How Do You Plan On Proving Sasquatch In 2016?

norseman

Great topic and some very interesting comments above highlighting the fact Bigfoot don't really "have to be like every other animal" as many would like to believe.  Many things about them, including the process of collecting enough evidence for classification, should be (and generally speaking, already is) considered in an entirely different light.  They are bi-pedal primates!  That being said, I have no real plan for proving Sasquatch yet : /   

Edited by xspider1

Main plan is to hike some local trails in Coos Bay, Oregon and to hang some food bags up about nine feet. My intent is to show them I'm not after their skins but want to know them. This may take time. There are three or four sightings in this area that covers about 36 square miles. Foot prints are not present since the brush is so thick, so they may stay off the muddy trails. My efforts may not prove bigfoot and this is not really my objective.

I will probably go unarmed since some have said they can smell gun oil. My 40 S and W auto would have little effect on a full grown Sasquatch if one charged me. To avoid this, I will back out of the area if there are hostile signs such as tree breaking, growls, thrown branches, and the rest of their antics. I really don't want to go unarmed in case of cougars, tweekers, and bears. Has anyone had good luck habituating BF while armed with a side arm?

My intent is to prove them to myself and commune with a creature such as this. Fear is a factor so this is also a test of courage. Hanging out with bigfoots would be quite a experience.

My efforts to prove BF will sound silly, but when I see a road kill, I look it over quickly. Maybe I can get my wife to look while I drive.  Finding a BF this way could happen. If one is found, I will go to the TV station first, then hide the BF in a freezer some where. If the feds come after me, I will call the TV stations and raise hell again. The feds seem to not want BF proven.

Another method is to put adds in our local paper during deer season. If a hunter shoots one, then call me. Slim chance but it could work.

I know how Sassyfoot feels and her opinion is respected and has merits. My goal is to help create BF protection laws to prevent shooting and harassment of the young, mothers, and the protective males and females.

Edited by chelefoot
changed font

I have a suggestion:

Leave them alone. They don't want to be "proven".

What if they do in fact exist and are an endangered species? Surely it would be better to know that and be able to be proactive in ensuring the survival of the species. Maybe if Mountain Gorilla's hadn't been 'proven' by now they could have been made extinct by locals killing them for bush meat, passing on disease and decimating their habitat..........

Guest Crowlogic

I have a suggestion:

Leave them alone. They don't want to be "proven".

They don't want to be proven?  As the song goes..."You can't always get what you want."

Proving to anyone else? No thanks. Proving to myself? Yes!

For starters, I'm thinking of trying a gifting protocol at a river I often flyfish in the summer, only 45 minutes or so from downtown Seattle. The idea would be to simply leave some fruit every time I visit (location TBD, but it would be in an area that only BF could access--like the crook of a high tree branch) and see what happens.

I also want to do the same thing on a piece of family property in the Santa Cruz mountains, but I'm not there often enough to really achieve much.

Finally, I'm considering a BFRO outing to give me an incentive to move from couch-squatcher to more active enthusiast. They seem like popular events--anyone want to share pros/cons? 

But I may just simply stick with the mantra that you find them when you're not looking for them. So, it may just be more fishing/camping trips while being more tuned to the possibility that I am not alone.

GK

Guest Crowlogic

I'm obviously not going to be doing anything to prove bigfoot exists in 2016.  But I would like to see a medium tech patrol style ground based search that can sweep the best documented hot spot/spots on a 24/7 basis.

Guest OntarioSquatch

I would like to see a medium tech patrol style ground based search that can sweep the best documented hot spot/spots on a 24/7 basis.

If people actually did that 24/7 and they reported that they had some encounters, but couldn't get any video, would you believe them? 

To answer the original topic, my plan is to spend as much time camping as I can in the places they seem to frequent. I travel extensively for work and I run my dash cam most of the time in hopes of filming a road crossing. When in Squatchy areas I like to explore. I'll be in Oregon in March.

Proving to anyone else? No thanks. Proving to myself? Yes!

Ditto that... My only goal is to prove it to me. If I get remarkable, shareable evidence then it would be a bonus beyond my goal.

Finally, I'm considering a BFRO outing to give me an incentive to move from couch-squatcher to more active enthusiast. They seem like popular events--anyone want to share pros/cons?

GK

For me more pros than cons. I am signed up for my third BFRO outing this spring.
Pros:
1: Contacts - you get first hand interaction with actual witnesses who end up as regulars. They can gain a lot of credibility when you get the story face to face.
2: Hanging with BFRO Investigators with good stories and locations to share. I know of places that are not in any public database.
3: The people that go are great people to hang out with. Hopefully others enjoy my company as much as I enjoy theirs.
4: Facing and overcoming fear of the dark while in the creepiest, darkest places with people who are unafraid is very empowering.
5: It's a blast! The great outdoors is my happy place
6: Opportunities for private outings may come up from time to time.
7: My son gets to join me for no additional fees. He has also had remarkable experiences.

Cons:
1: It's Expensive for a Camping Trip. It does get considerably cheaper after your first expedition. I think of it as entertainment so the fee doesn't bother me. It's more like relatively cheap entertainment, costing less than a three night stay in most hotels. If hotels are your thing you could still stay in one and still participate in everything.
2: The group of people can be large and I think efforts become ineffective with too many people. We always split into smaller groups and head to different locations which helps. Last year I seemed to pick the wrong group each night but still had a blast and recorded a possible wood knock.
3: No booze :(
4: No dogs... I understand the reasoning for the rule but as a dog person I believe a good dog could be helpful.

Edited by Redbone
  • Upvote 1

Guest Crowlogic

I would like to see a medium tech patrol style ground based search that can sweep the best documented hot spot/spots on a 24/7 basis.

If people actually did that 24/7 and they reported that they had some encounters, but couldn't get any video, would you believe them? 

Most likely no.  Most likely the graphic results would need to be pretty good.  However proving would also include a body or bone or non ambiguous combination of artifacts and bio samplings.  Videoing pine cones and pebbles landing about wouldn't impress me.  Anyone with a video camera some woods, pine cones and a willing tosser could do that cute stuff all too easily.  Perhaps a good track line that lead to a kill and consumption site would be good.  Thermals without post thermal daylight evidence like tracks, scat or hair most likely no unless it was minutes long and detailed.  I suppose what I'm saying is back to basics and turning down the fluff factor a bit.

Edited by Crowlogic

Wiiawiwb,

The problem with just seeing one, is that it is not the end but the beginning.

Many people who randomly encounter one (and unambiguously know that it was nothing else), just begin their search for answers (either joining BFRO or BFF or doing their own personal explorations).

The fact that they saw an unknown creature (that is not supposed to exist), drives them to spend more time investigating and searching. They get hooked.

Just wanted to share this observation with you since you stated that you just wanted to see one.

Once you see one, you will want more.

That said, my plans are just like yours.

Continue going camping and backpacking in areas known to have history of BF sightings to see and experience what is out there.

I don't have any goals of proving anything, but I do carry video camera and audio recorder just in case.

I agree on the pros/cons that Redbone listed on joining a BFRO trip. I might do another one this year. These outings are not done to find BF, but to network and learn from others and to learn about the hot spots in your state/region/area.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Last year I looked for some of several types of cryptids I have seen over the years and found some promising evidence, photos, etc. but left it at that (besides positing on forums like this). One of the cryptids extended animal family send me a message or two and I did meet up with a relative that may even have shared genetics.

Did see something weird just this week that may have been along those lines, (though a different genera) right next to the car, but happened too fast to react going up the back way at night, whould have stopped and gone back but it almost certainly would have been gone and I had just got off a 12 hour shift and was headed to beddy bye.

So for me it's experiential, I did get some possible proof but just decided to keep it to myself. Did learn lots of new stuff about my cryptid of interest by researching folk stories and anecdotal evidence, found evidence, and by observation and was able to synthesize where in the order of things some my experiences may fit into the bigger picture.

The story we tell ourselves is always the most interesting, no?

My interests is not Bigfoot research, as I am not bumping into them at this point, but other strange animals.

Think I may have figured out how some mega-fauna may have been able to persist up to the present by hiding in plain sight.

But now I'm just going to keep mum. Security through obscurity.

Best way to preserve rare species are by anonymity (keeping secrets) and protecting habitat, if you can find a way.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna