Has Bigfoot Science Stalled?

georgerm

Cryptic-I bet you have an old Aretha Franklin album lying around somewhere.  Before the question of whether BF science has stalled, I believe you have to define the parameters of what you consider science, and just exactly what you are trying to prove.  Are you trying to merely prove the existence of the creature, and if so, are you  going about it?  I really doubt that even a lengthy HD video of a BF would convince the mainstream scientific community, and I'm not fully convinced that a BF body would do much better.   It would only prove existence of one creature, not that there are others out there.

If  the infighting, jealousy,  egos, and in some cases financial gain of much of the BF community were put aside, and the community made a concerted effort, no doubt much more meaningful  evidence could be produced.  I am sure that many members here either have some pretty convincing evidence, or know someone who has, but that evidence will never be revealed, except to a selected few.

With all of that being said, I think that if BF were proven to exist to the public at large, the BF would ultimately suffer.  Even though some members of this forum believe that the government, big corporations, etc. are out to eradicate BF populations (and they may be right), I believe that BF are resilient and adaptable beings.  They don't need our help-I believe they have done very well for a long time without it.

As far as their existence being proven to vindicate my beliefs, I could care less; I don't have any desire to tell people "Ha-I told you so."   I don't have to prove anything to anyone, in that respect.  To those people who do not believe in their existence, that is their privilege, but if those individuals are truly interested in trying to find the truth, they need to "put boots on the ground."

A body would be a massive game changer! Im not following your logic that if we pull one out of the bush? Science would not believe that there would not be more out there. Thats not how biology works unless we truly shot the last one of the species. A species needs a viable breeding population to sustain itself. Chances would be that there are more, and Im supremely confident that science at that time would go look.

Regardless it would still prove the species existed, or exists.

Which is alot better than we are doing know......us merry band of pixie hunters.

• Upvote 1

Dlaw::   "  I really doubt that even a lengthy HD video of a BF would convince the mainstream scientific community, and I'm not fully convinced that a BF body would do much better.   It would only prove existence of one creature, not that there are others out there."       

I agree about the HD video as proof.    The scientific significance of one body only,  points to either last  surviving member of a species, or places where science does not want to go.    Science would investigate the first option and try to locate more without even considering the second because it would require BF to be extra terrestrial and some sort of ET survivor to be one of a kind.     For there to be any there has to have been a breeding population within the subject's lifetime.     They are not going to jump from presumed myth to alien just because they have a body on a lab table.     

The other factor that will be part ff the discovery process, is where did the bone or body come from?      If I plunked a BF skull down on Meldrum's desk his first question would be where did it come from?.     It is pretty easy for main stream science to accept a new primate species discovery from bones in Africa, we get them every few years.   But discovery of one in North America will take some investigation to vet.    A large portion of main stream science would think I found it in Africa or South America and am trying to hoax.   My point is that the whole process is not as easy as it would seem.    

Plussed for the wisdom contained therein.

IMO, the science profession will have to be gently and professionally exposed to evidence and said evidence must be gathered in the scientific manner with protocols observed so the integrity of the evidence is preserved to the utmost capacity. The wild-eyed, redneck approach employed by many of the pro-kill organizations is precisely why mainstream science would probably shun them like the plague as adherence to a professional approach with most (if not all) of these outfits is nonexistent, as their own publications illustrate this point beyond a shadow of a doubt.  That's why using the scientific approach, and really using it, is the only way to legitimize a discovery effort. Otherwise, you'll be immediately relegated to suspicion, ridicule and a host of slings and arrows as the hoaxers and tricksters that went before you have made such an approach, all uphill, there and back.

Has there ever been a body part brought in & submitted to scientific study? 

If BF is human, a distinct race of homo, such remains would have to be unique 

and distinct enough to be compelling in spite of the human DNA. 

Scientists who already are "footers," like Meldrum, would be the only ones to 

trust with such a find. 

If BF is as far from us as Neandertal is, then the DNA would show the difference. 

Hmmm ... otoh, if you find a piece of BF in the wilds, does the law require one to

report such human-looking remains?      :umnik:

A bigfoot body part has not made it to the science table that I know of. I posed reports of bigfoots being shot and brought into pioneer towns then were later disposed of.

If a bigfoot juvenile skeleton is found it might be difficult to tell it from a human. In this case someone may turn it in and the find may be lost. If its a full grown bigfoot then only trusted bigfoot researchers should be called in or the find may be lost.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

A bigfoot body part has not made it to the science table that I know of. I posed reports of bigfoots being shot and brought into pioneer towns then were later disposed of.

If a bigfoot juvenile skeleton is found it might be difficult to tell it from a human. In this case someone may turn it in and the find may be lost. If its a full grown bigfoot then only trusted bigfoot researchers should be called in or the find may be lost.

Archeo anthropologists would have no problem in identifying it as non human.

If Bigfoot is actually a human you now have a second problem...

The trick is knowing when the bones are from a bigfoot,( if anyone could know) and of coarse, anything that is remotely large and humanoid would be from a robust native, if old enough.

http://cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/minaret/

• Upvote 1

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

The trick is knowing when the bones are from a bigfoot,( if anyone could know) and of coarse, anything that is remotely large and humanoid would be from a robust native, if old enough.

They would know if it was human or non human. They would know what "type" it most closely resemble, say a gorilla, chimp, or Australopithecus (if a new type, what type it had evolved from). The more skull you have the more precise you can be. From the article you could probably tell brain size and that is one of the biggest identifiers and brain shape, brain structure. As far as race, forget about it, a meaningless construct, especially as you go back in time. In science there is just as much debate as in pseudo science so a skull would contribute to the overall picture and not likely define it. Perhaps overturning conventions such as that we are the only surviving hominid.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

BFF Patron

We can only hope that any skeleton found is different enough from modern human to be recognized as different.     Size only cannot be the sole determinator since gigantism is known in humans.    And female and child BF may be difficult to diferentiate from human.     I think anything obvious would likely be in the skull.     Different skull sutures and double rows of teeth are mentioned in finds that have been carted away.

And Yuchi is entirely right.     Who do you trust?   Certainly anyone that works directly for the government is not on my list.    If there is a government coverup,    keep them out of it as long as possible because at some point it will be confiscated.     The Kennewick man is a good example of that.  

My plan right now should I find the golden ring skeleton is contact someone in a university in my home state of Washington.   That is less messy for several reasons.    I can likely get them out in the field to do the excavation.   That is important to determine likely age of the find etc.   Should there be any question about human,   we could just turn it over to authorities without transport across state lines.     State law enforcement would likely recognize local university involvement.     If Meldrum shows up, that might be a problem since he is from Idaho.   His other problem, that the authorities would question, is that he makes money from BF.   Selling books and speeches but never the less he makes money from it.     The best I can hope for personally as a lay person is some credit for the find.    Sue the T-Rex comes to mind and that is not much if you know the story.      The PHD involved would get most of that, write the paper, etc.    If the bones are from federal land I have no idea what to do other than get someone else at a university to take on the project.  On federal land, it has to be handled properly or someone will go to jail and I don't want it to be me.  (Look up the history of Sue the T-Rex).    I would likely uncover just enough to determine it not human, photograph it, and leave it where it is, for excavation.    That is probably the best way to avoid legal problems, especially on federal land. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT
  • Upvote 1

If Yuchi is right? Then what are we doing here? Whats our purpose?

We might as well all go home.

Guest Crowlogic

^It's all about the magic Norse, the magic of mystery, the great magical mystery that is "out there."

Except when "magical" tracks appear that a human cannot replicate, right? Or god forbid you see one.

BFF Patron

Oh but Norseman remember that seeing does not mean it is real and for some even plaster casts of those tracks are "not evidence".     I will not give up and go home, until I have something confiscated.   Until then I know I have a chance.    Even at that, I will get evidence of the confiscation to settle that question in court.    Get that out in public where they don't want it to be.     

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT
  • Upvote 2

They would know if it was human or non human. They would know what "type" it most closely resemble, say a gorilla, chimp, or Australopithecus (if a new type, what type it had evolved from). The more skull you have the more precise you can be. From the article you could probably tell brain size and that is one of the biggest identifiers and brain shape, brain structure. As far as race, forget about it, a meaningless construct, especially as you go back in time. In science there is just as much debate as in pseudo science so a skull would contribute to the overall picture and not likely define it. Perhaps overturning conventions such as that we are the only surviving hominid.

I'm not sure they would know. The minaret skull reportedly had a nuchal ridge that was more developed, theoretically from larger muscle attachment from the neck and back. This occurs in other apes due to quadrupedal  locomotion. In order to look forward in that position, the muscles must work harder in that area.

If the physical anthropologist looking at it didn't know that bigfoot is sometimes seen in 4x4 mode, they might not put two and two together.

• Upvote 1

What's the minaret skull?

SWWA: Good post that makes sense, and you have outlined a real problem. I will reply in more detail later since I still see issues.

Off topic: My landscape architect job is taking me out into some squatchy country east of Coos Bay near Blue Ridge. Google it. The home owner built a new house there. Something moved in the trees but could not make it out the last time I was there. There were no smells, prints, or tree breaks so it's probably nothing. What else would you look for?

Some fellow out there showed me a picture of a bigfoot that his trail cam caught at night. His phone number is lost in my files now .................. ouch.

Edited by georgerm

• masterbarber locked and unpinned this topic