What Are The Percentages?

Old Dog

^^ I dont think those are that far off.  I'm of the opinion that they are of a small population that migrates.  

I think there are probably more BFs misidentified as bears, rottweilers, cows, or stumps, than animals misidentified as BFs.

• Upvote 3

Admin

What is your best estimate as to how many BF sightings are misidentifications?  How many are hoaxes?

Your question needs to be more specific...

Are we talking documented sightings or hearsay?

If documented, Class A, B or both?

BTW, Redbone and BobbyO are the ones to ask, they've read in detail and classified hundreds of reports.

Edited by gigantor

What is your best estimate as to how many BF sightings are misidentifications?  How many are hoaxes?

Hoaxes -- less than 5% of the published reports.    Most hoaxes are so unsubtle as to be easily detected and scoured from the data before publication. 

Misidentification ... I'd guess the ratio is about 3:1 favoring people writing off a legitimate bigfoot sighting or "sounding" as common critter compared to someone mistaking a common thing for bigfoot.    Average run of the mill people don't want to deal with bigfoot, don't want to think about them, don't want the ridicule that comes with a report, so no matter how real what they saw or heard was, they sweep it under the mental carpet and move on as if it didn't happen.   There are some percentage of people seeing attention or with bigfoot on the brain so bad they can't think straight, but those, while "noisy", are considerably fewer in number than you'd think proportional to the fuss they make.

MIB

Another curious percentage would be, "How may folks actually see a BF, and never speak of it, versus those who do speak of it?"

• Upvote 1

Admin

^^^ the problem with that is that it is impossible know "how many folks actually see a BF and never speak of it".

It's an unsolvable problem.  So you throw those out, as interesting as they may be, and focus on the rest.

Edited by gigantor

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

How many folks actually think it is Bigfoot when it ain't and it is reported.

Probably a lot lower than those that see Bigfoot actual and don't report it

So the unknown unknowns are trumping the known knowns and so it goes.

Guest OntarioSquatch

A lot of experiences go unreported and only a small fraction of reports are made public by the BFRO. I don't know what the percentage is for unreported experiences, but right now I suspect it's big. 

Guest OntarioSquatch

Another thing worth mentioning is that people might be coming across evidence, but aren't properly identifying it. Physical signs or a brief visual sighting can be incorrectly attributed to something other than Sasquatch. 

Misidentification 50%

When I with with the Ontario govt. I investigated cougar reports.  I was amazed how many people misidentified other animals for a cougar and specifically how many people knew nothing about wildlife or what different species looked like.

t.

• Upvote 1

Another curious percentage would be, "How may folks actually see a BF, and never speak of it, versus those who do speak of it?"

IMO, 98% keep it on the QT.

Your question needs to be more specific...

Are we talking documented sightings or hearsay?

If documented, Class A, B or both?

BTW, Redbone and BobbyO are the ones to ask, they've read in detail and classified hundreds of reports.

I thought the term "sightings" was fairly self explanatory.  What's you're guess of overall sighting misidentifications, not sounds, not prints, just sightings?

How many folks actually think it is Bigfoot when it ain't and it is reported.

Probably a lot lower than those that see Bigfoot actual and don't report it

So the unknown unknowns are trumping the known knowns and so it goes.

Whether it is reported or not, it is a sighting.  I think you, and others here, are complicating it a bit too much.  I'm asking about sightings in general, reported or not.  Just kind of a general idea of how many overall are misidentified as a Sasquatch.  My guess is about 80% are misidentified.  What's your guess?