Hey Researchers, Why Don't You Leave Them Squatch Alone!

Lake County Bigfooot

Eh, could also have intestinal parasites or could be an adolescent going through a growth spurt.    Lots of possibilities.

MIB

Hey Fararcher, if you find any bones from that deer they may have some large unidentifiable incisor marks in them. We're still working on identifying what we found... So far still unknown.

Cryptic Megafauna two of those were elk. So I would say they are effective predators.

I wasn't looking for Bigfoot.  After that one ran at and then past me at some 20-30 feet, I had no inclination for a repeat.  Then at night, for weeks, they'd come up, walk around both tents, stand outside forever, and other nights toss pebbles at the tents.

I never got the feeling they were just being neighborly, and while we had plenty of firearms in camp, we didn't have any firearms I'd feel comfortable betting my life on.

I didn't look for bones, although later five of us walked up together, and I noted lots of "structures" with the inside consisting of well packed earth.  One large boulder cluster - I'd look at it and my hair would stand up.  We stayed well away from there on purpose.

Look, I admire guys who look for evidence and all, but there are some things I don't seek, and certainly don't give chase to.  Call it instinct, gut feelings - whatever.  I learned long ago to trust those feelings and I'm still here while several who ignored them died mighty young.  When I "know" I'm being watched - I'm being watched.  When I "know" to remain still and quiet - it's critical to my good health to remain still and quiet.  When I "know" to stay away from a direction or as I approach a location, I stay away.

Critters in some areas may be all nice and shy, but when I experience a feeling of malevolence - I go to a strong defensive mode and change up whatever I'm doing.  To tell the truth, I hate surprises.

Fararcher were you able to get photos of these structures ? so that we can get a look at them and judge them for ourselves. I have always carried my iphone with me and it seems to be able to take good photos in a hurry. I have never felt in danger until at night when I could not see, but if I had a thermo I would feel better and a little bit safe at night and maybe during the day. But during the day time I could rely on my eye sight  where as at night I would be relying on my hearing and my nose as well as my other senses which would be those inner feelings that one has when in danger. When I am in their domain I always assume that I am always being watched and when I see an odd anomaly I walk to it to see if it will move away. If it is a bear or a deer or an animal that we are familiar it will move and run from the area. If it is them they will do some thing to draw attention from where my attention is drawn too. This is what I have learned and experienced.

I have notice that they are good at deception where they will draw your attention away from what they truly are looking for. Smart fella's

I was on another task, and it's not of any consequence to take photos.  I found three or four, examined them, and that was the end of it for me.  

You may be able to take good photos in a hurry, but not me.  a) I had a two-handed grip on a 1911 with a critter bearing down on me  I carry a phone for me to make a call, and then I turn it back off. c) the other guy days later who also had a run-in was ON his I-phone, and he too, never even thought of taking a photo, as his only thought was to get as much distance as he could, as fast as he could.

You'll never see me moving toward one.  You'll never see me taking something in my hand, looking down at it, tapping an ap, and then trying to frame one of them.  First, I'm not taking my eyes off of one - even for a second.  They're way too fast.  Second, that one you see isn't where the other ones are, and you have one little distraction - that's not a good thing - as I learned.

I'm not a BF researcher, BF enthusiast, field biologist, anthropologist, and when you get right down to it, I don't even like these things.

Nor am I the apex predator out there. 

Edited by FarArcher

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I also keep hearing reports of gaunt skinny sasquatch, one just came out from Lake County Florida. This is a common thing given the number of reports. I know that they vary in mass, height and build, but these seem unusually skinny and even boney to the observer at times, like the one reported approaching two fly fisherman in daylight from Montana, featured on Big Sky Finding Bigfoot. It begs the question if the population is doing very well. That Florida squatch was seen just south of the massive Ocala National Forest area, if that is not enough to support a large number of Sasquatch then what are we seeing in terms of population and resources needed to support the numbers.

Bear with mange? possible alternate explanation.

^  Does that mean you're going to leave them squatch alone? :(

We'll see.  If I go back, I'll have the means to record, and I'll not be undergunned.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Just don't go back under grunted.

Perhaps threat displays are less likely if not carrying weapons and thinking like a hunter.

Animals sense stuff like that, especially smart ones.

If they are not predators and, lacking incisors, that would be a good guess the real threat is if they feel threatened.

Leading to bluff charges and mock attacks.

Probably their primary behavior is simply avoidance.

Rock throwing might be where the rubber meets the road.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Perhaps threat displays are less likely if not carrying weapons and thinking like a hunter.

If they are not predators and, lacking incisors, that would be a good guess the real threat is if they feel threatened.

Most all mammals have incisors. They even have canines, which I assume is what you meant. Some more pronounced than others. Predators kill other animals for their food. Omnivores, such as bears, and carnivores, such as cougars, are both predators. Chimpanzees are omnivores which also happen to be predators. Just as we are. Bigfoot most likely, being of the order primate, would be no different. Especially with the lineages you have suggested previously.

So you've been charged?  Mock attacked?  How did that work?

This was the report that first started my personal search to see if they were real. http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2953It was this report that started it for and was when I had my first bluff charge of cherry hill road. The next day or week you could see where the creature charged. My first lesson too.

If you are planning on taking one out with a higher cal then you need to take out the whole clan. But I believe that you could have been taken out at any time they wanted too and there would be nothing you could have done. ^^Fararcher^^ It would be best to gain high definition then loose a whole team. That's what that they were trying to show you by running up on your six. You are alive cause they wanted that way, other wise you would not be here.

when you consider the reports like Honobia, what you are saying makes perfect sense, they are tactical. They know how to flank you and you will never see it coming if they want to pluck your head off, as some reported. The Bauman story is another grisly outcome to shooting at them. I think if the home owners had actually gotten close enough to the dead squatch in Honobia, well we would have had documented killing of humans. That might be the case the way research is going these days, just like what happened in storm chasing, people kept pushing the threshold of safety, and eventually someone gets killed. It has probably already happened and we do not know about it. If you want to find out the hard way be my guest, but I would rather keep my distance.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

So you've been charged?  Mock attacked?  How did that work?

Never had a Sasquatch encounter, seems to be a known behavior of Apes and BF.

The display is to scream, roar, tear up brush, (throw rocks) and run at you in a threatening manner designed to intimidate, maybe bowl you over.

It's a dominance behavior also displayed by humans BTW and even a lot of animals engage in threat displays.

Means they feel threatened and want to send a message.

A predator does not engage in that behavior when hunting as obviously stealth and surprise are the mode of operation there.

So if they are trying to kill you it is said that a Bigfoot will sneak up on you gently suffocate you by pressing slowly down on your chest with a big hand.

They most likely are not a classic predator as likely they have no fangs and Great Apes, Humans, Australopithicus are more scavengers.

Modern Sapiens changed that with the projectile point, fire, and cooking, however.

If Bigfoot does kill large game it is likely he buries the carcass and harvests the maggots which is the same as what a grizzly does.

This was the report that first started my personal search to see if they were real. http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2953It was this report that started it for and was when I had my first bluff charge of cherry hill road. The next day or week you could see where the creature charged. My first lesson too.

If you are planning on taking one out with a higher cal then you need to take out the whole clan. But I believe that you could have been taken out at any time they wanted too and there would be nothing you could have done. ^^Fararcher^^ It would be best to gain high definition then loose a whole team. That's what that they were trying to show you by running up on your six. You are alive cause they wanted that way, other wise you would not be here.

One of the worst realizations in the world, is finding yourself in a hatchet fight, and you're the only one without a hatchet.

I'll never go back in without a large caliber, fast shooting, magazine fed semi-automatic, high powerful rifle.  My "equalizer."  

I know little, but I know that for a quadraped, if you bust up the front shoulders, you've slowed them down considerably.  I know for a fact, that when shooting a bipedal, if you bust up the pelvic area, you've slowed them down considerably.  But to do that, you better have some hard-hitting, bone-cracking, massive bullets traveling with great energy to bust them up.  Marginal may be cost effective, but marginal in this case would be a disaster.

So if I ever again meet up with a critter that is twice as fast as me, with three to four times my mass, half again my reach, and my best guess would be at least eight times my strength - I want something with a volume of "grunt" to "slow him down considerably."

Yes, I completely agree that if you drop/kill one, you're in for the fight of your life.  From the others.  They have tactical excellence as I've stated many times.  I know that if I ever shoot one, I'll/we'll have to kill the others.  Only way you're getting out of there.

If anyone doubts the one you see is just one member of a family/clan, and you believe this one you see is a lone critter, give it a whirl.  

One of us is right.

Edited by FarArcher

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

There are no known instances of a gun killing a Bigfoot in a self defense situation.

Not verified, anyway (obviously no body) no corpus delectii (no corpus detect I).

Why that is may be up to speculation.

Seems to have very rarely injured or killed by throwing rocks.

Anecdotal that they may suffocate.

From the evidence I've found they are very good ambush predators. From what Fararcher and WesT have found they are probably in agreement with this assessment. If a person were to be the subject of these ambush tactics, they wouldn't have a chance. Besides there are a lot of other reasons for carrying a firearm in the woods and BF isn't the only one. You can be assured if I can't back out of a bad situation, I would do the most damage I could til I'm a goner.

LCB, you forgot to mention the Ape Canyon miners shooting incident which is a lot closer to home for me. In fact I was about five or six miles from there on tuesday.

Edited by BigTreeWalker
  • Upvote 1

I like your approach.

With perhaps as few as 400 Bigfoot in the lower 48 a non-intrusive approach is best.

And the habitat is being decimated as well, the amount of logging in the last 20 years is runaway.

I'd estimate 50 percent of all forests have been cut over world wide.

Probably one of the most endangered large mammalian species on the planet, as well.

I'm new and been on only three expeditions all in the last year.  Each time we encountered the creatures.  Now,we had some intelligence going into these areas, but the odds of a newbie being so fortunate makes me think there are tens of thousands of these creatures in the lower 48 alone.