Why Hasn't There More Bigfoot Been Shot

yowiie

I don't mean to offend anyone by this post

Living in Australia we have very strict gun laws and you must provide of identity and a genuine reason for wanting a gun or rifle.

Reasons like eliminating vermon or your a member of a gun club, there aren't many other reasons for applying for the desired licence

What fascinates the Australian population are the lacks American gun laws, whenever there is a shooting in the USA its all over owe news for days and the big question is "when are they going to tighten the gun laws"

It comes across to the majority of Australians is that nearly every second person has a gun in America

So getting to the point of my post, if there are so many people with guns in the USA, why aren't there more BF bodies compared to the amount of sightings

I hope i have not offended anyone, that was not my intention

I am pro kill for at least one specimen in the name of science. Possible reasons they are not shot here in my humble opinion.

1- They do not exist

2- There are so few

3-Elusive and intelligent enough to only dwell in the thick dark forests and swamps where humans do not tread.

4- They are shot and not documented for fear of repercussions.

5- Government intervention and or cover up.

I personally think number one is the most plausible answer.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your imput and yes there probably is only very few of them. But when you look at the reorted sightings, they appear to be everywhere, which just doesn't make any sense

That was the reason for starting this thread, so many sightings and far to many guns and no body

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Thanks for your imput and yes there probably is only very few of them. But when you look at the reorted sightings, they appear to be everywhere, which just doesn't make any sense

That was the reason for starting this thread, so many sightings and far to many guns and no body

Probably not everywhere, people are so exited to see one that they think they see them everywhere.

Living in Australia we have very strict gun laws and you must provide of identity and a genuine reason for wanting a gun or rifle.

Reasons like eliminating vermon or your a member of a gun club, there aren't many other reasons for applying for the desired licence

What fascinates the Australian population are the lacks American gun laws, whenever there is a shooting in the USA its all over owe news for days and the big question is "when are they going to tighten the gun laws"

It comes across to the majority of Australians is that nearly every second person has a gun in America

So getting to the point of my post, if there are so many people with guns in the USA, why aren't there more BF bodies compared to the amount of sightings

When are our gun laws going to be tightened? The 2nd amendment is over 200 years old, so not soon.

My opinion is that most people are not pro kill. Just because they own guns or shoot deer does not mean they are shooting Bigfoot.

• Upvote 3

The vast majority of these shootings occur in so-called "gun-free zones" or occur in high-crime areas.

• Upvote 1

Guest Crowlogic

Why haven't more T-rex been shot?  Why haven't any Neanderthals been shot?  Why hasn't a Thunderbird been shot or a Griffin?  Since the question is asked why for all intents and purposes no bigfoot have been shot doesn't that indicate there is something wrong with the picture?  We humans manage to shoot everything else that walks, talks, flies or swims.  

Interesting.  Our gun laws aren't lax, they just aren't enforced.

For the most part, legal gun owners only shoot at other people with guns.  Bigfoot generally don't have guns.

Facts get embellished.  Some of us believe that cannibalism is not infrequent in Australia, for example. 

Edited by JDL

Seriously, I wonder why more are not shot.  People shoot everything around here... horses in pastures, livestock, gators, dolphins, manatees.  I don't buy all of the conspiracy type theories that say as soon as one is shot, the men in black show up and take the body away, etc.  That would mean the conspiracy went back centuries, as there is no definitive proof of one ever being shot by anyone at any time.  We know how prehistoric man killed Mammoths by finding their bones with stone spear heads in them, yet can't come up with any evidence of a dead bigfoot. 

Interesting.  You guys in Australia waited too long remaining subjects - we fought the Brits and became citizens - so we don't have to have a reason for a firearm.  

Now we too, use our firearms for vermin.  We have lots of two-legged vermin, but thanks to our firearms, not as many today as a week ago, or a month ago.

Actually, we don't have too few gun laws - some argue we have too many.  I note that Europeans can't fathom our gun laws, nor our preference for personal firearms.  With the attacks of immigrants rampant, they may be wishful for American type gun laws and commonality.

It's not that every other American has a gun, but we do have 40,000,000 more firearms than American citizens in this country.  And that's not nearly enough, so our factories are punching them out very efficiently.  Our problem is ammunition availability.  We keep selling ammo to the world who are using it, and it certainly drives up costs over here, and creates uneven distribution problems.

Of the roughly 370 million firearms in the US, on any given day, the bulk are NOT to be found in remote areas of the US.  Many are kept at home, many are what some of us would consider sub-calibers, unsuited to shoot and drop a Bigfoot, and many are handguns designed for anti-personnel use.

Those who have experience killing, understand that firearms are just tools, and not one tool can perform all tasks, and what is great for prarie dogs or small game will not drop a brown bear.  So there's that, too.  Suitability.

One would need to be in the right place, at the right time, with the right weapon for conditions, with the right amount of grunt, and then be lucky enough to get a drop.  And then, get it out.

Which I postulate, might be a bit more difficult than many may be inclined to believe.

• Upvote 4

Guest magnum peditum

I perceive 2 topics in the question. One is about the US Gun laws and shootings and the other is about BF not being shot even though the prevalence of guns. 

To answer 1. Correct me if I am wrong, but I just don't know of many shootings of note from the late 1800's to about the mid 20th century. Is that just perception?

To answer 2. For a Hunter I would suspect a very strong hesitance to shoot at something that looks human. Remember that in places like the PNW we are talking about very dense forests. A hunter would by training understand the importance of recognizing a target before shooting.  What is that thing on two legs shaped like a person? Or is it a person? Am I seeing things?  All it would take is hesitation which probably lead to a feeling of - (am i seeing what I think I am seeing)? By the time a hunter may process the whole thing in 5-7 seconds and object is gone in the dense forest. A hunter by training needs to recognize the target before firing upon it. I mean, if someone is hunting for deer they are looking for deer. I suspect hunting is more that just going out in the woods and shooting at things. Especially something that looks kind of human.

Admin

Plenty of reports where a hunter had one in his sights, but declined to take the shot since it was too human looking. Plenty of reports of shooting one, and either it just walks away unfazed or they follow a blood trail but never find a body. True or not? How do I know, I was not there. But if taken at face value, the opportunity has been there.

• Upvote 1

In response to Yowiie's initial comment, it fascinates me how people in Australia could allow themselves to be at the mercy of a tyrant or invading army.  You willingly surrender your right of self protection. You and every neighbor on your street would be slaughtered like sheep. In the States, a tyrant or invading force would be up against a firearm from every direction. They'd be up against wolves, not sheep, every single step along the way.

Many good reason outlined above. Those who don't believe or aren't looking for one are probably too stunned to even try to get a shot off.  Many who are hunting for a squatch probably find what they're looking for and see a human face looking back at them. Not too easy to pull that trigger.  It's one thing when you know you're hunting an animal. It has horns or hooves or long tails. It's altogether different when it has eyes, a nose, mouth, teeth and hands like us, and is looking right at you.

I would never kill one unless I was attacked and there was no other option.

• Upvote 3