John Mionczynski

norseman

Shelter Halves= My first night in a tent. My first rainy night in a tent. First time trying to sleep in a wet sleeping bag (and failing miserably). First time I figured out it was all about the equipment.

LOL, been there done that too.

A special kind of misery, courtesy of the BSA.  (Don't touch the sides!!!!)

Thanks for sharing. It is an interesting read. I have heard about him and his endeavors.

I would no more believe him than anyone else. I would more likely believe someone like you with your method of approach. A horse and a weapon.

BFF Patron

Maybe the moon is brighter or closer to the earth in Montana or Wyoming than it is in Michigan...

Mean elevation Michigan 900ft.,  Montana 3400ft. and Wyoming 6700ft.   Maybe?   Of course it depends on weather, stage of the moon, state of narcolepsy of the decider, hand silhouette vectoring and lots of other arcane variables on the denialist slide rule du jour.  

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

Hello Norseman,

Is there a specific date on JM's tent encounter? If it was me then along with the other details I would think the date would be burned into my brain.

^^^^^^^^

He grabbed his pistol and got out of his tent. Which is exactly what you should be doing with a night time prowler. There is no safety in a tent, your just a fabric wrapped taco waiting to be consumed.

That's a great line about the taco, Norseman. I burst out with an audible laugh when I read it.  

I've slept in tents enough to know that the moonlight doesn't allow you to make out the shape of a hand, via a shadow.

I have spent a lot of time in tents too, and almost always under the canopy of trees, and completely disagree with this.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

One needs to look at tent technology of the day.  We were all still using canvas usually the forest green variety..  Maybe somebody should ask him what the tent was made out of.  I wonder if the interviewers had the presence of mind to ask that important question.

That's just not true. Eureka has been making tents since 1895 and introduced the Timberline series in the 1970s. REI and Sierra Designs had their version of nylon/polyester tents back then too. Gerry Cunningham is known as the father of lightweight camping and was making one-man backpacking tents in the 1960s. Others include Alpine Designs, Holubar, Mountain Adventure, and many more. 

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 2

^^^^^^^^

He grabbed his pistol and got out of his tent. Which is exactly what you should be doing with a night time prowler. There is no safety in a tent, your just a fabric wrapped taco waiting to be consumed.

That's a great line about the taco, Norseman. I burst out with an audible laugh when I read it.

:)

And for me as a mule skinner I have stock tied to a high line outside too that need protected.