Has Anyone Ever Had A Hanging Deer Get Taste Tested?

Painthorse

Yep, a sudden burst of light would certainly deter. If you had an idea of the range of the sensor, and where/when it would trigger, that would be interesting to know as well.

@WSA, posting pics to better explain what my writing may not. The sensor is aimed slightly in the direction of the horse trailer so when the horse sticks his head out it does not trigger the sensor, I have to walk over a couple of feet and wave at it to trigger the sensor so I have light. (pic shows the sensor more at a slight angle towards trailer) Other pic shows black line where the illumination is good out past the trailer, then it gets dimmer the farther you go out away from the light. It stays on just long enough for me to check on the horse and then blacks out. 

The sensor trigger is set fairly high, so I have to wave at it, it will trigger from just a few feet past the horse stall to back of the trailer and out towards the front of the trailer but not past it. Hope all makes sense.

post-110-0-05713100-1449519778_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-36370600-1449519857_thumb.jpg

Thanks Painthorse...I know that is a tough thing to get across in words, but I think I follow you.  Just an experiment of a kind...if you could take a broom and hold it up at about the height of the bite on that carcass, it might be interesting to know at what point it trips, and where you would be at that time. Of course, it might be hard to duplicate from what angle of approach the biter came towards it. The best idea might just be to see if you can get just up to the point of the bite without it triggering, and then make it trigger. That seems to be the best scenario to recreate maximum surprise to the biter. 

Paint, I  apologize if you already answered this, but did you ever ask your husband about possibly him grabbing or pinching the meat with his fingers as he skinned this?? I'm guessing, if he did this while skinning it he would have known so by having a bit of "lard" under his nails, requiring a little extra digging to get out upon cleaning his hands/nails.  My father has been for 40 years a butcher, even after that long occasionally you grab a little fat/meat while grabbing hide to skin it.  

@WSA, K, it would not trigger along the wall, had to walk out (coming from the horse side) out "away from the wall" at least 3' out to trigger and just to the right of the sensor, rake was roughly a arms length above my head, I'm 5'4" (same as when I would have to wave at it to trigger). Opposite direction a bit closer in but "not" past the first stall entrance (furthest to the right) of the back of the 2 horse trailer. Standing in front but at an angle towards the right (sensor direction) triggered roughly 12' out, could possibly trigger further but have my van parked there.

Twist, not a grab or pressure pinch, also venison is not oily or greasy like pork or beef, very limited fat. My husband is the one who noticed the impression as he unwrapped it. I saw prior to him unwrapping it that the cheese cloth looked odd, not uniform (bunching) and he thought it was from the shrinkage of the meat.

Also need to add that when the sensor triggered it clicks "when the light comes on", never noticed that before.

Well then I am baffled as to what could have caused this.  By your accounts, which I believe, the idea of any animal is out of the question and a squatch is out of the question via logic.  It would not have have tasted a thing but not torn it down and run off with it,to taste it later.  Anything of animal instinct that would have bit first and taken later is ruled out via the facts,anything that would take first and taste later has been ruled out via not taking first.  Maybe you have a buck toothed neighbor that was drunk and hungry, perhaps not strong enough to lift off the hooks????????

And since we are only looking at the facts, he was also a giant. Because humans don't normally have half inch wide teeth. How many instances do we have, that if bigfoot exists, do they take things from around human habitations? Sure they may carry off a deer out in the woods. But how many times have they carried something off from a house? Are they just like any other animal? A lot of assumptions there for something we know very little about.

They'll move things around, but they usually don't "take" things.  After all, they don't have pockets and move around from area to area.  They might pick up and carry a small item of interest, but it is hard for me to believe that they would carry something for days, or for any distance.

The one thing they will take is something they consider to be food.  They will often consume it on the spot, unless it is alive (small pet or small livestock).  They don't tend to carry away large quantities of food, but they can eat all of the fruit off of a tree overnight, leaving the pits strewn about.  They will take a bite out of a vine ripe tomato, then throw away the other half.  Apparently tomatoes look good, but don't actually taste good to them.  All according to my friends living on Table Rock Lake in Stone County, Missouri.

What puzzles me was that the entrails were nearby and undisturbed.  Was the liver also in the bucket?  If so, is it possible that liver was tainted by mixing with the contents of the digestive tract?  Apparently they take care to separate the liver without rupturing the intestines in a fresh kill.

Some speculation:  they don't usually have access to skinned animals, and seem to like the softer bits.  It may be that it was as simple as a curious taste test of that softer area, exploring the taste and texture of the skinned animal.  They've also been reported to collect deer legs, probably for their marrow, and that joint is where they would naturally separate the leg from the deer.  Since the legs were tied, it may be that they couldn't conveniently wrench one free and may have considered chewing the leg at the joint to make it easier to separate.  Perhaps it was interrupted.

• Upvote 1

@Twist, haven't heard any banjos lately.

@BTW, true about the assumptions and what little we know about these things. I think we're dead in the water until we get another deer to hang and see if something else happens. I have a quick exit door in that horse trailer from the open back into the dressing room, may be an idea to baby sit the next one while it hangs at night.

@JDL, the entrails along with the heart and liver were in the bucket. 

Admin

I have read lots of tales of hunters losing game to presumed BFs after killing it. I would think that if it were a BF, it would have just taken the whole thing and been done with it. Maybe the "packaging" threw it off?

Interesting case, even if it does not have anything to do with BF.