Sasquatch Vs Bear

OKBFFan

There was a fairly detailed report of a bear versus bigfoot event reported to have occurred in Kamchatka.  The guides/trackers indicated that these encounters weren't common, but did on occasion occur.

Reported in Bigfoot Encounters, titled, Kamchatka, Russia - The Alaskan Bridge - "The Big Battle."

When I read reports, I look for nuggets of information that would maybe not be apparent - but very interesting.  In this report, ".  .  .  J.G. saw something curious, it was a large tree branch, 4 and a half feet to five feet long and about 5-6" in diameter at the big end, and 4 or so at the other end."  (I assume he meant 4" at the other end - it's a logical assumption.)  It obviously had been torn off a nearby tree.  J.G. said he looked at it twice as they move through the area because the big end had blood and fur on it."

Here's two thoughts.  First, bears have fur.  My opinion ONLY, is that these giants have hair.  There's a big difference.  (Just like dogs have hair and shed, wolves have fur and don't.)

Second, when I see woodcarvings, mural paintings, and metal pressings from Medieval sources, they depict the Woodwose, or European bigfoot, and in about half the depictions I've seen, the giants carry a club.

A fighting tool.  Used by men, even in other areas around the world as a primary weapon, but especially in more ancient times.  And apparently, also used on occasion by these critters.

Gum, I knew you would find tidbits, thanks. And thanks DWA for the book info..

So their relationship is obviously strained due to...competition for resources? Natural enemies?

Those terms aren't mutually exclusive.  In the animal kingdom, the relationship between "natural enemies" is always driven by resource competition.

If one is a predator and the other the prey, it's pretty obvious.  (The prey is the resource the predator wants; the prey isn't so good with that.)  In the case of sasquatch and bear, niche competition is inevitable, because sasquatch have been observed eating practically everything bears eat.  But there's a lot of this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niche_differentiation

Sasquatch have hands; they're bipedal; they (presumably, but...?) have bigger brains.  Even though they eat what bears eat, they (and bears) can move on to B (or C, D, E, etc.) if they find the other animal eating A.  As they are big nasty and can do potentially fatal damage to one another, I'd expect the usual reaction when they meet (or have scent or other intimation that they're going to) is:  you go your way, I go mine.  (Alley has a particularly compelling report of same in an encounter-that-almost-happened between a sasquatch and a coastal brownie.  Carnivore cites what may be the same, or may be a very similar, account.)

If I were a betting man, I'd say that black bears would scat pretty quick, given the overall reported size differences.  Even brown bears in the wild, will tend to avoid confrontations, although there are always exceptions.

I can see an older, massive, king-of-the-hill brown bear being very cantankerous and territorial, and maybe willing to try to run off a bigfoot at the drop of a hat, and drop the hat himself if no one else will.  Another scenario of attack would be a momma brown bear with cubs - they attack instinctively.

I can see accidental meeting engagements during berry season - in a berry patch - and again - it's just my opinion, but I think the bear might be at a disadvantage as there are often as not - other family/clan members, and now it's the bigfoot fighting to protect family.

These two species, living in the same areas, are familiar with each other.  How they interact as a matter of normal run-ins would be interesting to find out.  We see trees twisted off several feet above the ground, and other trees snapped off several feet above the ground.

A brown bear for example, reaches high up as he can, and scratches the tree aggressively to demonstrate his size, and his territory.  When another bear wanders into his territory, he'll reach up and check his size against his potential opponent.  If he can't reach as high, he likely moves out of the territory.

Bigfoot probably is aware of this behavior - since he lives out there full time - and when he sees the sign himself - he knows what he may be up against.  It's possible that the bears - likewise wise to the existence and behavior of the bigfoot - may look at the broken and twisted trees, and decide in advance he doesn't want any of what this big feller may offer.

Everything is speculation without the narratives of reported witnesses.

So their relationship is obviously strained due to...competition for resources? Natural enemies?

I cannot locate the report I was looking for at the moment but it was by a hunter who allegedly witnessed an encounter between Sasquatch and bear. In a brief tussle a terrified hunter says the Sasquatch twisted the bear’s head like a rubber band, in his words.  

I cannot locate the report I was looking for at the moment but it was by a hunter who allegedly witnessed an encounter between Sasquatch and bear. In a brief tussle a terrified hunter says the Sasquatch twisted the bear’s head like a rubber band, in his words.  

Considering the size of some of the ones in my area(Leaving 5-6 inch wide heel prints) and the unreal power behind some of the knocks I have heard. I can say with confidence that as far as dangerousness goes a mountain lion is like a housecat and a big black bear is like a small dog to them. Just no hope for something like that in a fight with one of these big dudes.

Well its all relative, a coastal brown Bear aint no Ape's lap dog. No way. A 1200 lbs Bear is a force to be reckoned with. And in Siberia big Bears are known to kill Siberian Tigers. The biggest Cats in the world...........

• Upvote 1

Well its all relative, a coastal brown Bear aint no Ape's lap dog. No way. A 1200 lbs Bear is a force to be reckoned with. And in Siberia big Bears are known to kill Siberian Tigers. The biggest Cats in the world...........

Big cats are the fiercest predators on the land imho, glad we don't have any tigers in the states is all I can say! Totally agreed about the brown bears though, totally different ballpark from the "little" black bears we got over here in the east. When you are talking about a 8-1200lbs critter it stops being a animal and turns into a force of nature!

Actually, Amur tigers (the proper name) are known to regularly hunt both Asiatic black and brown bears.

Were I a NA brownie, I'd generally want no part of a big male sasquatch ...and reported encounters seem to bear that out.

Smaller browns? Absolutely. Big browns? Well.....they end up dead. The Cat cannot give up that much size difference.

Concerning Bigfoot? The only Bears that get that big in NA live in Alaska.