John Mionczynski

norseman

A. People can tell stories about things throwing pine cones.  Or, mistakenly assume something is throwing a pine cone that is blowing in the wind.

B. Squirrels have hands, and have been known to throw PCs

You forgot the part about the hand going over the top of the tent, was that a squirrel too?

No, that part sounds totally made up, or he was having a hypnogogic hallucination.  Did he say he was paralyzed with fear as well?

Edited by Drew

^^^^^^^^

He grabbed his pistol and got out of his tent. Which is exactly what you should be doing with a night time prowler. There is no safety in a tent, your just a fabric wrapped taco waiting to be consumed.

Moonlight shining on a light colored backpackers tent.

I can even see shadows on my relite wall tent unless I put the rain fly on.

You are saying he had no light on his tent, and the moonlight was bright enough to see a shadow of a hand on the top of his tent?

Was he in the woods? or out in an open field?  How distinct would a shadow be on a tent only lit by moonlight?

Still not buying it.

• Upvote 2

Well of course it is!

Last time I checked the only way to get to 10,000 ft in Michigan involves an airplane..,,,,

I wouldn't give Mr. M any greater degree of credibility than any other person who possesses his level of local knowledge...and that already is a high degree of credibility.

This is the thing you can't avoid if you want to learn from those who have the most to teach: There are those who know more than you know,  for good and identifiable reasons.

Living somewhere for a long period of time, and becoming intimate with all the nuances of a location matter. Substituting your judgment for those who have this degree of knowledge is foolhardy. Saying I know what lives in the Winds (even though I've spent some solo time in the B/T Wilderness backcountry in my day), to the contradiction of somebody like Mr. Mioncynski would be to show my arse to the world. Don't think I will, no.  

• Upvote 1

I'd agree with your suggestion that things are relatively less bright where you are.  

I see what you did there. Plussed!

*whistles*

Look at that doosey! I wonder if you need cramp ons and a ice axe to get up there!?

(Pretty bad when you need a sign)

And in case anyone was fuzzy about what the Wind river range looks like?

http://www.visitpinedale.org/explore/mountain-ranges/wind-river-mountain-range

post-735-0-40409800-1441817407_thumb.jpg

Edited by norseman