Sasquatch And Fire

hiflier

Hello All,

This discussion is for exploring what a possible extant wild hominid might do or how it might deal with a fire. When holding an image in one's mind like the one generally thought of when the term Bigfoot is used most might envision a large hairy creature that is muscular, fast, reclusive and intelligent. That to me is a stereotypical description that serves to be the base idea in most discussions.

In this thread though there are other things regarding the creature that I'd like to bring out to give the subject of Sasquatch vs. Fire some different angles of perspective. But for now some general comments about such a creature involved in a fire scenario to start things off are welcome.

Edited by hiflier

One would think if they did exist several would have perished in fires. Surely, some evidence would have been discovered. A burned body is better than no body.

Guest Crowlogic

Well ever since biggy began paling around with those portal demons they are so far in advance of everything that they don't need fire.  Perhaps a more accurate question if whether or not bigfoot uses nuclear fusion.

Hello Patterson-Gimlin,

Ain't that the truth. And this all about the body thing. In watching Godzilla movies, or substitute Godzilla with just about anything else,  one thing I don't see much from Hollywood is OLD PEOPLE running down the street from Alien attacks or whatever nemesis is on the screen. The reason I brought up the stereotyped image of Sasquatch is that rarely do I see anyone mention the "old ones".. I've brought the idea for looking for dead bodies in the late winter early spring of diseased or elderly BF's who may have died off succumbing to the cold or inability to secure nutrition but the numerous fires as of late got me thinking about old Sasquatches again. (Maybe it's 'cause I'm old? LOL) 

But if they can't outrun a fire or get away from the smoke then water may be their only thought of surviving the devastation. In any case their last breath could be in a lake somewhere or first large pond they come to. Intelligence knows about fire and a superior intelligence may know what to do when trapped.

Hello Crowlogic,

Aw gee, you're going to have to come up with some proof that they even KNOW about the portal demons ;) Edited by hiflier

Guest insanity42

Perhaps of similar discussion.

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/29363-bigfoot-and-fire-question/#entry568437

It's been documented that chimpanzees have a calm understanding of fire and can predict where it will go in a wildfire situation. They typically do not react with fear.

I'd imagine a hominid would have the same understanding and reaction.

hello insanity42,

I completely agree with you. The direction I'm taking this is that I don't necessarily think that all members of a species are always on top of their game. Some old individual that can barely move around would be a likely casualty in a fast moving raging inferno. At least I think if it was on the move that it might eventually have to stop fleeing physically when it tires. Nature then will take it's course.

So if that would ever be the case where would an old one go or do to try and survive the maelstrom? Do people find burned bear carcasses for instance?

Edited by hiflier

Even though that they may seem that they may be intelligent which they are. I am of the opinion that their minds are like children, learning, discovering what we do. If you do hikes in good areas does any one ever find burnt piles in areas where there should not be? We have had a incident where we have found burnt sticks away from our site that came from our fire. But it was weird because I do not think they understood how to keep it lit or how fire worked, now this is only my own observation and opinion.

But it was odd that it seemed that they were drawn to the fire and would take  a piece of it with them, and dump it when it would not stay lit. Now off course this my assumption so do not take it as fact. The only fact about this is that we would find burnt branches that came from our fire pit along trails where there were prints.

Crowlogic

You know before one can even go into the paranormal part of this creature, it has to be proven that exist. One needs to be placed on a slab and it cannot be done for profit or for any human emotion. It has to be done for the act of science so that the truth can be told.    

Guest insanity42

Here is a study from Oregon State University, Synthesis of Knowledge on the Effects of Fire and Fire Surrogates on Wildlife in U.S. Dry Forest

http://www.firescience.gov/projects/07-S-10/project/07-S-10_07_s_10_fire_effects_wildlife_dry_forests.pdf

I have yet to read it in its entirety, but it does mention that "large, mobile mammals such as ungulates and adult birds are capable of moving quickly to unburned refugia..."  Several species can and do take shelter in rivers or lakes.  One conclusion the article states is "Current information suggests fire in general has little direct effect on most wildlife species."

Here is an short article specifically on grizzly bears and wildfire.  It does not mention if any have been documented to have been killed due to a fire, though they are known to hunt other animals fleeing the fire.  They frequently move into the recently burned areas to search for carrion.

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/wildfire&bears.pdf

I am not aware of any reports of burned bear carcasses being found after a wildfire, but there was a bear cub rescued last year after being badly burned in a wildfire in Washington.

Hello Shadowborn,

Two questions for you then. The first is do you think IYO that the burnt sticks could have been removed when your fire died down or was cold?

The second is also asking for your opinion on what you think an old or infirm BF would or could do to survive a forest fire if caught it one or one caught up with it?

Hiflier The reports I have read about them and campfires runs from them playing with sticks with embers on the end from the fire to running a couple kids away from the kids campfire and stomping it out. In a forest fire / wild fire it would be my opinion and speculation, from reports of them carrying away others that have been shot/ injured by car/ hurt in some way , that a strong member of the group would carry them. I believe they would be observant, aware of their surroundings enough to move away from a wild fire before they were put into a trapped scenario. I could be wrong and it would definitely not hurt to search areas for remains, and I think your idea of concentrating around water would be well founded. 

Hello insanity42,

Nice work finding those articles. It's that kind of effort that helps greatly in keeping dialogue revolving around real world situations. Because whether or not there is a real BF out there what we learn in pursuing the possibilities and working out things like mammals surviving a sudden summer tinder box ignited say by lightening the tighter the search parameters for a body become.

Edited by hiflier

Hello ShadowBorn,

Thanks, I think safety in water to be a possible option to consider for an unexpected emergency situation. Not everything presents itself in easy workable patterns when nature tosses a curve ball into a habitat. On top of all that even a good sized pond itself could become a killer after the fact if a large animal dies in it. Smaller ponds may end up an ashen mud hole covering up anything that may have tried to take refuge. What insanity42 posted had a lot to say about most mammals and birds making successful retreats from a fire so what I'm talking about is something really old. Even trying to carry an old 600 pounder out of the woods might result in failure if the fire moves to quickly, jumps a road or a ravine and traps the ones fleeing. Like I said not all situations will be rosy; most yes, but not all.

So what does an old Sasquatch have for options? Depending on how things play out surviving by standing neck deep in a lake would seem to be good. Maybe even something taught? It may be the last and only refuge an old one could attempt to utilize in order to save itself. It brings up the idea then of seeing a big OLD slow moving Sasquatch leaving a large burned out area in perfectly good shape?

This says that watching for Sasquatch in a fire situation perhaps isn't over until after the fire is out. So not just checking for ones fleeing but checking for the survivors afterwards as well. I mean does anyone who's officially involved wait around for a few days to see if anything leaves an area that may have survived?

Edited by hiflier

Hello Shadowborn,

Two questions for you then. The first is do you think IYO that the burnt sticks could have been removed when your fire died down or was cold?

The second is also asking for your opinion on what you think an old or infirm BF would or could do to survive a forest fire if caught it one or one caught up with it?

The camp fire would be low and be going down, so my assumption is they would have took it lit. The burnt sticks were not far from camp so my assumption is that they did not know how to keep it lit and would just drop it. You know like what a child would do when its toy does not go the way it should so they throw it and leave it and move on.

As far as your second question goes ,this is humble my opinion and again I am assuming. If they are part Humans then they have feelings like us, they care for each other which seems to be since old reports say so. So if they have a hierarchy then the elders or the sick are going to be taken care of like it was done within the tribes of Native Americans. I am also assuming that they have advance scouts that would have warned the tribe of advancing danger like a forest fire.

St Helens could have got them of guard  when that volcano went off. The leader might have made a mistake and might have killed his whole tribe by not moving far enough. Again I am assuming.

Hello ShadowBorn

Yes, Mt. St. Helens devastated much in forest, mammals, and fish. The low rumbles low sound frequencies of pre-eruption tremors though may have caused survival instincts to be razor sharp as well. The signals were there after all. Still in all the amount of area affected was very large so there is no doubt as you say that some were caught off guard.

I too am aware of the reports of BF's coming to the rescue of there own. So I guess the topic is a fairly narrow one which speaks of those situations when animals are just not in absolute control of their choices. Nature has many ways to create a body. And all we need is ONE. The scenario of an old one dying in a fire could be worth considering and if so then it sounds like we might be in agreement that a body of water, even a small one, might be a good place to keep in mind. There's a member here who has a plane who I hope is reading this thread and has maybe thought some about it. If there was ever a good use for a drone searching for a Sasquatch this would be one.

Edited by hiflier

hiflier, my research buddies and I have been discussing the possible effects of our own recent conflagration on the local population, as it occurred in an area with sightings reported in the last decade. As soon as the current rains finally douse the fire, we'll be out there looking for any indication that there was movement by the "residents". Your scenario of one seeking refuge in a waterhole is interesting, and will be explored if we come across such a location.