"bigfoot Captured" On History Channel

david75090

You know, it was hilarious. Almost as funny as "Exists." On another level, it ain't funny at all. When BF becomes just another werewolf/Frankenstein/mummy horror movie villain , the possibility of serious scientific inquiry recedes even further. It might already be too late. 

Well, that was an intersting show.  It's almost like, to get two hours out of it, they edited two different bigfoot shows together into one.  The documentary half, with a lot of time devoted to Meldrum's 3D printed bigfoot skeleton, and Meldrum and Bindernagel doing some squatching wtih a drone was reasonable. The second half of the show, which was interweaved with the documentary, scientific, part, was the usual scripted monster hunter, fake docudrama stuff with a group of expert hunters, trackers, and photographers hiking 5 miles into the woods, and then having a giant iron cage air lifted in for them to keep a captured bigfoot in.  The fake drama was bad, and the bigfoot looked like a cross between the costume from Harry and the Hendersons and the Lon Chaney Wolfman.  The absolute low point was the captured bigfoot singing.  

Dvrd last night . Got it on as I am working.

Great production. Some of the stuff so far is just more sillyness and of course ANOTHER show with meldrum featured.

I gotta admit I sure would enjoy doing a 3d model of a skeleton when I was in school. What a fun project.

This is more grasping and tossing as many straws up in the air in the name of entertainment.

Well, after having the whole thing on for the last two hours or so, I'll just note that I own a bridge in Brooklyn that I'm willing to sell cheap should anyone wish to buy it from me. The odd thing is that there is very reasonable clips of Drs. Meldrum and Bindernagle mixed in with the tripe. One can only hope that they were conned or that someone has used footage from another show to fill out the run-time on this one. I'm not sure if my favorite part was the rough and tumble field guide going nuts and yelling, "we have to get out our guns now!" (what are you doing in the woods in a supposedly dangerous situation without your weapons out?) or the two guys with guns shooting one of their group in a midnight shoot-out with boulder (not rock) throwing bigfoots, then going, "you're lucky we were using rubber bullets," or the hunters using the same weapons to shoot at bigfoot and to tranquilize bigfoot.

I'll caveat this with one thing - I missed the first three minutes, so if there was a disclaimer saying "This is a wildly fictionalized show about how a bigfoot might be captured," I missed it. 

I bailed after the cold open with the cage but I'll try to fast forward to the Meldrum part. I will say that giving Meldrum the benefit of the doubt by saying "duped" or "conned" seems like an excuse that is wearing thing, at least for me. He's been associated with a growing list of questionable expeditions, people and claims and it feels like he's not chastened at all. 

What, Meldrum was a knowing participant in that schlock fest?  I could stomach about 5 minutes of it, and I came in somewhere in the middle, where the Blair Witch factor was getting ramped up. Times must be hard for him, if so.  (BTW, here's a research tip: Want BF on video? Just strap a Gopro to a nubile, hysterically screaming research assistant. Worked with King Kong, after all)

There's a lot of stuff I don't watch based on people's reactions to it on this forum.  This will be one of them.

Heck, I've only ever watched maybe four episodes of Finding Bigfoot.  Not enough meat on the bone.

I think it might be said, as I am saying it, that "Bigfoot" has ''Jumped the Shark!" That is....its peaked out, social saturation is at a peak and will start to decline. Last season of Finding BF. With no results anywhere, people will get bored with the topic. :fan:

I can't watch Fargo anymore, at one point it just got too dark. Gotham, on the other hand, is totally awsome , 2nd season is much much better, cleaner than the first. I am floored with Gotham. Walking Dead is good, getting a bit loose though, (I called Glen didn't die on that show). Waiting for Game, I dunno, what else is out there that is good???????

They need to do a good Western Series, but could they top Lonesome? Doubt it.

Oh, Fric!! The Americans! Exellent show!! Should be starting in January.

Edited by Wag

If you just look at the show as entertainment, it was enjoyable.  I haven't even watched it all yet, but entertaining is a fair word - but in such a way as to make anyone looking for real BF research sick to their stomach.  I admit to laughing hilariously - a lot - when I watched the final twenty minutes last night.  That alone was worth it for me.  The positive endorphins from laughing so much was good medicine for me!  I did DVR it - and it will be something I will watch in it's entirety tonight.  And probably keep on my DVR for a while and put it on as background viewing (as I often do with many things) while I do other things at home.  I dunno why shows like that make good background viewing - probably the hilarity factor.

I think it might be said, as I am saying it, that "Bigfoot" has ''Jumped the Shark!" That is....its peaked out, social saturation is at a peak and will start to decline. Last season of Finding BF. With no results anywhere, people will get bored with the topic. :fan:

I can't watch Fargo anymore, at one point it just got too dark. Gotham, on the other hand, is totally awsome , 2nd season is much much better, cleaner than the first. I am floored with Gotham. Walking Dead is good, getting a bit loose though, (I called Glen didn't die on that show). Waiting for Game, I dunno, what else is out there that is good???????

Nevermind Lonesome, what about Deadwood?  Best western series ever.

I don't get Gotham. Much like Smallville, why would I want to watch a superhero show without a superhero?  What's next, Peter Parker: Paperboy?

"Jumped the shark" pretty much summarizes it perfectly.

I did enjoy most of it except the ridiculous cage expedition segments.

But I am honestly very thin on both meldrum and Bindernagel in every single thing we see BF. There is I guess no harm of course in them riding this as far as it will go.

Hell people get paid to research kangaroo farts so getting paid to be a "Sasquatch expert" on TV isn't so bad...

Nevermind Lonesome, what about Deadwood?  Best western series ever.

I don't get Gotham. Much like Smallville, why would I want to watch a superhero show without a superhero?  What's next, Peter Parker: Paperboy?

Oh, you see Penguin, and etc 5 or 6 major villians as they grow up, litterally, and where they came from. Pure genius, sort of a Batman prequel, just like Star Wars. Good characters, ugh, just too good.

Deadwood. Uhm, really, was the ''F'' word really used every third word?  Every second word is a swear word. Really?

No, Deadwood, tried and tried, but the swearing, really, is more than half the script. Cant do it.

Lonesome with Major Actors, and ALL the spinoffs, best Westerns on TV ever. Frig.