Reasons To Be Doubtful

Lake County Bigfooot

Need to maybe reopen the Jacobs case? The feet/paws always were an issue for me however. Labelling everything a possible juvenile just because the dimensions don't stack up doesn't sit well with me either.

southernyahoo I have heard such hollering recorded in the PNW at the Browns property,

It could simply be a vocally talented human, but again the time of night I am recording

this stuff and the inflection, pitch, and tonal quality strike me as unusual. If coyotes

can make that sort of hollering vocal I have not heard it before. This recording did occur

around the same time coyotes were vocalizing in the area, but I had some other strange

sounds that day, this was the one I isolated because it stood out as non canid.

It was the exact same case for me. I isolated that call from a much longer recording and canines were in the area at the time which also vocalized. There is definitely some human-like calls that happen in close association with coyotes. This is why some folks arrive at the notion that they (BF) and coyotes have some sort of symbiotic relationship. People do report that BF seemed to be either trying to stir up the coyotes or trying to get them to shut up.

Here is the longer version of the file I posted with what I think is either a dog or coyote responding to the whooo call.

STMN calls..mp3

southernyahoo I have heard such hollering recorded in the PNW at the Browns property,

It could simply be a vocally talented human, but again the time of night I am recording

this stuff and the inflection, pitch, and tonal quality strike me as unusual. If coyotes

can make that sort of hollering vocal I have not heard it before. This recording did occur

around the same time coyotes were vocalizing in the area, but I had some other strange

sounds that day, this was the one I isolated because it stood out as non canid.

It was the exact same case for me. I isolated that call from a much longer recording and canines were in the area at the time which also vocalized. There is definitely some human-like calls that happen in close association with coyotes. This is why some folks arrive at the notion that they (BF) and coyotes have some sort of symbiotic relationship. People do report that BF seemed to be either trying to stir up the coyotes or trying to get them to shut up.

Here is the longer version of the file I posted with what I think is either a dog or coyote responding to the whooo call.

attachicon.gifSTMN calls..mp3

I have always had this notion that they have always run with coyotes. Also have the notion that they use them to push deer or maybe even herd them. There is a test you can do and that is by playing this sound in a neighborhood on loud speaker some place and see how dogs react.

I will play coyote sounds downtown Detroit where I live and my neighbors dos going with that. Sill have not been able to get a coyote to show up yet. But it is fun doing this.

Yup Yup, Listening to your recording reminds me much of what I have heard. Listen again to this recording below, at the very outset you hear a siren, then listen to the first response to the siren and the simultaneous wood knocking. I suspect that this first voice is an imitator, though I could be wrong, what makes me think so is the tonality is slightly different and the wood knocking so timed to that first call. Was this imitation, if you allow, being done for the purpose of getting the pack going? I am probably wrong, but it is an interesting thought. Perhaps I will get David Ellis to profile these audio signatures to see if they better match the coyotes...that is if he will undertake the task.

sirens coyotes tree knocks.mp3

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Ok, so I have given you all my reasons for belief and tempered that belief by saying it could easily and maybe probably be explained in another

fashion. Being true to this assumption I have sent some of my recordings to David Ellis of the Olympic Project asking for his opinion on what is

making some of the stranger vocalizations. I was almost reluctant to send them thinking he will just dismiss them as animal in origin, say coyote

or perhaps fox, I am ready to hear whatever his conclusions are, if he indeed takes some time to obtain the spectrographic signatures of the

perpetrators. Whatever the nature of his conclusions I will post them here. An open inquiry if you will....

Enjoy your holidays!!! I might be recording for the heck of it as the snow melted again...and being the "believer" that I surely am....

Definitely keep recording. The spectrographs can show the formants of the vocalizations, but don't put too much weight in the opinion that they are all coyotes, particularly with the associated knocks. If you've heard the recordings from the Michigan Recording Project, they had pretty much the same things with knocks, whoops, ahhhh screams, chatter and outright shouting that sounds so human, most would be satisfied that's all it was. The circumstances is about all that would suggest otherwise along with a direct sighting. 

• Upvote 1

I'm new to the forum and I have no experiences of my own to share, but given the great discussion in this thread, I'm curious about what you all think of the Bigfoot edition of Newsweek magazine. Although it doesn't contain a tremendous amount of new information, it's point-of-view comes across as if Bigfoot has already been acknowledged. I find that very odd.

• Upvote 1

Yup Yup, Listening to your recording reminds me much of what I have heard. Listen again to this recording below, at the very outset you hear a siren, then listen to the first response to the siren and the simultaneous wood knocking. I suspect that this first voice is an imitator, though I could be wrong, what makes me think so is the tonality is slightly different and the wood knocking so timed to that first call. Was this imitation, if you allow, being done for the purpose of getting the pack going? I am probably wrong, but it is an interesting thought. Perhaps I will get David Ellis to profile these audio signatures to see if they better match the coyotes...that is if he will undertake the task.

Hi LCB,

It sounds like the coyotes were probably just responding to the siren. I live out in the country and sometimes the coyotes and neighbors dogs will respond vocally after a siren noise.

http://bob-bystrom.com/robert_bystrom/Of_Forests,_Fields,_Ponds,_and_Gardens/Entries/2014/4/1_Why_do_Coyotes_Yip-Howl_When_Sirens_Sound.html

I'm new to the forum and I have no experiences of my own to share, but given the great discussion in this thread, I'm curious about what you all think of the Bigfoot edition of Newsweek magazine. Although it doesn't contain a tremendous amount of new information, it's point-of-view comes across as if Bigfoot has already been acknowledged. I find that very odd.

I don't find anything odd about the "Newsweek Special Edition Bigfoot."  It seems to do a fair treatment of what researchers say about this subject and does mention some things that didn't pan out, like the alleged Yeti skull cap covered in hair turned out to be goat skin.  Henry May did a video evaluating it and going through all the different things in this Newsweek Special Edition, giving a brief synopsis throughout.  Here is his video:

Yes, thanks Jay!

And thanks ChesterCopperpot for mentioning the magazine. Did not know about that, I'll have to see if I can pick one up.

Yes, the coyotes definitely do respond to sirens, I have seen it a million times, well maybe not a million. What I find interesting in that recording is that no coyotes respond right away, and when the response comes it is simultaneous with wood knocking that seems to come from the same area. Well as I have said it is probably coyotes vocals, but the knocker, who knows. Listen again to how close together the first voice is with the knocking, uncanny I would say... Also that first coyote has a kind of weird tonality, though that has to be proven, because they start up in a huge variety of vocals at different times. Most nights I catch them going off, sometimes 4-10 times in the same recording period, nothing quite matches this situation in this recording and I am referring to hundreds(perhaps thousands) of episodes I have listened to. Tonight I am recording in a semi nearby cemetery that is adjacent to a stream that is full of deer and coyotes, it is also surrounded by farm fields and a nice lowland forest, the cougar that was shot in North Chicago several years back was spotted in this area which is a feeder to the Des Plaines river which is currently flooded....when that water recedes I will be looking for prints in the exposed substrates. Research can easily be coupled with a good walk which I enjoy fully.

Living on a Chain of Lakes there are several bridges in proximity..

I miss Henry May on the MNBRT Radio show with the elusive one. Nice to see Henry doing

his thing with the Newsweek Article, and I agree with him that press coverage is a good thing

one way or the other, it gets individuals to do some investigation, and that is positive for the

whole issue becoming more mainstream.