Has Bigfoot Science Stalled?

georgerm

The discussions we are on could lead to knowing where bigfoot travels as it migrates or is pushed out of its habitat. The routes it takes are logical since we know bigfoot is a thinking stealthy creature. Looking at maps with terrain, buildings, highways, obstacles, and other features will show potential pathways bigfoot will seek. Finding a user friendly mapping program that allow layers is necessary for those that want to make a real science study. We in the engineering profession produce detailed maps with layers such as topography, property lines, utilities, existing vegetation and so on. A bigfoot map can show sightings, another buildings, another food sources and so on. This study will help field researchers to focus on areas to find bigfoot signs.  

Oh what a hoot!! I can only imagine your initial stare and the "What the...". Fun, eh? I'm still chuckling. BUT....BUT....it....NAAAAAAHHHHH! ;)

SSR Team

Haha the coffee went everywhere..;)

Oh what a hoot!! I can only imagine your initial stare and the "What the...". Fun, eh? I'm still chuckling. BUT....BUT....it....NAAAAAAHHHHH! ;)

What are you talking about? Please use the quote button so know your meaning ..................   why the NAAAA-BLAHHHHHH     sheee esh .....

What did you think of the mapping goal for the serious Bigfoot researchers that don't leave the war room.. ..........................  Much like the 'war room' with maps and aerial photos so military targets can be located. Bigfoot targets would mean camera placement, researchers on the ground, and detailed fresh aerial photographs to look for recent paths.  

I think they're referring to the "BF" BobbyO found on his search..had me for a second too! Doh!

"Missed it by that much, chief!"

Yes, good point. It does seem that it all comes down to three things- luck, Human presence, and monitoring with luck probably being the leading factor. An too, I've recently been wondering if road closings also allow monitoring stations to be set up without being observed along with the other more obvious reasons of course. I mean in this day and age monitoring makes good sense as it saves man hours in the field and that translates into the money on a limited budget to be better used elsewhere.

What are you talking about?

I do not view locked gates ......................................

Georgerm;    That area below Bonneville Dam while narrow the water is very swift.     I have a hunch that frequent crossings are further down at about the mile marker 27 location.      Three reasons,    the water is not as swift,   road crossing reports in that area, and sighting reports above that on the rim of the gorge.    Might be the spot. My map doesn't have the 27 mile marker. Any other land marks? There is a small park on the gorge rim where a sighting was observed just above the mile 27 marker.     A guy was just sitting there in the dark and a BF approached him.     Visiting the location I could see where something could travel down into the gorge down a ravine.   Really nice effort.  Many of the sighting reports, when I can determine the exact location, I have gone to the spot trying to figure out why the BF was there.  more information for the layered map   There are also many locations in the gorge where the cliffs are too steep to scale down.  mark this on the bigfoot trails map That really limits where something can come out of the high country and get down to the river level.     Once you get abeam Mt Hood at all, the elevations to the South increase tremendously with snow cover in place most of the year.    

One question is why would bigfoot want to cross the Columbia River and go north or visa versa?

Hi georgerm,  Your post #1261 and my post #1262 hit at the same time so the exchange between BobbyO and I got interrupted. This is the gist of the exchange as if your post wasn't in the middle. I was trying to avoid reposting all of the images in BobbyO's post:

I just nearly had a heart attack.

I was scouting these areas on GE and was looking at potential access to this area I'm talking of and the power line corridors that lead direct to the bridge of the I-5 that you can see here.

attachicon.gifimage.png

attachicon.gifimage.png

Anyway as I was looking, I saw this.

attachicon.gifimage.png

Which upon further inspection turned out to be this.

attachicon.gifimage.png

attachicon.gifimage.png

Haha nearly.. ;)

Haha the coffee went everywhere.. ;)

Yes, good point. It does seem that it all comes down to three things- luck, Human presence, and monitoring with luck probably being the leading factor. An too, I've recently been wondering if road closings also allow monitoring stations to be set up without being observed along with the other more obvious reasons of course. I mean in this day and age monitoring makes good sense as it saves man hours in the field and that translates into the money on a limited budget to be better used elsewhere.

What are you talking about?

I posted that in response to SWWA's post #1242

I do not view locked gates ......................................

Georgerm;    That area below Bonneville Dam while narrow the water is very swift.     I have a hunch that frequent crossings are further down at about the mile marker 27 location.      Three reasons,    the water is not as swift,   road crossing reports in that area, and sighting reports above that on the rim of the gorge.    Might be the spot. My map doesn't have the 27 mile marker. Any other land marks? There is a small park on the gorge rim where a sighting was observed just above the mile 27 marker.     A guy was just sitting there in the dark and a BF approached him.     Visiting the location I could see where something could travel down into the gorge down a ravine.   Really nice effort.  Many of the sighting reports, when I can determine the exact location, I have gone to the spot trying to figure out why the BF was there.  more information for the layered map   There are also many locations in the gorge where the cliffs are too steep to scale down.  mark this on the bigfoot trails map That really limits where something can come out of the high country and get down to the river level.     Once you get abeam Mt Hood at all, the elevations to the South increase tremendously with snow cover in place most of the year.

One question is why would bigfoot want to cross the Columbia River and go north or visa versa?

Good question. IMO there are easier places to cross, especially in the Spring? Although in a drought season I imagine there are more places available to cross because of holding water back at the dam. I am not that familiar with those kinds of dynamics however so it has to be left to you local folk to know best about those kinds of things. Some years though it would make sense that drought and fires would go pretty much hand in hand..

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

As far as mapping programs try QGIS for free or if you have a lot of money or use cracked software ArcGIS.

Good for habitat analysis, trends through time (such as direction of migrations) and lots of other esoteric stuff like distribution densities, hotspot analysis.

You can build an algorithm that can predict the location of BF by time of year based on factors of your choosing and if you have good a good database you can identify for the entire PNW.

You would need satellite imagery classified for vegetation by time of year to find prime food gathering areas and then look at migration patterns of sightings in relation to changing availability of food areas through time.

Add in moon phases, time of day, time of year, preferred elevations based on ecosystem considerations and you can nail probable location for an entire region and then find maximum density of resources and elevations to projected density of BF populations and pinpoint areas with highest likelihood for success.

Other factors are masking for water masking out areas of high human population density, distance from roads, hiking trails and active forestry.

Might give you a more in depth picture of what is going on.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Sure sounds like it would. Now if I could only find someone who would know how to do all that it would be great. All kidding aside it does sound like a good tool to have and use and after 65 years two or three months setting it all up might not seem like so much. This is where I wish I was better at the computer and such applications than I am- which is pretty much zero.

As far as mapping programs try QGIS for free or if you have a lot of money or use cracked software ArcGIS.

Good for habitat analysis, trends through time (such as direction of migrations) and lots of other esoteric stuff like distribution densities, hotspot analysis.

Now we are getting somewhere. Someone learns the software. Others work on one data overlay at a time such as sighting location, food sources, aerial photos, travel routes, etc then send it to the map maker  .............. Cryptic. ............  This is how I put together a landscape architect project ................. one layer at a time.

This would be a good PHD project for a zoologist. This is how todays science works, and we don't need to be in the same 'Office of Bigfoot Research'. This discussion could be real, or just play dreaming. This type of mapping is tedious but with good software many layers can be overlapped to create patterns that would begin to reveal bigfoots travel patterns and locations.

You can build an algorithm that can predict the location of BF by time of year based on factors of your choosing and if you have good a good database you can identify for the entire PNW.

You would need satellite imagery classified for vegetation by time of year to find prime food gathering areas and then look at migration patterns of sightings in relation to changing availability of food areas through time.

Add in moon phases, time of day, time of year, preferred elevations based on ecosystem considerations and you can nail probable location for an entire region and then find maximum density of resources and elevations to projected density of BF populations and pinpoint areas with highest likelihood for success.

Other factors are masking for water masking out areas of high human population density, distance from roads, hiking trails and active forestry.  What's this about?

Might give you a more in depth picture of what is going on. 

Sure sounds like it would. Now if I could only find someone who would know how to do all that it would be great. All kidding aside it does sound like a good tool to have and use and after 65 years two or three months setting it all up might not seem like so much. This is where I wish I was better at the computer and such applications than I am- which is pretty much zero.

It's amazing what we can do, when the need is great.

I will post a sample of this type of land study with layers soon. It's in a PDF and need to find it.

I'm thinking a little further north, near the Tenino general area.

Reason i say it is there is ample cover on both sides of the highway for a fair distance there and there are sighting reports on both sides of the highway there within 10 or so miles within the last few years too, in Feb, March and April i may add.

There's a bridge at Maytown with both a road and railtracks that go under the I-5 there, but  little further south there's a bridge that goes over Scatter Creek. This bridge and the creek feed in to that 12,000 acre piece of timber on the east side of the I-5 that mentioned yesterday.

One of the sighting reports is due east of this bridge 11 miles away.

Options Gentlemen, options..;)

Good to see we're on the same page with that possible Scatter Creek crossing. There is a wildlife area on the west side of I-5 which also has forest cover leading north toward the Capitol Forest area.

I do think though that there may be a southern route also. Looking at your sighting maps, the Cowlitz with all its sightings, aims right at the Winlock area on the west with more sightings which then angle NW to the Grays Harbor area. Again sightings close to both sides of the highway.

As you say, options.

So far this page 64 looks very promising on a couple of fronts. The software idea as well as the real world geography discussion. This is good, mature input as the contributors understand that the proper use of data as well as logical thinking offers the best chance against.........mere chance. Good work folks. I have truly enjoyed following this discussion. Happy Father's Day to ALL :)

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

It is a big project, you have to define scope, data sets, approach, and different analysis.

That is how a scientific approach is, non simple.

First thing you can do is find the satellite data to classify for vegetation indexes.

In the GIS world if you don't know how to do a project you read up on it (research and development)

You can start by getting the sightings reports into QGIS, if you turn on an image layer you already have a raster background for viewing and if you figure out how to load DEM raster or similar height elevation data you have a 3D terrain.

I can provide simple advice.

To start download QGIS and get a dataset from Tiger Census Data download and play with that.

ENVI is what you might need for vegetative classification and I am not experienced with that but there may already free datasets that are useful if you search online. 

Hint: there will be a lot of online research and learning curve.

QGIS help or ESRI help can show what is possible.

Look under tools for the types of analysis.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

BFF Patron

Good question. IMO there are easier places to cross, especially in the Spring? Although in a drought season I imagine there are more places available to cross because of holding water back at the dam. I am not that familiar with those kinds of dynamics however so it has to be left to you local folk to know best about those kinds of things. Some years though it would make sense that drought and fires would go pretty much hand in hand..

The Columbia river is navigable by large ships carrying grain pushed by tugboats and by cruise ships that go all the way across Washington to the Idaho boarder.     The ships use locks to go around all the dams.      So there is no place anywhere near BF habitat that is wadeable.      East of The Dalles there is no trees and no cover.   If BF crosses the Columbia they have to swim.     Why would they cross is a good question.    They would have to have a really good reason to risk the swim. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

• masterbarber locked and unpinned this topic