Why Reports Of The Yeti Are In Decline.

Cotter

Getting back to more the point if this post. Sounds like this village had very few sightings of yeti signs to begin with and I don't recall it even stating someone had actually saw one. One account given by an older lady was of seeing footprints in the snow some 60 years ago, the other was from someone that last saw signs 15 years ago when he found a lair made of bamboo and 5 years before that saw tracks and a body impression in the snow.

What's also odd is some of the characteristics they claim a yeti has. They believe their feet are backwards on their body to fool trackers and that they are not able to bend their bodies which they also attribute this to evil spirits. As the article states this is why they build entry ways so you have to step up into them but low overheads so you also have to tilt your head, keeps yetis and unwanted spirits out.

I've not spent much time reading up on the yeti legends but think I'm going to do so. Sounds to me I may find they are more of a mythical being or creature akin to some Native American beliefs regarding BF.

Native peoples will always embellish their bestiary with legends and tall tales.  That doesn't mean there isn't any evidence.

To me, yeti evidence isn't as copious as for sasquatch, but outside of native tall tales - seriously doubting their feet are backwards - it is pretty consistent.  The Shipton and Cronin tracks are remarkably consistent with others found; the latter's account of his track find is especially compelling.  This book is worth getting one's hands on just to read a lyrical scientific mind at work; but the yeti chapter is probably the best and most readable condensed summary of the yeti evidence in print, and contains discussion of the track find in full:  

http://www.amazon.com/ARUN-VALLEY-Edward-W-Cronin/dp/0395262992/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446765558&sr=8-3&keywords=Edward+Cronin

When a guy with his credentials says what he says:  I'm flat laughing at anyone who has nothing but True Belief In Ain't So to counteract it.

Unlike the apparent case with sasquatch, the locals are pretty uniform in their insistence that yeti are real animals.  Had I a shred of curiosity I'd want to know why; I wouldn't care about which way reports were trending...and I would in no way want to stop where we are.

My point is simply to establish the commonality between the sasquatch and yeti. Sighting data suggests that these animals can survive, even thrive, in various environments- from the sub-zero temperatures that are sometimes found in the Himalayas and the PNW, to the warmer temperatures of the south. Although it does get cold in most southern locations, but the temperature does not dip below freezing nearly as often as it does in the northern states. Sasquatch almost seem to inhabit the same general latitudes around the globe, although Australia does not really fit, and I am not sure of the existence of sasquatch in South America, which I think would be about the latitudinal equivalent of that continent.

One common aspect that was interesting was people in the eastern Himalayas reporting a foul odor, just like many people in North America have reported.

There is way too much about this topic that says:  keep an open mind.  Which is something that humans - and especially scientists - seem to have a very very hard time doing.  We seem, as one scientist once put it, incapable of holding a suspended judgment.

That book I linked up there includes an incisive and positive response to the yeti evidence ...by a superb scientific mind.  That trumps pretty much all blank, evidence-free 'skepticism.'  It doesn't have to prove to the ignorant that yeti is real.  All it has to do - and to any mind of scientific bent, it does - is say:  there is no reason anyone can come up with not to keep an open mind and an eye peeled on this.

If you tell me the unicorn is real, I say:  show me your evidence.  If all you can show me is four hoofprints and a hole, that you say was made by the horn, I just say:  tried a camera trap?

What keeps people from maintaining open minds, is what I am *constantly* asking myself on sites like this.

"If you tell me the unicorn is real, I say:  show me your evidence.  If all you can show me is four hoofprints and a hole, that you say was made by the horn, I just say:  tried a camera trap?

What keeps people from maintaining open minds, is what I am *constantly* asking myself on sites like this."

What does that have to do with the current topic?  If you don't want threads to spiral into a debate about existence or lack of evidence, then I suggest not including things like the above in every single, bingle, dingle, zingle post you make. 

k, thx

Are you asking me? What does it matter? I see where you are going. People claim to see something, therefore that something is more likely to be true.  Care to explain to the folks at home which logical fallacy that is?  Since you are so fond of pointing out logical fallacies?

Edited by dmaker

Well, DWA brought it up most recently in this thread. I simply mentioned unicorns along with tea pots in space to illustrate a point.  

You don't wish to pursue your argumentum ad populum?

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 1

Not particularly, I just wanted to clarify that no one on this forum has stated an actual belief in unicorns.

Really?  That is hard to believe. Your veiled fallacy is just as obvious as if you had fully voiced it.

Anything else you would like to poll the general membership about regarding what they believe and don't believe? No? 

[because...naaaah] DWA

Best post of yours EVER. If you could do that more often, that would be awesome.

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 1

No, has nothing to do with turning around on me. I was illustrating the irony that you love to point out when you think someone else is using a fallacy, yet here you are clearly using argumentum ad populum. 

d, you do exactly the same thing all the time.  You just don't like having it turned around on you.

They never do.  In fact, they don't even see that that is happening.  This is where not thinking stuff through - also called in certain circles "bigfoot skepticism" - will land you.

All that's going on here is simple evidence, presented by people who (1) were there and (2) have the local-knowledge, and some the scientific, chops.  The answer to the question, why are yeti reports, and note that is reports, not sightings, declining? has answers other than oh, they aren't real in the first place.  In fact, the most likely answer - and it is a searing indictment of science as practiced by scientists - wouldn't have anything to do with nonexistence.  It would cut to *what people were reporting,* and why that doesn't correspond with anything known.  "Native legends" is not only racist but beyond ignorant; it totally discounts the superb observational skills and ability to follow up and develop knowledge that have allowed our species - wherever it is and however much it has hitched its wagon to so-called progress - to succeed as well as it has.

Scientists create through their own accumulation of knowledge a reservoir of ignorance that they can't even get at, because the knowledge has neatly painted on blinders that weren't there before.

Edited by DWA