip. I have had numerous odd approaches over the years, and that is why I think I should be able to find prints, but for some reason, possibly its juvenile size, it does not seem to leave them, or I do not pick up on them. That is the most frustrating aspect of the whole thing is that I need to find a print or two to have that correlation. It still could be a very unusual neighbor, but that is not realistic when you think of the whole body of stuff I have recorded. It would require someone to be up, and out in the marsh all hours of the night, and that is simply not the case. The initial whoops that caused me to become aware were certainly not human, although they suggested intelligence.

• Upvote 1

LCB

The prints are there you just have not looked hard enough on the ground from point zero. I will find toe prints before I find the whole foot and when I find two toe prints I go from there. Most of the time when I fine toe prints in a row I can make out a track line. It is hard for me to record when I am present and I have never tried to record when I am not there. I would like to place a recorder high in a tree and leave there for a month at a time and move it each month. But high and with solar panel would be the trick and maybe even setting up a raspberry Pi to record with an amplified mic with a camera. The camera could be triggered by a motion detector but the Mic stays on all the time.

I have always wondered if I have been being hoaxed in my area. But there are  Just way to many weird incidents that I cannot explain that are happening. Humans are good at playing tricks on people. But if we investigate thoroughly we get to the truth and that is what changes us. You do what it takes from becoming hoaxed . These creatures do not hoax and if they are there then they are there.

I like the idea that they hit the marshes and the swamps , there is no doubt in my mind that they do not. There are some good game in the swamps and marshes that is good to eat. We have found cattails torn out of the marshes . The cattails seem to have been torn out in areas here what ever did it was well hidden. Have found these like plum size nut'z that seem to have been broken open to be eaten piled up in certain areas. So there different things to look for other then just prints, even tree formations. Just be open to all possibilities. :)

Well the leaves will be down soon, and that marks the last couple of weeks of activity as far as I have seen it in my marsh, I am not saying they never return in the winter, but I have not got any indication of that. I usually do one last extensive marsh investigation when I get the first hard freeze and I can move about easily. I have found what I thought were toe prints earlier this year, so perhaps I was close to getting what I desire, but the cat tail litter is pretty thick and not conducive to a larger foot leaving prints. A jar of peanut butter I put in a tree was never moved, so that creates some doubt as well. It is just going to have to be some good fortune for me to get the final piece of the puzzle, thanks for any advice. I have left my recorder out in new locations several times, just hid it in a zip lock and put some good batteries in it, lasted around 24 hours, but you can do better with a battery pack.

It was not that remote so I was able to go in and retrieve it fairly easily. Nothing ever amounted to anything by doing that as of yet. It is hard to look beyond my yard when so much has happened to me right here, I guess that makes my research pretty dang convenient.

• Upvote 1