Has Bigfoot Science Stalled?

georgerm

SSR Team

I see posts on this thread saying "you could do" and "gee, wish we could see some maps" a lot when people are actually doing and sharing on this very thread as opposed to telling and asking others to do X and Y.

How's about stepping up to the plate and actually "doing" as opposed to telling others to do or asking others to provide ?

Just a thought..

Cryptic, with all due respect you're talking a lot about doing such and such without actually doing anything.

We gave you the chance recently to add data to the SSR but you made an absolute trainwreck of the Oregon data so much so that I still have to rectify it all and we (myself and Gigantor) never heard from you again even out of courtesey after you ran with adding data to dozens of reports when I specifically asked you not to do that.

Where did you get this zip file of BFRO Class A's you talk of ?

Can you Email it to me please like you said you would or attach it to a PM, whatever's easiest ?

Do ladies and gentlemen, do, do, do. Don't wait for others. Ask others for help by all means but do yourselves..;)

• Upvote 2

SSR Team

This is kinda cool too though it falls way short of the "mark" or marks if you will:http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/routelist.aspx

At least there's a scatter creek camera there H, good find.

Shame it's not under the road where the rail tracks are though..

WOW! And I say that for a couple of reasons: I didn't know for sure but assumed from the terrain that there was a creek there, didn't know that if there was a creek that it would have a name, and didn't know what the name of the creek was. Thanks for "spillin' the beans" but is the rest area named after the creek I' hope I'm looking at? NOW I can co to work a bit deeper on this. Scatter Creek it is then. Hopefully we're talking about the same place? You said rail tracks. The same tracks that run along the Cowlitz R. to the Landing area? I did read a couple of older reports from East of Castle Rock and Toutle.

Edited by hiflier

OK I see an issue here. Almost everything I click on or type in steers me clear of I-5. It's seems that the focus is all on I-90. I know there's a lot going on in the last year with the animal bridge construction on I-90 and all but it still doesn't excuse the lack of information on I-5. Here are some examples of what I'm running into. The first is a supposed animal viewing map for I-5 look where the map stops:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00980/wdfw00980.pdf

What? you have no animals South of Tacoma? ;)

Just a FWIW, I imagine some of the reason for this is perceived need and limited resources. I can think of a handful of incidents on I-90 involving cars/semi trucks and elk. Remember a herd of elk ran in front of a semi outside of Cle Elum back in the late 80s or so. Killed around 20 animals, if i recall. I drove through about a week later--pretty grisly.

The route runs through a lot of unpopulated areas, with lots of country between towns. Deer, elk, and assorted wildlife are numerous in many of those areas. I-5 runs along the coast, and through more densely populated areas. Maybe there's just more perceived need for animal crossings on 90?

Hey, ksu4, I can easily agree with that especially in the Skamania Pass area. As far as state budgets go the list of camera locations, which is fairly extensive, is pretty indicative of trying to cut costs wherever possible- and still keep an eye on us ;) Since you seem to be in the area and me, 3,000 miles away maybe you could find out the name of the creek close to mile post 54 on I-5? It's between the rest area North of Castle Rock and the Rogers Rd. overpass which I think is exit 59?

LaCamas / Camas Creek crosses I-5 Just north of the Cowlitz river. Not the Same LaCamas creek in Clark county.

Edited by daveedoe

Great link, daveedoe. After a quick scroll through down to the list of animals and birds I noticed Sasquatch wasn't listed ;) And I think I found what I was looking for. Thanks for helping out. At least I know now that it isn't the LaCamas Creek. And unless things have changed it may not be a creek at all which brings up other interesting prospects including ruling the location out due to no flowing water.

I'll continue the research by checking to see if there's a similar link to the Northern Cowlitz County watershed area for the Toutle River drainage basin. Something like this which is pretty good but perhaps more like the format and link you posted:

http://wa.water.usgs.gov/cgi/realtime.data.cgi?basin=cowlitz

Edited by hiflier

Being in the area on the ground. I can see where a lot of these studies are lacking in specific information. They are just too general to get information useful for our purposes. My suggestion is if you want to check small drainages crossing I-5, a good old highly detailed topographic map is your best friend.

Of course I do access them from my Android tablet instead of carrying paper. Plus the fact that it has an interactive GPS and compass function. It also has access to satellite images so I can check tree cover.

http://www.offline-maps.net

SSR Team

WOW! And I say that for a couple of reasons: I didn't know for sure but assumed from the terrain that there was a creek there, didn't know that if there was a creek that it would have a name, and didn't know what the name of the creek was. Thanks for "spillin' the beans" but is the rest area named after the creek I' hope I'm looking at? NOW I can co to work a bit deeper on this. Scatter Creek it is then. Hopefully we're talking about the same place? You said rail tracks. The same tracks that run along the Cowlitz R. to the Landing area? I did read a couple of older reports from East of Castle Rock and Toutle.

H the crossing that has the rain tracks going under the I-5 too is the Maytown crossing, a little further north than the Scatter Creek crossing.

They're the two crossings I like.

SSR Team

Fantastic find Davey D, thanks for sharing,

That looks like a super app to have in the field BTW. Overall in these last dozen posts or so I sense a nice healthy enthusiasm. It's so good to have the cooperation but then knowing who's jumping here I'm not surprised. Did I tell you yet that I'm getting tingles going up my spine? What's so cool about it all in looking at these locations is that each one of us is providing data by using what we each do best. Even from Maine I do feel very much a part of this effort and it's so cool when everyone gets and understands the possibilities contained in this kind of approach. Something tells me that not all of these culverts might be part in the animal monitoring system.

And that leads me to something I wanted to bring out yesterday as we got deeper into the concept. And that involves the animal monitoring aspects themselves. The point I'm making is that I don't think either F&W or the WA/DOT has photos of Sasquatch. And why not might you say. Because they use trail cameras and so they won't have images for the same reason that we don't. If that's the case then BF just might be using culverts that are not monitored which IMHO won't be the larger, more well known access points. Just something to consider as we pursue this idea further.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Makes me wonder about the D.O.T. cameras, though. 24/7 passive surveillance. Perhaps some are inline with animal crossings or animal trails.

Hi CM, the images of animals I've seen under bridges and such have been taken with cameras pointed in several different directions. Facing at the passageway, facing across the passageway, angled to the passageway, day, night/IR  etc.. I don't think there is a defined set-up that ensures images of animals every time although I think they get enough to assess the success of some locations fairly well.

• masterbarber locked and unpinned this topic