The Problem With Government Involvement.

BigTreeWalker

Yes, yes it would.  My GF used to work as a Newspaper Editor near Williston ND.  She still has contacts in the area.

Apparently, there's a move to open up some of that land for drilling. Well, there was I guess a few months ago, no so sure now due to oil prices.

Point being, these major corporations can reclaim the 'public' land that is 'set aside' on a moments notice.

From http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/more/lands/selling_public_land.html Below is a pretty wide berth for selling said public land.  Note the 'economic development' portion.

How are these lands selected for sale?

The law states that the BLM can select lands for sale if, through land use planning, they are found to meet one of three criteria: 1) they are scattered, isolated tracts, difficult or uneconomic to manage; 2) they were acquired for a specific purpose and are no longer needed for that purpose; or 3) disposal of the land will serve important public objectives, such as community expansion and economic development.

That third option seems the one of most concern. If private industry can show they can make money off of the land then the means is there for them to acquire it.

I think the BLM is set up differently than the National Forest. But there are mining claims...

Edited by norseman
  • Upvote 1

Yes Norse it all comes down to who owns the mineral rights. But the Fed Gov is to busy taking are money to get involved it what most high ranking officials see as a myth.

Yes Norse it all comes down to who owns the mineral rights. But the Fed Gov is to busy taking are money to get involved it what most high ranking officials see as a myth.

You are right there. But this isn't about the myth. It's about if it is proven (a hypothetical), what is the government's track record in being able to manage it?