What Triggers Bigfoot To Be Mean?

georgerm

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I don't really buy into the idea that they are aggressive resulting mostly from aggression from man. IMO, we would have more history and reports of pursuing BF to have created this hatred of man. I still stick to the belief that it is a territorial issue or protecting a family group / the young. There is also the possibility of a grumpy BF as well, I'm sure all creatures have a bad day putting them in a sour mood.

Your point is very well taken and your theory is probably a fact. Bigfoot's aggressive behavior is likely a combination of several factors depending on the individual and its history.

As far as the thread topic, witness reports seem to indicate that territory might be associated with aggressive behavior.      Encounter in one area and BF just looks and walks away.    But in other areas,   being chased out of the area is sometimes reported.     There is an area (Mountain Loop Highway East of Granite Falls WA) where reports of aggressive behavior is fairly common.      That seems to indicate there are some very bad tempered BF there.    Mental illness,  parasites,  even rabies are all possible explanations for bad tempered BF.       Protection of young might be a factor.    Get between a BF and a juvenile might be very dangerous, as it is with most animals.   

Very interesting. If possible can you post more on these reports? This is part of bigfoot behavior that we don't understand yet since they are nearly impossible to study. There are many questions and few answers. Does this BF group have genes that cause aggression or bad experiences? My guess is many times some of these animals have been shot and recovered resulting in life long hatred for humans. This hatred could be passed down to juveniles dues to their ability to communicate.

It has to do with evolution and mutual avoidance strategies end mutually exclusive ecological niches allowing each species to survive without competing directly.

We won many millions of years ago and the Bigfoot took the least desirable niche, one where we were not able to follow or go and had no desire to live in.

If Bigfoot came down into our towns and chased woman and stole our food we would round up the dogs and hunt them down.

If we go up into Bigfoots home town, so to speak, they bluff charge and make threat displays (throwing rocks, aggressive vocalization, tree breaking) and discharge malodorous musk to drive us off.

Just as we drive then back to the highland forests when they get too bold.

This really makes sense. By the time bigfoot arrived to the Americas, it had already adapted to mountains and remained there where they felt safe. In the meantime the Native Americans began to fill in the low lands, and the bigfoots stayed clear of them due to bad experiences. Imagine if you were a bigfoot and were shot by an arrow that won't phs infections set in and the bigfoot clan watches this poor individual die a horrid slow death. This clan would never forget this and avoid Native Americans at all cost by staying in the mountains. Now we have a clan of bigfoots that fell hatred for the Native Americans that may take years to subside. It may take years since bigfoots may be able to tell their young about this event.

Your anecdotes I would have no problem with.

In addition I think that the avoidance and mutual exclusion go back millions of years and so are not just learned or perceptual but ingrained and instinct based.

Such as the great fear that many people have of Bigfoot even though they don't seem that scared of bears, or other large wildlife.

The release of musk and mock charges and threat displays are pretty instinctive type behavior as well.

We learned to avoid each other on the plains and uplifts of the Rift valley in Africa I think.

The problem is with modern road building and tree cutting, gas engines, cars and trucks our ecological niche is further expanding at the expense of theirs.

When mistrust and disliking becomes instinctually related to gene coding that controls thoughts, then there is a huge divide between species.

Whether it controls your thoughts is a result of self consciousness and the ability to regulate autonomic processes in the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system (don't you just love  syllables  :startle: ) . 

You could theorize we might be better at that. 

But in stealth mode it seems Bigfoot is better although manifesting hiding behavior.

BFF Patron

^^^Obvious you have never heard a BF coming through the forest at you.

• Upvote 1

When you encounter a bigfoot, the dice are rolling.  Every single encounter is circumstantial, and the retiring bigfoot you meet once may have a toothache the next time you see him and be less tolerant of your presence.  They may just hide and watch you until you get close to one of their young.  All sorts of things can translate into a bad situation.

A lot of things could be triggers.  Some only if other factors are in play, others may be consistent.

Being chased into the seclusion of the dark forests and swamps by modern man. Maybe. :)

SWWA: He's a skeptic and may not have read many reports of bigfoot doing bluff charges.

Maybe someone can post a bfro bluff charge report.

When you encounter a bigfoot, the dice are rolling.  Every single encounter is circumstantial, and the retiring bigfoot you meet once may have a toothache the next time you see him and be less tolerant of your presence.  They may just hide and watch you until you get close to one of their young.  All sorts of things can translate into a bad situation.

A lot of things could be triggers.  Some only if other factors are in play, others may be consistent.

Hello JDL:  Good point and unpredictability is unsettling. It's the risk we take when entering forests. The chances of seeing a BF are so slim, but if ya' do, then pray for a peaceful out come.

Many years ago while in India, I was attacked by a 40 pound Mecaque monkey. It lunged at me ............. I ducked, and ran before it's teeth got me. It was too close. Don't stare into their eyes. They would charge you if you looked into their eyes.

I suppose act docile if you see BF and avoid too much eye contact. However, there are many reports of no problems by looking BF in the eyes. What's the scoop here?

BFF Patron

The NA suggest to lower your head and divert your eyes with a close BF encounter.    That suggests you recognize their mastery of the situation.     Something two or three feet taller than me is boss in my book.  But I would not run or turn my back.  

I know a pilot that was attacked by a monkey in India.   Bit him right on the face.  When I was a kid I knew some people that had a pet monkey.   That thing got mean when it got older and they had to keep it in a cage all the time.     Perhaps grumpy old man applies to primates of any size?   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

The NA suggest to lower your head and divert your eyes with a close BF encounter.    That suggests you recognize their mastery of the situation.     Something two or three feet taller than me is boss in my book.  But I would not run or turn my back.  

I know a pilot that was attacked by a monkey in India.   Bit him right on the face.  When I was a kid I knew some people that had a pet monkey.   That thing got mean when it got older and they had to keep it in a cage all the time.     Perhaps grumpy old man applies to primates of any size?   

You fellers do what you will.

I'm not taking my eyes off that thing except to keep my head on a swivel for what may be coming up on me from the rear or my flanks.

In fact, I'd say the opposite.  I have good reason to believe that once they know you're aware of them and where the others are - they're not inclined to press you.  If you're with someone else and tactically align back to back, especially if carefully retreating, it throws them off their game.

They're not stupid.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I say use judo, one ounce of force can defeat a thousand pounds.

Then put him in a wrist lock and make him call mama.

:vampire:

I have heard  all the reports including yours. I asked you for the picture   and  got no response.  No matter   without  positive proof in the form of  a specimen  the  creature  shall remain unproven. 

BFF Patron

I have heard  all the reports including yours. I asked you for the picture   and  got no response.  No matter   without  positive proof in the form of  a specimen  the  creature  shall remain unproven. 

A picture is not proof of anything other than I have a picture.  If I get more material I may write a book.      As I have previously stated,   on advice of other authors, the less I publish here, the less chance of a copyright issue should someone claim the picture is theirs after the book is published.     Without a picture prior to the book release, they would have no basis for a claim.     

↑↑

Thank you for the response. I respect your reasons. Makes perfect sense.

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin