What Triggers Bigfoot To Be Mean?

georgerm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/deadly-orangutan-attack-2-apes-team-up-to-kill-another/

Deadly Orangutan Attack: 2 Apes Team Up to Kill Another

A loud rumble, a scuffle and 33 long minutes of coordinated attacks by a female orangutan and her male partner led to the death of an older female orangutan in a Borneo forest, in what scientists say is the first incident of lethal aggression among orangutans ever observed by researchers.

Female orangutans are not normally aggressive. They are solitary, and rarely engage in fights, according to primatologist Anna Marzec, of the University of Zurich in Switzerland, who witnessed the event. Even more surprising is that the attacking female used a male orangutan as a "hired gun" to help corner and attack the victim, the scientist said.

Although aggression among primates is frequent, lethal attacks are rare, said Marzec. In fact, it has only been observed in a handful of species: chimpanzees, red colobus monkeys, capuchins, muriquis and spider monkeys. [Image Gallery: Lethal Aggression in Wild Chimpanzees]

"In previous observations, whenever we have seen aggression between females it hasn't even led to injuries," Marzec told Live Science. "It's normally a quick chase, sometimes some hitting or biting but those females—and we've seen only six such cases before over 12 years of studies—they never even leave their victims with wounds. That's why this particular case is so special."

Aggression among primates is a normal expression of competition for resources, Marzec said. Males compete over females and females compete for food, but these skirmishes are usually between members of the same sex. The two sexes typically only associate during the few months before a female orangutan is ready to conceive, the researchers said.

The case Marzec and her colleagues observed involved a young female orangutan named Kondor, who had recently lost her infant, and an older female named Sidony. Both orangutans lived in Indonesia's Mawas Reserve and had a history of aggressive interaction, the researchers said.

In the two weeks before the attack, Kondor was seen associating with various males, particularly one named Ekko, the researchers said. Kondor and Ekko approached Sidony together and Ekko sexually inspected Sidony before returning to mate with the younger Kondor, they added.

When Sidony started to move away, Kondor interrupted her mating and attacked Sidony. Immediately, Ekko also joined the fight, taking turns attacking the older female, the researchers reported. While one physically attacked Sidony, the other orangutan watched and blocked the victim's escape.

The fight attracted another male orangutan, Guapo, to approach and protect Sidony, eventually leading the older female away from the fight. Despite his help preventing further attacks, Sidony sustained significant injuries and died two weeks later, according to the study.

The researchers are unsure what caused Kondor's unusually aggressive behavior. Kondor could have been prompted by the presence of a male partner-in-crime who was willing to help in return for more mating time, Marzec said. But males have had such opportunities before.

"This is a really odd, one-off case," said primate behavioral ecologist John Mitani, who studies chimpanzees at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor but was not involved with the new study. "It's an anecdote embedded in thousands and thousands of hours of observation of these animals, not only in this study, but many other studies in Borneo and Sumatra. So it's really hard to interpret what’s going on and what's responsible."

Marzec thinks this case could be an example of extreme competition for resources. Forest fires and illegal logging in neighboring areas have destroyed orangutan habitats. As a result, orangutans are living in increasingly crowded conditions, all vying for limited resources.

"These animals have been living on the edge and are highly endangered," Mitani said, noting that "we're placing them in even more vulnerable conditions. As we do, are we going to see more unusual aspects of their behavior manifest as a result?"

Details of the deadly fight were published Feb. 3 in the journal Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology.

Edited by Incorrigible1

Prior to the alpha male slamming over the tower stand, following us for ~1/2 mile and throwing a grapefruit size stone at us, he had come to within ~20 yards of our campsite 2X and then pursued each time by one of the participants.

Edited by Yuchi1

What do you think would happen if one could overcome their fear and charge the BF, maybe dove at the lower body like a football tackler?  Seriously, a chance to grab some hair samples.

I think the BF would not be expecting that, especially if he was zapping you with infrasound.  I believe a benzo drug like Valium might have value in overcoming their infrasound.

I know this post sounds a little flippant, but how many times do you have a chance to be a hero?

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

What do you think would happen if one could overcome their fear and charge the BF, maybe dove at the lower body like a football tackler?  Seriously, a chance to grab some hair samples.

I think the BF would not be expecting that, especially if he was zapping you with infrasound.  I believe a benzo drug like Valium might have value in overcoming their infrasound.

I know this post sounds a little flippant, but how many times do you have a chance to be a hero?

It would work, simple physics.

The problem what would happen immediately after.

You take hair, he takes your head.

He would have to be in a committed charge past your location so lining that up might be the problem.

I guess you could encourage him to attack you.

Again, with predictable consequences.

Headline: Headless researcher found with handfull of monkey hair. 

PS: what about glue pads?

I have no scientific basis whatsoever for this postulation, but I have seen too many times evidence of what I'll call "genetic memory," for lack of a better term.

Kids I grew up with - sons who seemed to suddenly have the skills or basic intuition of their parent.  A master mechanic - and the son even as a kid, is a masterful mechanic - with understandings far beyond his years.  Another who never ever delved in music - too busy being a kid - one day picks up a guitar and in a month is playing it like he's been doing it for years.  Moves to a piano, and same thing.  Just phenomenal.

We as a species - overall (not necessarily every single one of us) has a fair fear of things unseen but heard in the dark.  We as a group are comforted by a fire which provides more benefit that just the heat alone.  

I've been surprised to learn that Native Americans have many legends about outright "wars" with the hairy men.  Same stories are found in Europe, and in the Nordic legends - Beowulf being one of those stories.  

We humans don't like threats.  You scare us, you worry us, you concern us, and we'll get together, hunt you down, and kill you.  Man or animal - we'll gang up on you and hunt you down.  Of course, these are legends.  Myths.  Stories.  But more and more, I start to appreciate that multiple stories, from multiple sources, from different continents, at different eras - may be describing more of events, and less imagination.

If there have been outright "wars" in the past between men and Critters - and throw in diseases that men brought to North America - Critters may have not only a genetic memory of past dangers provided by men, but they may know of occasional hunters shooting and wounding - if not killing some of their kind and have learned that men are as a general rule - best left alone.  Avoided.  

Especially those who carry rifles.

• Upvote 3

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

http://beforeitsnews.com/paranormal/2014/08/native-americans-reveal-secrets-of-bigfoot-2473744.html

L. Peter James of the Lummi Tribe related last year to the writer that the Seeahtik always leaves a tiny branch of the cedar tree at places they have visited or upon people whom they have killed or played a practical joke on. The Duwamish Tribe at one time related that some of their women had been stolen. The Seeahtik in a rage killed 12 of the Duwamish Tribe by ripping them in two. Mr. James’ mother, who is still alive was a witness to the tragedy. She said:

“They took our young men like toys, turning them upside down and ripping them in two like a piece of calico. Never again did the Duwamish Tribe seek revenge when their women and babies were stolen by these Snayihum or Indians of the night and brothers to the Noseless one.â€

http://beforeitsnews.com/paranormal/2014/08/native-americans-reveal-secrets-of-bigfoot-2473744.html

L. Peter James of the Lummi Tribe related last year to the writer that the Seeahtik always leaves a tiny branch of the cedar tree at places they have visited or upon people whom they have killed or played a practical joke on. The Duwamish Tribe at one time related that some of their women had been stolen. The Seeahtik in a rage killed 12 of the Duwamish Tribe by ripping them in two. Mr. James’ mother, who is still alive was a witness to the tragedy. She said:

“They took our young men like toys, turning them upside down and ripping them in two like a piece of calico. Never again did the Duwamish Tribe seek revenge when their women and babies were stolen by these Snayihum or Indians of the night and brothers to the Noseless one.â€

There are always two sides to the story. Did the Native Americans offend the bigfoot first to make them mean? When hunting they may have shot bigfoots with arrows to scare them off. Then later the bigfoots kidnap villagers as a form of revenge. We may never know unless more stories can be compiled to see if a pattern forms. 

Did the bigfoots constantly bug the Native Americans so the tribe retaliated and shot up the bigfoots with arrows? The Chehalis Indians reported bigoots stealing Salmon from the drying racks.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/bigfoot_walks.html :The Inuit Indians of the region called the creature by various names, including Wendigo, Witigo, Witiko and Wee-Tee-Go but each of them was roughly translated to mean "the evil spirit that devours mankind". Around 1860, a German explorer translated Wendigo to mean "cannibal" among the tribes along the Great Lakes.

Even into the last century, Native Americans actively believed in, and searched for, the Wendigo.

One of the most famous Wendigo hunters was a Cree Indian named Jack Fiddler. He claimed to kill at least 14 of the creatures in his lifetime, although the last murder resulted in his imprisonment at the age of 87.      read more from the web page.

• Upvote 1

I think its a personal space issue.   Crowd anybody or an animal and you find they have limits.   I also think this imaginary line in the sand is always moving for lots of reasons.  Violate territory, proximity to young, food source or getting to close could trigger a response.   Every situation is different, and what you got away with yesterday may not work today.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

There are always two sides to the story. Did the Native Americans offend the bigfoot first to make them mean? When hunting they may have shot bigfoots with arrows to scare them off. Then later the bigfoots kidnap villagers as a form of revenge. We may never know unless more stories can be compiled to see if a pattern forms. 

Did the bigfoots constantly bug the Native Americans so the tribe retaliated and shot up the bigfoots with arrows? The Chehalis Indians reported bigoots stealing Salmon from the drying racks.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/bigfoot_walks.html :The Inuit Indians of the region called the creature by various names, including Wendigo, Witigo, Witiko and Wee-Tee-Go but each of them was roughly translated to mean "the evil spirit that devours mankind". Around 1860, a German explorer translated Wendigo to mean "cannibal" among the tribes along the Great Lakes.

Even into the last century, Native Americans actively believed in, and searched for, the Wendigo.

One of the most famous Wendigo hunters was a Cree Indian named Jack Fiddler. He claimed to kill at least 14 of the creatures in his lifetime, although the last murder resulted in his imprisonment at the age of 87.      read more from the web page.

What I get from the tales I've read is that occasionally Bigfoot steal woman and kidnap to make a member of the family group and sometimes they kill people as prey, or in revenge (though not very often).

Mostly they have an understanding that if we leave them alone they leave us alone, but if we kill them on purpose they will target us and kill disproportional more of us.

Some are friendly, most avoid us or are hostile.

If they are friendly the human friends are probably not discussing it much to protect their Sasquatch friends.

I put a lot of more credence into a lot of native tales than what you get nowadays, they have tens of thousands of years of collective memory to call on and had a much better relationship with natural beings and the natural world.

They see animals as a type of people and persons as just a type of animal with more spirit energy than most animals, although some animals can have more spirit power than most humans. It all depends on tuning in.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

I think its a personal space issue.   Crowd anybody or an animal and you find they have limits.   I also think this imaginary line in the sand is always moving for lots of reasons.  Violate territory, proximity to young, food source or getting to close could trigger a response.   Every situation is different, and what you got away with yesterday may not work today.

This is a good point for if the Native Americans move their village and don't realize the bigfoots claim their land, then problems result. After a few years it becomes a war of kidnapping, killing and so on.

What I get from the tales I've read is that occasionally Bigfoot steal woman and kidnap to make a member of the family group and sometimes they kill people as prey, or in revenge (though not very often).

Mostly they have an understanding that if we leave them alone they leave us alone, but if we kill them on purpose they will target us and kill disproportional more of us.

Some are friendly, most avoid us or are hostile.

If they are friendly the human friends are probably not discussing it much to protect their Sasquatch friends.

I put a lot of more credence into a lot of native tales than what you get nowadays, they have tens of thousands of years of collective memory to call on and had a much better relationship with natural beings and the natural world.

They see animals as a type of people and persons as just a type of animal with more spirit energy than most animals, although some animals can have more spirit power than most humans. It all depends on tuning in.

David Paulides two books focusing on the lower Klamath Indians reports of kidnappings.

What made these bigfoots mean?

http://cryptozoologynews.com/10-hours-with-a-bigfoot/

It is not unusual for us to receive e-mails related to Bigfoot sightings, but when a sighting becomes a close encounter of the ape kind, now that’s a different story.

Jason Richardson is an avid 48 year old hiker. He has done the Appalachian trail and climbed countless European mountains. He had never imagined the situation he found himself in during a simple hike in Northern California.

It was a full day hike consisting of 9.5 miles across the beautiful South Lake Tahoe, ending in Mount Tallac’s summit, which sits at 9,735ft above sea level.

Richardson’s experience made him feel confident that he would be able to finish the trail in less time than a full day. He carried enough food and water to manage for about 17 hours and  just in case something went wrong, he carried a small-one person camouflage shelter attached to his backpack.

“I had a clear idea where I was going, I carried enough food and water for a day and I determined the trail wouldn’t take that long. Boy was I wrong.†Says Richardson in the email. “I gotta say the first ten hours of the trip were enjoyable, it is a good time of the year (late Spring) to do some bird watching and you can spot some cool animals here and there. Of course, you always have to keep a close eye on the bears, but carrying strong pepper spray gives you an edge should any bear problem arise.â€

He had reached for a water bottle, hanging on the side of his backpack, when he noticed the awkward sound; a guttural, human-baby voice.

“Hell, I thought I should check, it could have been an abandoned baby or who knows,†he describes what happened next, †Then, as I put the bottle of water down on the ground, I headed to the bush where I thought I’d heard the sound. When I woke up I had no idea where I was and my head hurt wonders.â€

2048px-Crystal_Range_and_Gilmore_Lake_fr By Miguel Vieira from Walnut Creek, CA, USA [CC-BY-2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Jason was inside a small cavern, and the sound of running water nearby drew him back to his full senses. When he looked up he saw an image he will never forget.

“There were two big bear-like creatures, standing up, seemingly arguing with each other in that same guttural tone of voice I had heard earlier back on the trail. I felt the back on my head and I noticed I had some blood. Something or someone had hit me hard enough for me to pass out and the carried along the trail inside a small cave or something. Their paws didn’t have claws, and I can tell they resembled human features. To be honest I wasn’t able to make out fingerprints or nothing, but what struck me hard was that they were completely hairless up to the elbow. Their torso and legs were covered in thick red hair, and their feet were even hairier, I couldn’t see any toes. No nails neither.â€

If this story hasn’t caught your attention yet, wait to see what Jason has to say about the creatures’ upper bodies.

Vulture_PSF-222x300.png

“I was terrified, I had no idea what was going on and it looked more like a nightmare or something. I thought maybe I had eaten something wrong or the water had gone bad, and I was hallucinating. But I wasn’t, what I was watching was real. My hands and ankles were tied up with some type of plant material. They stood tall, I calculated probably between eight to ten feet, and I wasn’t able to see their heads well. Then they approached me, and I pissed my pants, literally. I am not ashamed to say this, I was so fearful I had no idea if this was it you know? That’s when I saw their heads. Their necks were hairless and they reminded me of vultures. Their heads had red hair, but also black feathers or I don’t know what it was, but it looked like feathers to me. Their eyes were dark, very dark and big as they got close to me. They weren’t communicating with each other anymore. The tallest one grabbed me by the tied legs and pulled me across the cave, dropping me on the cold surface. I was silent, I was afraid if I talked it would make them upset and make it worse. Then the shortest one came by and kicked me in the chest, I almost lost conscience again. They left me alone for five minutes or so and when they came back they were carrying what looked like tools, made out of wood and stone. They set my hands and legs free but I didn’t move. I sat back, with my back on the wall of the cave, and I could feel water run inside my shirt. I think I was getting sick. Then they approached me again and grabbed me by the arms and legs and they threw me outside of the cave. They threw a sharp rock at me and it hit me on the back. I ran like I had never ran before. I didn’t have a backpack, food or water. I found the trail and got back to my vehicle. When I checked my watch I realized I had been captive for about ten hours. I didn’t report this incident. This is the first time I share the story with someone. I was embarrassed to talk about this. As I was driving back home I saw two kids with sticks playing by the edge of the woods, next to the road. They were very tall and had long hair. I don’t know what to think anymore.â€

Was this a couple of Bigfoot or was it something else? Was Jason Richardson under the influence of some drug? Real or not, the truth is this is a story nobody would like to experience. Oh, and who were those kids?

Thank you Jason for sharing your experience.

Why do they turn mean?  The answer is pretty obvious.  They can't get a Snickers bar out in the woods.

17x7

We may never know since bigfoot has been reported to have a range of behaviors. This report was vetted by BFRO so this enable me to consider the odds of it being true. I usually error on the side of truth.

Too many people never report their experiences since they may be seen as frauds. If true, another example of bigfoot behavior.