Bbc Article: Why Don't People See The Yeti Anymore?

Guest Stan Norton

"You guys really need to get a different playbook. The one you are using is worn out and quite frankly tiresome and very very off topic."

How can the fact that a Bigfoot has never been proven to exist be a worn out playbook? The fact that there may be unsubstantiated evidence of a large bipedal creature does not equal proof.

Guest Crowlogic

No you said they are "as wrong and dishonest as anyone else out in the woods".  You have to assume that because your belief system will not allow you to accept what they saw.    Then you jump in with the mistakes and hoaxes argument.    Which is exactly what said you do.    You guys really need to get a different playbook.     The one you are using is worn out and quite frankly tiresome and very very off topic.    

Faenor:   You could very well be right.    Using Crows word just going there is like taking a bath in bilge water.  

Back to topic.      I had a deer in my back yard last night.   Did I go around the neighborhood and tell all the neighbors I had a deer in the yard?   No they are common.     Similarly Tibetans just accept Yeti as one of the local creatures and probably no big deal if you see one because you may know several people who have seen one.   Its not like it is a good bar topic to bring up over drinks because where they live there are probably not any local bars either.   

Have you had any Tibetans tell you they take Yeti as a matter of casual fact?  Or is it a supposition because it supports your view?

Bad example since you make the same sort of judgments about what Tibetans think that you accuse me of.    How many Tibetans have told you that Yeti is a myth and fantasy?   Perhaps you need to go there and lecture them on their own sightings and mistaken animal sightings?    You and Bobo could both be famous there and chased out of the country.   

I asked you the question of whether you had directly heard from a Tibetan about their Yeti beliefs.  Your words   Similarly Tibetans just accept Yeti as one of the local creatures and probably no big deal if you see one because you may know several people who have seen one.       

Exactly how does that correspond to how I think you think?  I stated no opinion on how Tibetans think.  However I'll bet the better educated ones are less likely to consider Yeti at this point in time.

Edited by Crowlogic

Falsifying a poster's statements in phony quotations is pretty low. I know we can all strive to be better than that.

• Upvote 1

True, but more likely lack of contact.

If the Yeti were simply tall tales and folklore, then one would probably expect the tall tales to continue even under the recent changes.  A friend of a relative in a distant town encountered.....just last week.

If the populace considers it to be a real creature, then they will be more likely to only report real encounters.

Edited by JDL

If the Yeti were simply tall tales and folklore, then one would probably expect the tall tales to continue even under the recent changes. "

Not really. If the yeti is a myth that is becoming less popular, then fewer people would be discussing it. It would be less in the minds eye, so to speak. We know from observing human behavior and perception that false sightings can be generated of an animal simply by a heightened public excitement and awareness. Look at the escaped red panda sightings in Rotterdam, 1978. The bear had perished just outside the zoo, yet there were hundreds of reported sightings all over the city. Or more recently, the supposed lion running around Milwaukee. 

If the myth is losing ground, I would expect fewer reports. I would not expect them to persist despite a corresponding decline in the number of people discussing or thinking about the yeti. 

Edited by dmaker

If the Yeti were simply tall tales and folklore, then one would probably expect the tall tales to continue even under the recent changes. "

Not really. If the yeti is a myth that is becoming less popular, then fewer people would be discussing it. It would be less in the minds eye, so to speak. We know from observing human behavior and perception that false sightings can be generated of an animal simply by a heightened public excitement and awareness. Look at the escaped red panda sightings in Rotterdam, 1978. The bear had perished just outside the zoo, yet there were hundreds of reported sightings all over the city. Or more recently, the supposed lion running around Milwaukee. 

If the myth is losing ground, I would expect fewer reports. I would not expect them to persist despite a corresponding decline in the number of people discussing or thinking about the yeti. 

Your comparing apples and oranges. What you say is true above for western civilization. But in many cultures myths are weaved through their religion and culture, its a part of them. Same could be said of native Americans and Sasquatch(or whatever they call it)

I highly doubt that Yeti is less believable somehow to the Nepalese people themselves.

I tend to agree, Norse.

Perhaps westerners are more interested in bigfoot, and less interested in yeti, nowadays. Consequently, the Nepalese have no tourist/yeti hunter industry to feed with tall tales.

BFF Patron

To keep on topic and to answer Crows question of how I know what Tibetans think, I have seen at least 3 video specials or shows where Tibetans are interviewed about Yeti.      Crow probably missed them or refused to watch them as seems to be the skeptic mode of operation.          The ones I remember were the Finding Bigtoot Tibetan special,   the Sykes Specials,  and one involving Meldrum which I think was Monsterquest or some special on the History or National Geographic channel.   .   In each case Tibetans were interviewed on camera about their beliefs and Yeti sighting experiences.      How Crow can think they believe different or think Tibetans do not accept Yeti as a real animal with a spiritual nature is beyond me.  My basis is several different interviews with Tibetans.     Not sure how Crow can or would argue with that but it will happen.   Crow as a denier will argue that they are liars,  just want attention,  and probably misidentified what they saw just like North American witnesses of BF.      Tibetan feelings about Yeti are similar to Native American views of BF.   It is a real animal but sacred in nature.     

Hate to say it but I agree with Dmaker on his last point.       Yeti could be very real but that has little bearing on the existence of BF in the North American continent.     Existence of one has little bearing on existence of the other.   Certainly my impression of the Tibetans is that they do not like Westerners questioning their belief about Yeti.     That Yeti scalp in the Monastery seems to have been some mountain goat scalp according to some reports but Tibetans refuse to accept that.    So while Tibetans do not make much money off Yeti expeditions they have happened and have been of some economic benefit.    But the revenues from the various BF series,  and BF adventure tours make Yeti stuff pale in comparison.   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

"Hate to say it but I agree with Dmaker on his last point.       Yeti could be very real but that has little bearing on the existence of BF in the North American continent.     Existence of one has little bearing on existence of the other."

Actually, that is not true.  Existence of each is seriously relevant to the existence of the other.  If one is, the other is, simple as that.

The reason?

Evidence.

There would be very much way less than zero reason to doubt the existence of either were the existence of the other proven.  The patterns of the evidence are precisely the same, even if (almost entirely owing to population and media access) the volume differs.  Never has there been, in the entire history of our species, a pattern of evidence like that for yeti and sasquatch that has not pointed to something real, being pretty much exactly what the evidence says it is.

Simple bedrock logic.  If science confirms any hairy hominoid as real, the only logical scientific response is to presume the others real as well, and execute a 24/7/365 full-court press for full taxonomical classification.

Edited by DWA

" I have seen at least 3 video specials or shows where Tibetans are interviewed about Yeti."

I'll start by admitting I know nothing of what Tibetans think of the yeti short of what I've seen on similar shows or read. That being said I would not make a claim or presume to know the overall majority's opinion based on a few shows I've seen. Would you not assume that a show about BF or the Yeti focus in on people that believe in it? Just because the shows talk to believers does not mean they represent the majority's belief.

BFF Patron

" I have seen at least 3 video specials or shows where Tibetans are interviewed about Yeti."

I'll start by admitting I know nothing of what Tibetans think of the yeti short of what I've seen on similar shows or read. That being said I would not make a claim or presume to know the overall majority's opinion based on a few shows I've seen. Would you not assume that a show about BF or the Yeti focus in on people that believe in it? Just because the shows talk to believers does not mean they represent the majority's belief.

I will accept your contention as possible if you can provide one video where a native Tibetan says that he does not think Yeti is real. Surely Sykes, if he could have found such a person would have put them on the air. CertInly such a video, if it existed, would have been presented here by our resident skeptics. I think we cannot expect that any sooner than the Patty suit.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

As my first sentence stated I do not presume to know what a majority of Tibetans believe regarding the Yeti. I've already clearly stated in this topic that I am ignorant of many things regarding the Yeti and such. What I was getting at is that I would not go about stating things as a given fact based off a few shows you have seen that were geared toward a certain view point i.e. The Yeti.