The Problem With Government Involvement.

BigTreeWalker

This article is not about bigfoot but it shows some of the problems when the government becomes involved in a problem.

http://tdn.com/news/local/rossetti-proposes-legislation-to-put-citizen-in-charge-of-work/article_a3419962-4de7-506c-bcce-d6519fca1b1d.html

It's interesting because it discusses citizen research. Elk, salmon and wolf research are mentioned.

No comments? What I see is any government committee which is chaired by a government employee follows whatever agenda the government has in place. In this case it may be driven by the vested interests of the timber companies. This problem with the elk has been around for years now with very little progress toward causes or resolution.

I think with anything, the quality of work and effort put into the subject at hand will be determined by the passion/drive of the person doing the work.

If a government worker is put in charge of an issue such as hoof rott but has no interest, what is stated in this article may be the result. They are not being open to alternative theories, they have zoned in on one idea and holding to it.  

This most likely changes if the person, Government official or Citizen in charge takes this task on by choice due to a vested interest or passion for the work.  Then you have a much better chance of the person leading the charge to truly want to get to the bottom of the issue.  

Hello BigTreeWalker,

Sometimes- actually many times- when one looks at the background of those who chair agencies or committees it is discover that they used to work for the very industry that is supposedly being regulated. It's called "regulatory capture" and it is a common phenomenon in government. The fulfillment of the perfect example would be the president of say Getty sitting in the oval office. So this doesn't surprise me and it follows that any official investigations into Sasquatch will have zero chance of getting off the ground.

Maybe that's why Dr. Meldrum created it? To pressure TPTB?

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for your input. Interesting comments and insights into the situation.

Twist, I think that very thing is the point of the legislation. However, the government overseeing itself doesn't seem to work very well either. I'm not sure we can ever be free from outside influence or personal agendas. It would be great to see progress toward a solution though.

"Regulatory capture" is interesting hiflier. I think it is true in a lot of instances with relation to governmental oversight.

Every single thing the Federal government touches - has turned to  ****. 

Even noble ideas - they manage to completely manage them into absolute disasters.

• Upvote 1

Every single thing the Federal government touches - has turned to ****.

Even noble ideas - they manage to completely manage them into absolute disasters.

I disagree and so do many ranchers and hunters....

They have managed the reintroduction of the timber wolf with stellar "success".

Much to our disdain ;)

Edited by norseman

I think the problem is fundamentally circular.   It is difficult to find people who are both open-minded enough not to be vested in one outcome or another yet who care enough about the issue to manage it ... and they have to somehow make a living in the mean time.   

MIB