Has Anyone Ever Had A Hanging Deer Get Taste Tested?

Painthorse

@Celtic, pics include the barn to show that the arab stud would be unable to reach the hanging deer from his stall, teeth pic included. Another pic shows the front paddock with the 2 other horses. Sockett got his morning coffee so he didn't mind his dental photo shoot. The other dental photo is my old mare. Who is 26 years old, all 3 horses have excellent teeth. Hope this eliminates my "horse done it theory". 

Again---> No cows, owned on property, leased on property, or feral on property.

Thanks Painthorse, I think we can conclusively rule out the horses in this instance then. Just to clarify, I wasn't doubting your claim that the Arab stud couldn't reach, just that it seemed sensible to rule out these suspects if we could  :)

The mystery deepens....................

@BTW, I get it, kind of like dental forensics. Tooth placement, damage, etc. would be like using fingerprints as an ID method.

@Celtic, I always practice elimination. Not a problem to post the pics to show. The more I can show what I've eliminated, hopefully someone will come up with something else I can eliminate. 

As far as "The mystery deepens............... "  I'm tired of mysteries, I do know that the majority of our issues are caused by normal predator activity like coyote's. It's been a few months since I've lost any of my chickens or cats, it goes in cycles. Last night my chickens were going off and we spent most of the night on watch with the surveilance system audio on so we could also hear what's going on outside. This morning 1 rooster's leg mangled and minus 1 cat. I'm trying NOT to think that the impressions on the deer is related.

@BTW, yes cats appear to be. Don't understand though why they don't tree themselves. 

@Inc, -> Show me where I have stated that I have come to the conclusion that it's a bigfoot. I posted this to try and get some feed back to help with elimination and to also see if someone else has had something similar happen. 

Yes, I did write that I'm "trying not to think that the cat and poultry issue is related". IF the animal issue had not happened recently then I would not even be thinking about it. So with that said, I will not be engaging in any scat tossing matches with you that you seem to enjoy.

Ohh come on paint, you came to a Bigfoot forum asking what could have made bite marks.....you don't have to say the word Bigfoot for it to be implied it's on your mind here.

If I found a round orange ball in my yard and asked a basketball forum what it could be via pictures it would be a safe assumption of that forum that I suspected it to be a basketball.

Now, had I asked a general sports forum ( or in this case wild life forum ) what it was I could play coy with a bit more believability.

Edited by TWlST

@Twist, not every strange incident is b/f related, that's why you eliminate what you can "prior" to implying b/f. AND that's what I'm doing, eliminating. And yes it is on my mind as a possibility but only at this point a slim possibility, NOT a probability. 

• Upvote 2

Those are amazing pictures, Painthorse. Thanks for sharing them, and for your intelligent, thoughtful approach to the entire subject, and for the wealth of experience with animals that you also bring to the topic.

I've seen bite marks like the bicuspid-like mark, too. I didn't know it was a bicuspid mark at the time, but it looked exactly like the one in your picture.

So thanks! You've definitely cleared some things up for me.   :)

Thank you LF, much appreciated.   In reference to what looks like a bicuspid, it does look like the impression of one, it's the closest comparison I could come up with but the placement would be incorrect. Still searching....................

I have no idea if this is possible, but I'll throw it out there for consideration... Is it possible this isn't a bite mark at all?  Could it be that the deer had an abscess that was ripped open during the skinning process?  It drained while hanging there, hence the whitish colored stuff below in the picture?  I don't have the medical knowledge to know what the subcutaneous tissue would look like after skinning and having water running over the deer.  Just my penny thought.... :)  

The close-ups are very intriguing.  The thing that baffles me the most, if we assume this was a BF bite, is why not take the carcass, or at least bite a big ol' hunk out of it? If conclusions about BF diets are true, it is not as if venison is some kind of exotic dish to them, to be sampled and rejected. The cheese cloth could explain that, I guess. Could have been just enticing enough to take a bite, but not enough to overcome the strangeness of the texture.  

Painthorse, I don't know where you are, but if there are other horse owners in the vicinity, their stock could have been roaming around and taken a test bite, possibly? (Apologize if you've already considered this theory and rejected it)  If you have any wild horses in your necka, I'd put that down as the likely culprit too. As you know, livestock is all about "Where is the salt?" Any carcass is likely to be sampled for saltiness, and that could explain it. As in, "Not salty...not fodder... oh well."

Edited by WSA

Don't think it's an abscess but that's just my take on it.

The wild horse idea did come to my mind. In western Washington, where I live, there are some wondering around.

BFF Patron

Where are you seeing wild horses in West WA?    Gives me something else to look for.  

@JC, not any type of abcess, am very familiar with them and have treated several, prior and after drainage. 

@WSA, the big question is what did it, that's why I posted it here because the impression does not fit in with the normal range of animals that are here. 

The cheese cloth and the constant spray of water could have been an issue with something not taking more than a bite. BUT!!!!! DUH!!! The MOTION SENSOR LIGHT, forgot about the LIGHT! There is one right on the back wall of the barn. It's set high so that the cats don't constantly set it off! I know we're not allowed to call anyone stupid but I'm calling myself! It's in the pic I already posted, can't believe I overlooked that when it's right in the pic on that back wall.........

ALso, I'm in Arkansas and my property borders the Ouachita National Forest, no wild horses and no neighboring horses. 

Can't believe I forgot about the light! I don't go out much to that area after dark unless to check on that horse when he's not feeling well and it only stays on for a few seconds. 

post-110-0-32704600-1449510970_thumb.jpg