If You Shot One, Would That Be Poaching?

TD-40

Go out on a limb and pretend someone shot a sasquatch and hauled the body into town. The sheriff gets wind of this but what would he do? Could he charge the person with "poaching?" Does there have to be a state law that recognizes and protects a species or a hunting season to protect an animal and to be legally capable of charging someone with poaching something?

Personally, and assuming Im the type who would shoot one if not threatened, I think you would have to "explain", if asked, why you shot the creature. To be on the safe side you would certainly have to say you felt threatened, that you were in immediate fear of losing your life, or fearful of great bodily harm. This would cover you in ANY case. Now, Im just making conversation, and am not suggesting this be done, but it would cover any supposition of endangered species, or poaching, or whatever else they could come up with. I believe, that once it became known that you "bagged" a Foot, you would no doubt be visited by guys in Trench Coats and Sunglasses, driving a dark Suburban !!!

All you would have to do was pick the institution that you were donating the body too in the name of science.

Its a type specimen of a new species of primate......its a big deal.

Is Yuchi and others like him going to send you hate mail....and call you names like "bad Elk hunter"? Probably.

But the great thing about killing one is that you will accomplish what Yuchi and Ketchum and Standing never could....REAL PROTECTION of the species.

And any lawsuit brought against you for doing due dilligence in the name of science? Is going to be thwarted by the very scientific institutions you donated to. Does anyone think big colleges and museums have deep pockets for something like a Sasquatch discover?? I do.

• Upvote 1

I think the real trick is to keep a shooting/recovery absolutely secret until all your little ducks are lined up.  

It's not like you're going to be successfully prosecuted for homocide - regardless of any DNA results.  All you'll have to do is break out the photos of you next to this critter, and no one would say this thing is human - despite how close DNA may suggest.

State game laws may be a problem in some states to be sure.  IF you're caught in the process.  If not, then it's not a problem.  

If one could stay quiet, take immediate photos of the eyes with a white balance to enable identical duplication, skin it, make quality molds of muscle-on, then dress it and once the skeleton bones are clean - make molds of those too.  Good, quality molds that will enable an identical skeleton.  Hundreds of identical skeletons.

Save the gut pile, but rinse the stomach and intestines - then have hundreds of microscope slides made up of the various tissues, ready for any organization that wishes to examine them.  Heart slides, kidney slides, stomach slides, brain slides, muscle slides - all of it. 

THEN, put an identical "skin" (like in a wax museum quality work of art), on the muscle molds you took, replicate the eyes and color, and THEN present your findings with a duplicate of skeleton right alongside of it.

The original skeleton should be kept in a very safe place - and not a freezer on your back porch.

Everyone can have their own skeleton, and maybe get off their butts and go find another.

Edited by FarArcher

All you would have to do was pick the institution that you were donating the body too in the name of science.

Is Yuchi and others like him going to send you hate mail....and call you names like "bad Elk hunter"? Probably.

But the great thing about killing one is that you will accomplish what Yuchi and Ketchum and Standing never could....REAL PROTECTION of the species.

And any lawsuit brought against you for doing due dilligence in the name of science? Is going to be thwarted by the very scientific institutions you donated to. Does anyone think big colleges and museums have deep pockets for something like a Sasquatch discover?? I do.

Some cowboy from Washington comes flying into town with a body in the bed of his PU truck and says I'm gonna give it to XYZ university, wahoo!

However, LE takes notice and says not so fast ******. That thing looks like that guy in the GEICO commercial so we're going to hafta let the ME do an examination.

Uh-Oh, the DNA comes back and it looks bad for ****** as the ME says it appears to be a homicide situation.

The DA gets involved and learns ****** had been running a website designed to demonize this very homo____ that's in the cooler at the ME's office.

So, ******, you've been saying you're gonna shoot one of these things for quite some time?

You know, boy, around here we call that "with malice and forethought".

Didja ever think it might have been a good idea to find out what these things really are before blasting one?

Oh, you'd never seen one prior to pulling the trigger, only some tracks in the snow so you just figgered it was some kind of booger that would make you all famous and rich.

Well, you're gonna be famous (with Bubba, your new cellmate) but probably not so rich......

Edited by Yuchi1
  • Upvote 1

^^^ So MUCH drama crammed into so few lines. Amazing! Personally, I don't buy it for an instant. Cap said hairy critter, put this myth to rest.

• Upvote 2

Some cowboy from Washington comes flying into town with a body in the bed of his PU truck and says I'm gonna give it to XYZ university, wahoo!

However, LE takes notice and says not so fast ******. That thing looks like that guy in the GEICO commercial so we're going to hafta let the ME do an examination.

Uh-Oh, the DNA comes back and it looks bad for ****** as the ME says it appears to be a homicide situation.

The DA gets involved and learns ****** had been running a website designed to demonize this very homo____ that's in the cooler at the ME's office.

So, ******, you've been saying you're gonna shoot one of these things for quite some time?

You know, boy, around here we call that "with malice and forethought".

Didja ever think it might have been a good idea to find out what these things really are before blasting one?

Oh, you'd never seen one prior to pulling the trigger, only some tracks in the snow so you just figgered it was some kind of booger that would make you all famous and rich.

Well, you're gonna be famous (with Bubba, your new cellmate) but probably not so rich......

You have drank way too much Melba Ketchum koolaid.......

And I'm not looking to get rich or famous.

So, you are saying these entities are in no way a homo____ being and that there is no concern whatsoever of potential criminal/civil liability blowback from overtly killing one?

And, what evidence (or, koolaid) is such a position predicated upon?

IMO, fortune may not favor the bold, in this instance.

So, you are saying these entities are in no way a homo____ being and that there is no concern whatsoever of potential criminal/civil liability blowback from overtly killing one?

I dont think they are the same genus let alone the same species.

I base this upon Meldrum's mid tarsal break, Patty's features in the PGF, reported behavioral traits that do not include fire or tool manufacture, their ability to survive naked in climates that would kill a human, to which I was a witness to with the trackway.

And we have already discussed Ketchums flawed results recently.

Considering laws that protect species other than Homo Sapien Sapien? None on the books yet that are considered murder, although there has been a push recently to extend human rights to other great apes. And I would be all in favor of extending this to Sasquatch as well AFTER they are proven to science.

Until then they are pixies and gnomes, with zero protection that is even afforded to a fish with daily catch limits. Let alone the endangered species act.

Guest ChasingRabbits

I think they are a variant of Homo, but certainly not Sapiens.

Here lies the problem. What is a "human"? Are other Homo species "human"? If they are, then the laws that protect/govern/regulate "humans" apply to them too because when the law (at least US law) mentions "humans" it does not identify the human as H. sapien sapien, but merely human or some derivation thereof (ex "man", "woman", "child").

Who would bring a civil suit? Another Sasquatch that went to Harvard?

A criminal prosecution could be threatened but would be a circus worse than OJ. Most DAs in the country wouldn't touch it unless all the conspiracy theories about the big guy are true and come screaming out of the closet.

The first guy to kill one will have a plausible defense, against homicide and even against manslaughter, because of the uncertainty of classification even though there will be those who want to lynch him.  The second guy will have the world come down on him.

^^^^^

Agreed and as it should be. As a hunter you could not give me a all expenses paid hunt for one of our cousins the great apes. I think its sick and wrong, and I think they should be protected with lethal force if needed.

That extends to Sasquatch as well in my opinion AFTER they are recognized as a real species.

And I hope that a passive sample collection beats me or anyone to the punch first. And I have resolved myself to getting an evidence kit. But I'm not worrying about poo collection if im looking it square in the face. I think the clock is running and we dont have much time left.