The Strange Case Of Cullen Finnerty

Rockape

I've heard this story several times and there are certainly lots of seemingly loose ends involved. Just the part about this young, large, physically fit former college quarterback who reportedly didn't shy from physical contact being concerned that "two guys" were following him has always puzzled me. The cell phone pings are strange, I know from personal experience that Apple was having a lot of issues with iPhone system updates during that time frame but don't know if that could have affected location reporting. Absent any other evidence however, it's a very long stretch to suspecting Bigfoot involvement IMHO.

Hello Airdale,

I agree. So some speculations for thought. He put I at 8:30 pm. Seems like he might not have been confortanle navigating at night, no Flashlight maybe (seems unlikely not to have one), because to me the quickest way out would be to head back on the river from the way he came. Saquatch reports involve rocks being tossed at boaters, not brush IIRC.

The two "guys" could have been quadrupedal animals- bear or deer? Or Moose? something nocturnal as my guess is that by 9:00 pm it's all but dark, especially when looking at the terrain and the vegetation along the river. Fro Google Earth one can't even see the river it's so closed in. I also notice that the name of the campground where he put in has been changed and probably for good reason.

Strangely, all of the counties surrounding Lake have been hotspots for Bigfoot and a few people have turned up missing around Luther, Michigan in the past. The Manistee Forest is one huge forest that creeps into a few counties and whatever smaller state park systems.

Reposting this, as I placed it in the wrong sub-forum. Includes Cullen Finnerty content...

I didn't want to believe there is a disinformation effort underway, but several popular proponents have made a complete one-eighty. Thinker-Thunker was on a roll with some of the most astute analysis I've seen yet, then out of nowhere, he curiously discredits himself by contradicting his own "21 Degrees Between You And Bigfoot" analysis; claiming what are obviously human beings out on a hunting trip are "Bigfoot". He did the same with his Yellowstone Park video. If that weren't enough, he ends his string of submissions with a "Phoenix Lights" UFO analysis. ???

David Paulides (Missing 411) who literally built his missing persons investigations on Sasquatch as being the most likely protagonist. Multiple videos were uploaded, most of which are now curiously missing from YouTube. He appeared on Coast To Coast not too long ago stating; "I'm through with the Bigfoot thing..." He is now retelling the same stories, but has now replaced Sasquatch with "spirits of the forest" and UFO activity. The Dennis Martin case is one of the most perplexing I've heard. Mr. Paulides originally stated that the subject seen carrying the body Dennis Martin was described as a "Bigfoot". When he tells the story now, he describes it as "a wild man wearing animal skins."  ???

Then there is the case of ex-pro quarterback Cullen Finnerty. I tracked this case from day-one. It took 4 months for the coroner to come-up with "secondary drowning" as the cause of death? I traded emails with Will Jevning on this one, and he agreed with the suspicious nature of the entire event. The ping from Cullen's cell phone at was tracked as far as 4 miles from where his boat was found, with rapid movement throughout the area. A woman who was monitoring his cell phone ping location stated; "Is he trying to avoid us?" Whenever they got close to the ping, it would move in an alternate direction! He was eventually found 1/4 mile from boat, still wearing his waders, face-down in the brush and slightly covered by surrounding debris. One of the people in the search party described his body as "shocking". Why?

Later that same year, a man and his son (in the same area) reported huge boulder size rocks being thrown at their boat from the river bank. 

There was also some cell phone issues, as in the ''pings'' were tracked going like 20 miles an hour from eachother, that was not mentioned in this thread. Think I heard it on Sas Chronicles. Is that show still around?

One issue here could be that he was sort of ''messed up'', and that possibley, the ''sassy's'' picked up on that, and that he was a very strange human, so they off-ed him for that reason.

Mental disabilities was one criterea mentioned in the 411 series, although I didnt see alot of that scanning through the book just yet. Females and children mainly.

Since Cullen was fishing, there was really no reason to dock the boat. Maybe he had to pee? "One oar missing..." ? If had to guess, I'm going to say that Cullen was being pelted with rock/debris from the shoreline, and decided to engage the perp(s) directly. He grabbed a paddle as a defensive weapon, and the rest as they say, is history... He made at least two phone calls stating he "...was being followed". Interesting! If he were being followed (I believe he was), and the coroners were not able to positively ID a cause of death; why did this not default to a criminal case? Is there any way to file a FOIA request for the phone records? Who am I kidding... Those were probably deleted within days of the event. 

I'm not buying the "secondary drowning, due to pneumonia" explanation. Anyone who has had pneumonia knows that there is no-way Cullen would have been in any condition to be out fishing, nor would he have wanted to. I have pneumonia, but I think I'll head out to do a little fishing this weekend... Right! One of the searchers described the appearance of the body as "shocking!" Who was this person? What was so "shocking" about a person laying face-down the the brush? 

I think pneumonia is water in the lungs on an autopsy report not just acdiagnosed sickness. I am going off memory (which is never good)

As stated previous there should be pre and post mortem beuising ststed on report.

The news clip was really well done. There may may def been some nump to comclusion seeing the ex wwe wrestler chris nowinski is is valid but also on acwitch hunt with sports head injuries and concusssions.

What the coroner said..

“It’s complicated. I’m trying to put this together and connect the dots,†Cohle said. “I’m the first to admit I’m doing my best based on the facts we have. I think it’s reasonable to say all this is informed hypothesizing, because nobody knows what was going on out there.â€

“I am deducing that because it seems unlikely he had pneumonia while on this trip,†the pathologist said. “I can’t say he didn’t. But it seems like if he had been clinically unwell, he wouldn’t have gone fishing. It’s a medical hypothesis. It’s a reasoned hypothesis, but it isn’t absolute.â€

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/08/cullen_finnertys_cause_of_deat.html

Since Cullen was fishing, there was really no reason to dock the boat. Maybe he had to pee?

He didn't really "dock" the boat, he told his wife someone was following him and he was getting hit by brush so he was getting off the river. There was no dock where he left the water.

I'm not buying the "secondary drowning, due to pneumonia" explanation. Anyone who has had pneumonia knows that there is no-way Cullen would have been in any condition to be out fishing, nor would he have wanted to. I have pneumonia, but I think I'll head out to do a little fishing this weekend...

Pneumonia was only a guess by the coroner. He admits he doesn't really know.

Right! One of the searchers described the appearance of the body as "shocking!" Who was this person? What was so "shocking" about a person laying face-down the the brush?

I haven't seen where anyone said that. Have a link?

I think pneumonia is water in the lungs on an autopsy report not just acdiagnosed sickness.

Water in the lungs would be drowning. The coroner didn't say anything about water in the lungs, just that one lung had signs of pneumonia.

The Boston University medical team also said a definitive cause of death could not be determined.

“Unfortunately because of the complexity of his medications and medical status, it is impossible to determine the specific combination of factors that led to his tragic death,†the statement said.

Edited by Rockape

I don't think there is enough evidence to conclusively point one direction. I also don't think there is enough evidence to rule out any conclusion either. The fact that there have been similar cases like this with people not having concussion and other disabilities makes me lean towards something other than a disability related cause. But still not enough evidence to make me chalk this up to unknown.

There's enough evidence to say he had a psychotic episode which caused him to abandon his boat and go into the woods. Why he died is another matter.

This quote talks about secondary drowning and how quick it can cause death. I am not in any position to judge this poor guys desth but the case remains interesting to say the least.

"When someone gets submerged unexpectedly, often the first thing they try to do is take a breath and the water gets down into their lungs," Corboy said. "Most of the time they will cough or spit and think everything is fine, but that's not true for a certain number of people."