Has Bigfoot Science Stalled?

georgerm

SSR Team

So far this page 64 looks very promising on a couple of fronts. The software idea as well as the real world geography discussion. This is good, mature input as the contributors understand that the proper use of data as well as logical thinking offers the best chance against.........mere chance. Good work folks. I have truly enjoyed following this discussion. Happy Father's Day to ALL :)

And to you too H.

The ArcGIS has been in the pipeline for some time, we're on it don't worry about that but as per usual it's all about the hours of free time.

I "semi retire" in hopefully six months time which frees up around 80% of my waking hours so it will allow me much more time on the SSR when it eventually gets over its current issues, and also to crack on with getting my head around the ArcGIS.

Ill highly likely be spending more quality time with Tom Baker at The Olympic Project and really start making some headway with this stuff.

We have/had a Guy, an apparent expert, who is has come forward and raised his hand to get on board and hopefully teach us one or two things about mapping too.

All good..;)

SSR Team

I'm thinking a little further north, near the Tenino general area.

Reason i say it is there is ample cover on both sides of the highway for a fair distance there and there are sighting reports on both sides of the highway there within 10 or so miles within the last few years too, in Feb, March and April i may add.

There's a bridge at Maytown with both a road and railtracks that go under the I-5 there, but  little further south there's a bridge that goes over Scatter Creek. This bridge and the creek feed in to that 12,000 acre piece of timber on the east side of the I-5 that mentioned yesterday.

One of the sighting reports is due east of this bridge 11 miles away.

Options Gentlemen, options..;)

Good to see we're on the same page with that possible Scatter Creek crossing. There is a wildlife area on the west side of I-5 which also has forest cover leading north toward the Capitol Forest area.

I do think though that there may be a southern route also. Looking at your sighting maps, the Cowlitz with all its sightings, aims right at the Winlock area on the west with more sightings which then angle NW to the Grays Harbor area. Again sightings close to both sides of the highway.

As you say, options.

What's that BTW, is that the Nisqually refuge ?

I noticed that little cluster around Winlock too, good stuff.

Might have to start saving for a couple of cameras to go up in Feb > June..;)

SSR Team

Yes, good point. It does seem that it all comes down to three things- luck, Human presence, and monitoring with luck probably being the leading factor. An too, I've recently been wondering if road closings also allow monitoring stations to be set up without being observed along with the other more obvious reasons of course. I mean in this day and age monitoring makes good sense as it saves man hours in the field and that translates into the money on a limited budget to be better used elsewhere.

What are you talking about?

I do not view locked gates ......................................

Georgerm;    That area below Bonneville Dam while narrow the water is very swift.     I have a hunch that frequent crossings are further down at about the mile marker 27 location.      Three reasons,    the water is not as swift,   road crossing reports in that area, and sighting reports above that on the rim of the gorge.    Might be the spot. My map doesn't have the 27 mile marker. Any other land marks? There is a small park on the gorge rim where a sighting was observed just above the mile 27 marker.     A guy was just sitting there in the dark and a BF approached him.     Visiting the location I could see where something could travel down into the gorge down a ravine.   Really nice effort.  Many of the sighting reports, when I can determine the exact location, I have gone to the spot trying to figure out why the BF was there.  more information for the layered map   There are also many locations in the gorge where the cliffs are too steep to scale down.  mark this on the bigfoot trails map That really limits where something can come out of the high country and get down to the river level.     Once you get abeam Mt Hood at all, the elevations to the South increase tremendously with snow cover in place most of the year.

One question is why would bigfoot want to cross the Columbia River and go north or visa versa?

Women ? ;)

I'm thinking a little further north, near the Tenino general area.

Reason i say it is there is ample cover on both sides of the highway for a fair distance there and there are sighting reports on both sides of the highway there within 10 or so miles within the last few years too, in Feb, March and April i may add.

There's a bridge at Maytown with both a road and railtracks that go under the I-5 there, but little further south there's a bridge that goes over Scatter Creek. This bridge and the creek feed in to that 12,000 acre piece of timber on the east side of the I-5 that mentioned yesterday.

One of the sighting reports is due east of this bridge 11 miles away.

Options Gentlemen, options..;)

Good to see we're on the same page with that possible Scatter Creek crossing. There is a wildlife area on the west side of I-5 which also has forest cover leading north toward the Capitol Forest area.

I do think though that there may be a southern route also. Looking at your sighting maps, the Cowlitz with all its sightings, aims right at the Winlock area on the west with more sightings which then angle NW to the Grays Harbor area. Again sightings close to both sides of the highway.

As you say, options.

What's that BTW, is that the Nisqually refuge ?

I noticed that little cluster around Winlock too, good stuff.

Might have to start saving for a couple of cameras to go up in Feb > June..;)

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/scatter_creek/

"Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife. The 926-acre Scatter Creek Wildlife Area is located in Thurston County and is managed as three units. It lies in the Puget Sound Trough lowlands with the Cascade Mountain Range to the east, the Willapa Hills to the southwest, and the Black Hills to the northwest."

Edited by BigTreeWalker

SSR Team

Ahhhhhh gotcha, thanks for the heads up there.

Is the Nisqually refuge furthe north then BTW yeah ?

I went there a few years back on a trip out, beautiful.

Ahhhhhh gotcha, thanks for the heads up there.

Is the Nisqually refuge furthe north then BTW yeah ?

I went there a few years back on a trip out, beautiful.

The Nisqually refuge is between Olympia and Tacoma. Looking at your squatchermetrics sighting maps, one thing I find very interesting is that the sightings indicate they are actually moving through some populated areas just to the east of there, Graham and Spanaway, in order to get into Fort Lewis and possibly the Nisqually river area.

gee .......wish we could see some maps..................  some aerial photos would be great to see these theoretical  passage routes. Sorry, many of us won't take the time to hunt down all the written map points that many have told us about.

Copy a google map and paste to the paint program. You can label, shows paths, scale, some topo, etc. Now upload to the forum.

Why would bigfoot want to cross I-5 going west into Oregon?  Where in Oregon?  Oh, I suppose there are more BF girls here wanting dates! 

Where in Washington does BF cross the Columbia River and  the highway and why?

Can someone post wildlife study maps to help with answers?

gee .......wish we could see some maps..................  some aerial photos would be great to see these theoretical  passage routes. Sorry, many of us won't take the time to hunt down all the written map points that many have told us about.

Copy a google map and paste to the paint program. You can label, shows paths, scale, some topo, etc. Now upload to the forum.

Why would bigfoot want to cross I-5 going west into Oregon?  Where in Oregon?  Oh, I suppose there are more BF girls here wanting dates! 

Where in Washington does BF cross the Columbia River and  the highway and why?

Can someone post wildlife study maps to help with answers?

I was referring to the map BobbyO posted here:

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/53024-has-bigfoot-science-stalled/?p=963975

I observe those maps, gather information from them and even bookmark them so I can refer back to them at a later date. There's no reason to keep posting the links.

I'm kind of curious what you meant by crossing I-5 west into Oregon. The gorge crossing is north to south at I-84. The western crossings are in Washington. Or did I miss something?

SSR Team

George I've added links to the maps already, I won't do it again as they're within the last couple of pages for sure.

Sasquatch sighting report maps, with a few different variables in them.

Edit : BTW has done also.

Edited by BobbyO

SSR Team

The Spanaway and Graham areas have always been pretty good for reports BTW huh, leading or coming out to Eatonville and then the National Park (MT Rainier).

I like where we are talking about right now though because of the "Spring" effect we have going on.

I don't think that should be overlooked and it just might give us an edge too.

There's also Puyallup and orting, E-NE of nisqually delta, which also have a history of reports..

SSR Team

Absolutely Guy, I've read enough reports that have them in what would generally be coming in via the puyallup river there from the higher elevations and the Mountain,

OK I see an issue here. Almost everything I click on or type in steers me clear of I-5. It's seems that the focus is all on I-90. I know there's a lot going on in the last year with the animal bridge construction on I-90 and all but it still doesn't excuse the lack of information on I-5. Here are some examples of what I'm running into. The first is a supposed animal viewing map for I-5 look where the map stops:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00980/wdfw00980.pdf

What? you have no animals South of Tacoma? ;)

My research here has been a bit frustrating for my target area which is why I thought you "locals" might have better luck finding animal sighting/monitoring info between say exit 52 to maybe exit 59 on I-5? For me anyway the route from Mt. St Helens to the Pacific and/or northward lies South of Toledo not North. But there's little if any information on that section od I-5 which as a researcher I find curious. PLENTY for I-90 though. Personally I don't give two hoots about !-90 for the purposes of this discussion. 

Edited by hiflier

SSR Team

I've had exactly the same issues H, you're not alone.. ;)

For clarity's sake however and separate but not really separate to what we're talking about, the I-90 is out North/South Cascades divide where the SSR and our numbers are concerned. I had to draw a line somewhere and the road was as good as any.

Here's something a bit different, it's an Ohio Seasonal Report Map where again the Seasonal layers can be turned on/off when you want via the "Visible Layers" tab top right on the map..

https://squatchermetrics.cartodb.com/viz/c9541e1e-bfa9-11e5-8b27-0e98b61680bf/public_map

Edited by BobbyO

Hmmm. I've often, and I mean OFTEN, wondered if what I had said before a few posts back could be somewhat true. That what we have for sightings is somehow filtered to draw our attention away from what is. It's like when I hear a politician speak I focus more on what ISN'T being said. I cannot help but think that could be the case here too. In other words, what we don't see may be more important than what we do. The focus on I-90 taking center stage being a case in point. Sure that animal bridge is great and it's also very important but it seems that there is just too much about it's press and internet coverage. For the subject of our interest the diversion may be  very telling.  

In truth I really have looked very closely at possible pinch points with great care. Some of the suggestions here are pretty good but since animals are nothing if not habitual and efficient in their activities I haven't been too swayed by many other pinch points. Many times I have zeroed Google Earth in on what might be available and then zoomed out to carefully look at the surrounding terrain on both sides if I-5. I think you will agree there's not much in the way of safe and secluded crossings spots. My focus has been on the Southern Cascades around Mt St. Helens as you know and I just don't see anything that shows me a better way to Gray's Harbor, Aberdeen or northward into the Olympics so I think we have a winner to the South of Toledo.

There is one and only one problem that I can see about that though and that is researcher access without the researchers themselves getting monitored. That could be a touchy and very real possibility. Maybe some added dialogue on how to approach that might be good- although NOT discussing it may be even better.

Edited by hiflier

• masterbarber locked and unpinned this topic