Skunk Ape Sighting Or Cgi?

Guest 67Mopar

Well, its Florida the land of exotic tropical pets turned loose, maybe a Jag or Leopard?

It really doesn't make sense. It has to be a hybrid or a species not documented.

A cougar is a screamer. A jaguar roars. In these urban areas there should be at least audio evidence.

Leopards roars have been reported to sound like screams. Maybe the wild pet theory is no that far off. The USA has more big cats in private ownership than an other country. They have had numerous cases of said animals escaping their en-closer or being released (think the Ohio incident 2011). Canada has had incidents where someones big cat has escaped into the wilds. Could it be a black cougar sure but what is the probability? Most animals, mammals in particular, have a melanistic gene. We see it in other big cats, such as leopards, jaguars and even 2 cases of bobcats in Florida in the 1930's. It is seen in squirrels, guinea pigs, deer, hog, etc. Some animals such as those in the canine family also have what some count as adaptive Melanism. So is it possible sure but it would be exceedingly rare. I have talked to people I personal know who state they have seen a large black cat and do not doubt they saw a large black cat in the wilds (one in North America the other grew up in the UK). Do I trust them that it was what they said, yeah. Still I think it would be rare to see and more likely an escaped pet turned feral or reverting back to a wild state. Maybe the second generation of said pet. Maybe a large black bobcat even. I do not doubt nature has more secrets than we yet know. 

Guest ChasingRabbits

Speaking of "big cat sightings" this happened almost 10 years ago.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2006-04-28/news/0604280355_1_andrews-air-force-force-base-two-creatures

About a year later, a friend told me about her handyman's experience with a "big cat". My friend lives about 7 miles from the Base and her handyman lived in the same area but in a more wooded part adjacent to a creek. She and I both thought he was full of it because he had a poor work ethic and made up a bunch of excuses for not completing her deck/porch. Anyhow, he was absent from the job site for a couple of days because he said his dog was attacked by something in the night. Per him, he and his family awoke to something growling/roaring near their house. And they heard the dogs and whatever it was fighting. In the morning, one of the dogs was half-dead and the other had minor injuries. Again, I think he was full of BS (another excuse he used was that he and his family awoke to sirens and lights---only to find the cops surrounding his house because there was liquor store robber was hiding in his garden shed.....)

Not a stump... Way too dark. If it's legit, it's more than likely a black panther.

I think the black panthers disbanded in the late 70s early 80s and generally operated in more urban enviornments.
Nevermind. Edited by Bonehead74

Hello 67Mopar,

I know what you mean about not being able to avoid it. No one feels good when animals go down that way. It's a shame really. A red squirrel ran under my truck tire one Summer a few years back. My window was down and I heard it get mashed. My ride home? Not the best I've ever had. Can't imagine a large cat.

As far as science needing a body? They do because Sasquatch staying away from Humans isn't the issue. It's keeping the danged Humans away from them. The pile of reports, though admittedly anecdotal, only demonstrate how Humans have moved on the creature- not the other way round.

As far as looking for a body we saw a lot of moose and bear scat along with fresh prints of both. It was fun and the time with my boys is always priceless. They're both in their thirties now and really enjoy these excursions hiking around with the "ol' man".

And if I was a hunter and had one in my crosshairs whether or not I would pull the trigger is too complicated for a simple yes or no. A lot of factors would have to be true first which is a discussion in and of itself that many here have detailed better than I ever could.

A witness on a TV show I saw years ago said he had a Bigfoot in his sights but couldn't pull the trigger because it seemed human like.

• Upvote 1

There is  likely no such thing as a skunk ape. We have escaped  primates.   I am filmiliar with their capture and hoaxes.  Funny thing about so called skunk apes.  Visitors from the north see them and report  them. , Locals  rarely ever do.   Conclusion  : Not  proven.

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The only black phase cat known by science is a jaguar in north America. Cougars are never black.

You should have retrieved the body.

Not so, Norseman. There is another wildcat that often has a black phase that has inhabited the Southwest and areas along the Southern coast for years. Not as large as a cougar, but at a distance could be mistaken for a "black" panther. (The Jaguar has also reclaimed some of those same areas.) The smaller cat is the Juguarundi.

I would never say never about black cougars; too many of the other big cats have rare black phases. No one can say for sure they don't exist. I've even heard folks say "there ain't no such critter as a Bigfoot".  

• Upvote 1

Its not the same thing. We have cougars in captivity and we have their DNA, they do not have a black phase.

The Jaguarundi has a grey and red phase so ill stand corrected. Thanks!:) Ocelots also have a black phase but i guess i wasnt thinking small.

Edited by norseman

I think it speaks well of bigfoot enthusiasts' ability and willingness to engage in critical thinking, things we're accused by the scoftics of not doing.     Hint: many of us, "knowers" included, look at evidence with a very critical eye, we're just not snarky enough to meet the scoftic demands.

MIB

Edited by MIB

We had a close call with something.  We were driving towards Macinaw bridge in the UP around 10PM.  It was extremely dark and my wife was driving.  I was to be watching for deer which I was on my side of the road thinking she could handle her side.

Something ran directly in front of us from her side.  She slammed on the brakes and I turned my head left.  I was able to see something black and sleek just miss the front right corner of our car as we skidded.  I caught a glimpse of the tail which was fairly long so it was not a bear.  It could have been a black dog but it appeared catlike from the brief glimpse I saw.  We did not stop and she was shaken so up the road about a mile or so I took over driving.  When we got to the bridge 6-7 miles up the road and we asked the bridge teller and they mentioned there have been quite a few black cat sightings lately.