Why Hasn't There More Bigfoot Been Shot

yowiie

Yes, FarArcher, that is another theme I have come across in regards to shooting a specimen (and as Branco alluded to). Most folks think they do not have enough gun to bring down one of them, regardless of what they are toting. And there is always that thought there could be more than one of them out there as well.

You can count me in that school of thought.  

Most sightings are clearly singles.  But I'd bet a steamy strong cup of coffee that most of those singles had associates nearby.  And the fastest way to get their attention, is to drop the one you see.

There's two kinds of attention.  Good attention, and bad attention.  Three guesses which kind I would suspect you'd get?

Thanks, David NC. I've owned two fully automatic firearms, a Thompson M1A1 "Tommy-Gun," and a shorty M16. I no longer own these firearms, but was legally licensed to own them. I was finger-printed in triplicate, had my county sheriff sign off on my ownership, and paid a $200 tax fee for each firearm.

Both are worth a small fortune today, and I dearly wish I still owned them. I didn't like the idea the Feds could knock upon my door at any time just to ascertain all was in order. And so I let my Class III firearms dealer know I wanted to sell said firearms. The final owners went thru the fine-toothed comb background check I enjoyed to own said guns. 

FWIW

Edit: I do own many semi-auto firearms. I'm a well armed individual. Should society tumble down, I'm able to hand a trusted friend a well-maintained WWII era bolt rifle, along with 100 rounds ammo. One gains many a trusted friend, that way.

Edited by Incorrigible1
  • Upvote 3

The first immigrant in my family tree came over in 1604, 172 years before the Revolution.  By 1776 my family considered themselves Virginians first and foremost.  Yes, there were ties to Britain, but by then the roots were Virginian.

The first on one side of my family came over in 1843 from Scotland, the other side was here already.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

One side was always here.

The other side discovered the first side.

Now I'm here.

Mi'kmaq, Passamaquoddy, African American, Welsh, English, German, Quaker not necessarily in that order.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Yes, FarArcher, that is another theme I have come across in regards to shooting a specimen (and as Branco alluded to). Most folks think they do not have enough gun to bring down one of them, regardless of what they are toting. And there is always that thought there could be more than one of them out there as well.

You can count me in that school of thought.  

Most sightings are clearly singles.  But I'd bet a steamy strong cup of coffee that most of those singles had associates nearby.  And the fastest way to get their attention, is to drop the one you see.

There's two kinds of attention.  Good attention, and bad attention.  Three guesses which kind I would suspect you'd get?

This is their Domain not ours and they rule , does not matter how big a gun you bring they will still rule. But they show restraint and that is a creature that is not aggressive unless threaten. They will let you know their strength when need too, they have been shot at way to many times not to have not learned from.Their history has shown how they have evolved and how they have strengthen not to be seen until they wanted them selves to be seen.Prove wrong on this , not one person has wanted to bring one in that has shot it and if they have we have not heard of them.

It is like a vault , it just stay locked up until the time is right and the info will be passed out for the world to see. but for now we ride on the edge of this sword until we reach the tip.I know what is out there so does alot of us who have seen these creatures, alot has changed with them since back then. 1700 - 1800 yrs were the years and maybe even up to the 1900's. From there they changed and evolved , They understood the Native American Indians. But when the foreiners started coming to their lands well it all changed for them. How would we feel? But look at the restraint for a creature that is much larger then us. They scare the crap out of me ,but at the same time it gives me such a rush when they are around. Keeps me wanting more, Yea! Love it! Try it with out a gun or no protection Fararcher and then you will know life. :):o

Just to explain why I will NEVER try to kill one of these animals. Until 2010, I had never seen but two of them clearly. The first was a huge male that came to the back of my pickup camper shell. He was completely benign, and was talking to himself before he stopped within two feet of the back of the pick-up. Just nosey, curious and neat as he picked up my cooking gear and put it back in place.. The next was a noticeably pregnant female that stepped out in plain view just outside a holly thicket. She was listening to the Sierra Sounds from the CD I was playing. She was completely benign and curious.

About 3 PM on July 27, 2010 another one was apparently watching me put up a game camera in a deep, hollow that had a spring fed stream running through it. When I finished, it responded to some light wood knocks by breaking fairly large green tree limbs. When I clapped two rocks together once, it hit a dead tree with what sounded like a rock. After an hour or so I started walking out. It was standing and waiting on me beside the trail. It deliberately let me see him eye-to-eye for a few seconds, then ran off like a bat out of Hades and jumped off into the stream bed.

He was a teenager in excellent physical shape. Had the light coating of black hair on his body been shaved off, he would have looked like a high school fullback. No sane and rational human would ever shoot one of these creatures after seeing him.

There are aggressive BF which are dangerous. Some grown animals have been shot and wounded for no reason other than being what they are; huge, hairy and fearsome looking beings. Unprecedented destruction of their homelands - especially in the Southeast - - has, without a doubt, caused them to be more hostile toward humans who encroach on their ever dwindling foraging areas. 

• Upvote 3

Guest ChasingRabbits

Yowie as above stated several have been shot and a lot have been "drawn down" on and the people decided not to shoot. A hunter here in my state was in that position. He was a State trooper out hunting and never even pointed the gun at the Sasquatch and stated that it was to human looking.

You have already figured out the gun ownership is a touchy subject. If you get your info from mainstream media in the US then there probably is nothing to talk about because you have fallen for the propaganda. They keep trying to ban what they call "assault" weapons. The semiautomatic "assault weapon" (fully auto is illegal without the right permit and very few are given) is classed as a rifle in the FBI tracking of shootings. Rifles are second up from the bottom (above shotguns) for number of people killed. On average there are almost 2 times the people killed with knives, 2 times the number of people killed with blunt objects (hammer, ballbat), almost 3 times the number of people killed each year using no weapon other than hands, feet, pushing. now the most people in at almost 30 times the number killed with rifles are killed with handguns!  Why is the government trying to get rid of the "assault" weapon because if you had one of them it would not be near as easy to take you in a tactical assault type of situation. They should be going after what kills almost 16 times as many Americans every year than all murders combined and that is medical malpractice at 225,000 per year. I would feel less afraid of running into gun owner than I am going to the doctor.

My feelings exactly. BTW, keep knives out of this discussion........I don't want to undergo a background check every time I buy a set of steak knives. :) Also, I find hunters and collectors to be more "law abiding" than the gangster segment of our population who attain their firearms through black market contacts which completely circumvents the entire background check, registration, etc. etc. etc.

But back to shooting BF and bringing in his/her dead body. When a BF is shot, does it fall dead on the spot or is it just wounded and scampers away?  Are there accounts of people shooting BF then tracking the wounded BF until they find the wounded BF's body? Also what kind of bullets are they using? With a creature allegedly that big, I would think a 22 would be like hitting it with ping pong ball.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Just to explain why I will NEVER try to kill one of these animals. Until 2010, I had never seen but two of them clearly. The first was a huge male that came to the back of my pickup camper shell. He was completely benign, and was talking to himself before he stopped within two feet of the back of the pick-up. Just nosey, curious and neat as he picked up my cooking gear and put it back in place.. The next was a noticeably pregnant female that stepped out in plain view just outside a holly thicket. She was listening to the Sierra Sounds from the CD I was playing. She was completely benign and curious.

About 3 PM on July 27, 2010 another one was apparently watching me put up a game camera in a deep, hollow that had a spring fed stream running through it. When I finished, it responded to some light wood knocks by breaking fairly large green tree limbs. When I clapped two rocks together once, it hit a dead tree with what sounded like a rock. After an hour or so I started walking out. It was standing and waiting on me beside the trail. It deliberately let me see him eye-to-eye for a few seconds, then ran off like a bat out of Hades and jumped off into the stream bed.

He was a teenager in excellent physical shape. Had the light coating of black hair on his body been shaved off, he would have looked like a high school fullback. No sane and rational human would ever shoot one of these creatures after seeing him.

There are aggressive BF which are dangerous. Some grown animals have been shot and wounded for no reason other than being what they are; huge, hairy and fearsome looking beings. Unprecedented destruction of their homelands - especially in the Southeast - - has, without a doubt, caused them to be more hostile toward humans who encroach on their ever dwindling foraging areas. 

Great short essay, very informative and interesting.

Just google "list of bigfoot shootings". Robert Lindsay compiled a list that is out there in several places. Few would contend all of the stories have a basis in fact, but it only takes ONE....

I know Robert has his faults, but he did compile the list from many other sources, so don't shoot the messenger.

FWIW

The person you mention determined from what he compiled that one is shot on average every 4 years.

I know someone who said they knew someone who shot one twice in the abdomen and it turned and walked away.   I can recall several stories off hand of sasquatches being shot, like in the podcast "Siege at Honobia," (one of the Sasquatch Chronicles Episodes).  And I know another episode I listened to where they likely shot some.

Plussed several posts starting with Norseman's and several of those after his.

IMO, you have to get to the mindset of the citizens of a particular country, region, location.

The original thirteen colonies had one penal colony, Georgia.

Australia was one big penal colony where you could either go to prison locally or be transported there as many Irish were so done. However, once the natural resources of that continent were ascertained, things took on more of a commercial aspect there, yet the seeds were already sown.

Citizens of the USA are exactly that, citizens, citizens of the Commonwealth are also citizens but also subjects of the Crown which still possesses substantial power including the right to suspend Parliament, declare martial law, etc..

Also, remember we had just taken on the most potent military in the world, ruled by a monarch and had sent them packing.

​Therefore, the purpose of the second amendment is to forever place the capacity to wield lethal force squarely in the hands of the people as a means of last resort for when the government becomes tyrannical, to a critical mass.  (notice, I stated "when") â€‹

The number of firearms in this country has doubled in the last ~30 years while the murder rate has declined by ~50% which presents the problem to those that seek to disarm the public by claiming more guns equal more crimes.

The much publicized mass shootings all have the common denominator that they are "gun free" zones.

Twice each year the largest gun show (Wannenmacher) is held in Tulsa, Oklahoma with ~50,000 people attending and thousands of firearms and literally tons of ammunition for sale.

There has never been a mass shooting at this gun show in the 20+ years it's been in existence nor has there been one at any of the hundreds of other guns shows held each year in the USA.

Why?

IMO, it is because the monsters that walk among us are cowards however, they are not stupid.

That, my friend from down under is why we are different from you and hopefully, will always be so.

As others have also concurred, this post sums it all up as squarely as it will ever likely be defined.

If you have a differing viewpoint, IMO, you probably should conduct a humanity check...upon yourself.

I can recall several stories............

Therein lies a major issue. What is a report, other than a story?

The first immigrant in my family tree came over in 1604, 172 years before the Revolution.  By 1776 my family considered themselves Virginians first and foremost.  Yes, there were ties to Britain, but by then the roots were Virginian.

Same here, from Egypt ~4,000 years ago, Wales 1609, Scotland 1675 & France 1781 (was an officer in the french navy under LaFayette and stayed after the battle of Yorktown).

Edited by Yuchi1