Bigfoot And Ghosts

Bonehead74

With Halloween just around the corner, I was reminded of an old but unshared (and most likely not original) theory of mine about a possible relationship between some reportedly haunted places and bigfoot.

While perusing a website that related supposed spooky goings-on at a few local haunted locations, I was struck by the fact that several of the outdoor locations (a cemetery, a mass grave, and a Revolutionary War battlefield) are each within a mile or two of areas with (relatively) credible bigfoot activity personally investigated by myself over the years. An intriguing coincidence in itself, and one which got even more interesting as I read the purported ghostly activities at these sites.

Reports of glowing red eyes, inhuman screams, sounds of footfalls and breathing with no visible source, and the sense (and sounds) of being shadowed/paralleled while in the location. This should sound very familiar to anyone with an even passing familiarity with the bigfoot phenomenon. Instead of ghosts, I have a sneaking suspicion that folks may be encountering a local sasquatch or two in these areas.

I am interested to know if anyone here is aware of any correlating reports in their area, as well as anyone's thoughts on the possibility that some 'ghosts' reported out there may actually be alive, eight feet tall with a size 24 foot, and in need of a full-body waxing.

Edited by Bonehead74
  • Upvote 1

Or perhaps reported Bigfoot activity is the work of ghosts. Take the nawac for example they can't get pictures, video or physical evidence but they hear all manner of bumps in the night. Could the rocks thrown be agents of a poltergeist? I'd say it's certainly plausible if not down right factual. When they witness a bigfoot its so brief they can't even take a picture or get a shot off. It could be the spirits showing themselves briefly in some warg form. Wood ghosts?

I agree, Bonehead, that a lot of phenomenon attributed to other things could be bigfoot originated.  Ghosts, werewolves, jersy devil, etc.  A whole host of putative monsters can be spawned by sightings of a single real "monster".  It's also the simplest explanation.

Well some of the most common ghost related activities in my neck of the woods are, knocks, low whoops, moans, claps. All of which are commonly heard in the wooded areas and referred to as "ghosts". So it would fit to be sure that they could be Sasquatch. Ghosts, monsters and the unknown are a big part of the culture where I am from. So i don't doubt there is some connection between them. Not saying Sasquatch is a ghost or anything like that but it would make sense that there are some connections. We even have "ghost" stories from where I am from that talk about hairy ghosts in the woods. So yeah.

By the way great topic, love halloween.

Grew up not far from Donner Pass, and the Donner Party was something we learned about in the third grade.  All sorts of "ghost" stories in the communities on the East slopes of the Sierras.  One I remember was of a crazed old cannibal woman who lived in the woods and would come scratching on your tent or camper with her eight inch nails.

Those of us who think sasquatch might be an alternative explanation aren't saying they're "ghost-like," just that people encountering certain phenomena (which as Bonehead noted seem consistent with stuff reported frequently for sasquatch encounters) tend to chalk them up to certain stuff.

1980squatch, you (and possibly Norse) need to read my original post more closely. I never said or implied that bigfoot are in any way ghost-like, only that bigfoot activity might be mistaken for ghostly phenomena.

ETA- DWA correctly understands my hypothesis.

Edited by Bonehead74

If someone is claiming to have a encountered a ghost, but you are suggesting that might have actually been near a sasquatch, then I would suggest that they obviously did not get a clear look at what they saw or heard, or whatever, and the whole claim should be suspect.

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 1

Bindernagel points out that before the gorilla was widely known in the Western world, and provided an alternative template, "wildman" was the appellation for the animal we now know as sasquatch and the reference point for those talking about it.  Before phenomena not connected directly to the animal's appearance started showing up frequently in sasquatch encounter reports, "ghosts" - a ubiquitous societal meme for the unknown and unseen - might have tended to be used the same way.

Edited by DWA

If someone is claiming to have a encountered a ghost, but you are suggesting that might have actually been near a sasquatch, then I would suggest that they obviously did not get a clear look at what they saw or heard, or whatever, and the whole claim should be suspect.

No kidding. All such claims should be evaluated skeptically. That doesn't mean we should dismiss them, though.

• Upvote 1

I dont think so.

Why not, Norse?

The stories I read about ghosts or shows i sometimes watch are mostly about haunted houses, etc.

Abberations moving from room to room, doors opening closing, cold rooms, recordings of voices played backwards, things levitating, etc.

Not sure how that corresponds to bigfoot.

Maybe some eye shine in a window or something?