2016 The State Of Sasquatch Science

Guest Admin

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Cryptic, at 20:30 is a fuller description of the one nest in a tree that they found. Derrick admits that they don't know enough about it to determine if it is anything other than a large bird's nest. The main point of the discussion however is the investigation of the ground nests that were found. Those are where the hair samples were collected from and those are what were discussed at the Summit. Maybe they have climbed up to the tree nest by now. But there probably won't be any more information forthcoming about that until the conference in September.

Guess I misunderstood what they were saying, must have gone for a coffee at that point in the podcast.

So I guess I won't keep looking up.

BFF Patron

I would keep looking up, not for nests, but juveniles in trees.   That has been reported often enough that it seems a promising prospect to get pictures of BF in a situation where it cannot exactly run away.     We just need someone to have a real camera not a cell phone who goes up to the tree and walks around it taking pictures.  Pretty hard to hide in a tree once you are noticed.   It is unnatural for me to look up when I am in the woods.    I keep having to force myself to check the trees.   I guess my subconscious is more worried about bears and cougars on the ground than what might be up in trees.  

Speaking cougars,  a guy in Oregon was just attacked by a cougar when it tried to get his dog.    Dog was hurt and the guy was fighting face to face with the cougar.    He hit the cougar twice on the head with his gun butt.   He grabbed it's  jaws trying to break the jaws by over opening it's mouth.     Not sure why he did not shoot other than he might have been worried about hitting his dog.  He pulled a knife and jabbed at the cougar too.   I guess the cougar did not like getting stabbed and finally ran off.    The man and dog were pretty chewed up.    Since the hunting of cougars in with dogs in Oregon was banned,   their population has doubled.     They figure there are about 5000 in Oregon now.   Each one has about a 10 square mile territorial range.    I was hiking a trail on the Oregon Coast and saw fresh cougar tracks in the muddy trail.   A small solo hiking woman passed me and I warned her about the cougar.    She acted as though I was crazy for even being concerned.   The city dwelling PETA types think they are just big friendly kitty cats.  

SSR Team

You've got much, much more chance of seeing a Sasquatch than getting chewed up by a Cougar in Oregon, that's probably why..;)

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

With a cougar, go for the eyes.

Don't let them disembowel you with the hind feet or suffocate you by wrapping around your head.

If you step aside as they launch some have grabbed them by the scruff of the neck and base of the tail as they stepped aside.

Would take serious co-ordination though.

They are getting pretty common around here in NH.

Jumped my car, springing across the road.

I saw two stalking a deer a hundred feet from me.

They were waiting up trail and I took a branch coming out above them.

I wonder if they were waiting for me and I surprised them.

The time to worry about predators is in the winter and early spring when they are starved.

They love to ambush by springing from above going for your head and snapping the neck as they go over, I hear.

Speaking of predators I just ran into my buddy the bear I posted photos of last year.

He wanted to play but I shooed him away, maybe I will invest in some mace just to be safe.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Yes, SERIOUS coordination. And after you have the tiger/cougar by the tail then what? There's going to be a lot of hurt either way one turns. Of course this is assuming one is barehanded and unarmed. If a frontal attack cover your head and face then knee it hard in the chest/abdomen. It will probably give up more out of surprise than injury but a good hard knee can do enough damage to more than likely save yourself. Then bandage your wounds as there will be wounds- hopefully not life threatening ones. Give your house cat a bath and multiply its ferocity by 100 and you'll get the idea.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Yes, SERIOUS coordination. And after you have the tiger/cougar by the tail then what? There's going to be a lot of hurt either way one turns. Of course this is assuming one is barehanded and unarmed. If a frontal attack cover your head and face then knee it hard in the chest/abdomen. It will probably give up more out of surprise than injury but a good hard knee can do enough damage to more than likely save yourself. Then bandage your wounds as there will be wounds- hopefully not life threatening ones. Give your house cat a bath and multiply its ferocity by 100 and you'll get the idea.

No, because if you have the other hand holding it by the scruff of the neck you control it, much like a mother kitten does when moving kittens.

I saw pictures of a Chinese guy who had captured 80 or so this way and had pictures of him doing it, so no doubt.

You still need an exit strategy, like having a helper.

Sooner or later you have to let go.

That Chinese guy was a professional no doubt and probably has the long deep scars to prove it. And you right a helper would be handy. Two in fact: Smith and Wesson.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

No scars, but still you insist.

A normal hiker will have scars....I insist ;) and the pictures would be nice to see- video even better.

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron

I always figured my first cougar sighting would be off in the distance someplace slinking off getting away from me.    Not jumping into a road and confronting me.    I still get nervous in that area.    I think I would have been less surprised if it was a BF.  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

You're probably closer to the reality with the. Although yo are not that poor guy with the dog. The dog wasn't a good part of the equation though is my guess but I commend it's owner for trying to save him.

Edited by hiflier

You're probably closer to the reality with that. Although you are not that poor guy with the dog. The dog wasn't a good part of the equation though is my guess but I commend it's owner for trying to save it. Something the dog was maybe doing for its owner to begin with.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

A normal hiker will have scars....I insist ;) and the pictures would be nice to see- video even better.

A normal hiker, not a taoist and I assume tai chi practitioner who has the cat by the base of tail and scruff of neck.

You have complete control of the animal, the problem is catching it like that and the reflexes and poise needed.

Result, me no scars, you many scars  :wild:

Personally, I'd imagine most folks would be far better off not trying that technique, as they will get shredded, then chewed.

140 lbs of cat isn't going to just go limp once grabbed, and with their power and flexibility you might be able to make that hold, but you'd be hard pressed to keep it

Almost sounds like an event in the Canadian Olympics(no offense to Canadians intended..) the 10m cougar grab

"Well, Bob, that's the seventh athlete we've lost in this event, today...."

Edited by guyzonthropus

Well I don't quite follow the line of discussion, but the thread has been idle for a while, usurped by the "has bigfoot research stalled" thread, and rightly so, because that in my opinion is the case. While we have all these new gadgets we are producing less tangible evidence than the Da Hinden and Titmus era, when casting tracks, finding trackways, et, was the norm. We may have more audio, and some more video, but yet nothing close to the PG, or Freeman footage, at least not as the result of research. The best evidence we see today does not come from researchers at all, it is coming from that average joe with a cell phone or camera out on a hike or driving down a road. I personally think that as long as we rely on technology to bring this forward, we will regress in the abilities needed to track and predict these creatures. Without that we are stalled to say the least.