Active Bigfoot Hunters: What Has Been Your Success?

Squatchy McSquatch

BFF Patron

Like Norsemen said, how often to elk and deer just lay down out of sight when you encounter them?.    A couple of times I have heard the movement typical of elk or deer moving through the underbrush then when I go into the thicket to investigate they make no more noise.     Since I never see what made the noise in the first place I cannot be sure what I encountered.     BF seem to have two modes of travel from my experience.     Full on stomp through the woods making good time, breaking dry brush etc as they go like a two footed tank and the second mode is nearly total silence moving tree to tree with an occasional deep soft footed thud.   The adult male is so heavy it they make a long step even a quiet footfall can result in a thud right at the bottom frequency limit of my hearing.    They seem to be able to carefully select where they put their feet down to avoid breaking dry wood.    I often try this and it is difficult to do.   They must practice it a lot.       SInce their first noisy travel mode is rare and likely only used when they assume no humans are around,   I have since tuned into the second mode listening for those deep thuds.  

I suppose that an adult bear of good size could make the thuds too, so I assume it is either one or the other when I start hearing it.   So far the bears take off when they get a good look at me.    The only one that did not, was one that was around my camp one night in New Mexico.  I heard it thudding around so I started banging pans,  started a backpack camp stove, and it was still moving  around the camp with an occasional growl thrown in.    To this day I wonder if it was a bear because I heard what sounded like rocks splashing in the creek.   That night, I assumed it was the bear on the opposite bank dislodging rocks that rolled into the creek.   But the next day realized that there was not enough embankment for rocks to roll down and make a splash.    Additionally there were no rocks along the bank.    For many years I assumed that was a bear.     If it was throwing rocks into the creek it was not a bear.   

Like Norsemen said, how often to elk and deer just lay down out of sight when you encounter them?  

Big, big blacktailed deer bucks will do exactly that.    You should read Boyd Iverson's 2 books on trophy blacktail hunting.   The young and dumb ones will panic and flee.   Big, old deer will step aside, lie down, etc, let you go by, then stand up and sneak off behind your back.    That's how they keep getting older, bigger, and smarter.  

If it bounces, blows, snorts, etc ... it's either a doe or a young, inexperienced buck generally 2 years old or less.   The behavior of an old, mature blacktail buck would make you think it's a totally different species, that's why they're so dang hard to kill ... most hunters' approach is geared to what they see the most ... not the big ol' boys.

Not sure about elk.

MIB

BFF Patron

I must be encountering the older ones then sometimes.     I hear movement that sounds like deer movement through the underbrush,  heard plenty of that,  before they bolt frantically making all the noise in the world.   Yes the ones I see tend to be smaller and are rarely bucks.     But sometimes I hear the movement noise, move towards it and don't hear or see anything in response.      Then I don't know what I am dealing with.     The last time was about a mile from where I had the cougar encounter and since nothing bolted when I started moving into the underbrush, I decided just to back out rather than chance cornering a cougar up against a cliff face.    Since that big cat jumped right down in front of me off that cliff face,  I am pretty nervous about having high ground near me.    I move past as far away away from cliff faces as I can get.     If on a two lane abandoned logging road I am in the outside lane.    Even at that the cat jumped that far.    I carry the gun because of them but realize that I would not likely know what hit me if it had jumped me.  I heard absolutely nothing before it landed in the logging road. 

squatchy

You will find that you won't get to many researchers posting on this thread, from what i have read there aren't many researchers on the forum

There are plenty of armchair enthusiasts, but as for people with feet on the ground, doing the hard yards, there aren't many

I am a researcher in Australia, I started putting some evidence on this forum, but was told that its a bigfoot only forum by a few members and weren't interested in what i had in Australia

So i don't bother sharing what i have, as for the genuine researchers in the USA, they proably have evidence, but just don't want to share it on a public forum to be ridiculed

I get that. I posted a photo of a footprint I found, part of a trackway. Whoever made the track had never worn shoes, which should be a pretty big flag that something not human is up. But still I got taken to task, although FWIW, only by one person. But it was not fun. Link:

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/41702-footprint-in-minnesota/?hl=%2Bfootprint+%2Bminnesota

Like Norsemen said, how often to elk and deer just lay down out of sight when you encounter them?.    A couple of times I have heard the movement typical of elk or deer moving through the underbrush then when I go into the thicket to investigate they make no more noise.     Since I never see what made the noise in the first place I cannot be sure what I encountered.     BF seem to have two modes of travel from my experience.     Full on stomp through the woods making good time, breaking dry brush etc as they go like a two footed tank and the second mode is nearly total silence moving tree to tree with an occasional deep soft footed thud.   The adult male is so heavy it they make a long step even a quiet footfall can result in a thud right at the bottom frequency limit of my hearing.    They seem to be able to carefully select where they put their feet down to avoid breaking dry wood.    I often try this and it is difficult to do.   They must practice it a lot.       SInce their first noisy travel mode is rare and likely only used when they assume no humans are around,   I have since tuned into the second mode listening for those deep thuds.  

I suppose that an adult bear of good size could make the thuds too, so I assume it is either one or the other when I start hearing it.   So far the bears take off when they get a good look at me.    The only one that did not, was one that was around my camp one night in New Mexico.  I heard it thudding around so I started banging pans,  started a backpack camp stove, and it was still moving  around the camp with an occasional growl thrown in.    To this day I wonder if it was a bear because I heard what sounded like rocks splashing in the creek.   That night, I assumed it was the bear on the opposite bank dislodging rocks that rolled into the creek.   But the next day realized that there was not enough embankment for rocks to roll down and make a splash.    Additionally there were no rocks along the bank.    For many years I assumed that was a bear.     If it was throwing rocks into the creek it was not a bear.

Many animals make noise when they aren't alarmed or feel safe. But the moment they feel a threat they can go silent. Usually if elk go silent they are just standing still watching you. But if they spook again you'll hear them moving. It always amazes me how elk can step on so many branches.

The area where we heard the knocks may as well have been a parking lot with light poles in it, that's how wide open it was. Except for that one tree wide screen of small trees between us.

Also I wanted to mention that both deer and elk stomp their feet when startled. It comes across as thuds in the forest. The only time I've heard black bears make that noise is if they are flipping rocks over in dirt looking for ants.

squatchy

You will find that you won't get to many researchers posting on this thread, from what i have read there aren't many researchers on the forum

There are plenty of armchair enthusiasts, but as for people with feet on the ground, doing the hard yards, there aren't many

I am a researcher in Australia, I started putting some evidence on this forum, but was told that its a bigfoot only forum by a few members and weren't interested in what i had in Australia

So i don't bother sharing what i have, as for the genuine researchers in the USA, they proably have evidence, but just don't want to share it on a public forum to be ridiculed

I get that. I posted a photo of a footprint I found, part of a trackway. Whoever made the track had never worn shoes, which should be a pretty big flag that something not human is up. But still I got taken to task, although FWIW, only by one person. But it was not fun. Link:

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/41702-footprint-in-minnesota/?hl=%2Bfootprint+%2Bminnesota

Thanks for sharing the link. Internet trolls are world wide. Not so nice people are to be sympathized with . They are a product of low self esteem. The bright side is this individual is inactive now.