A New Method For Tracking Bigfoot?

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Kinda like putting your ear on the railroad tracks to hear the train a coming.

Just get a nice flir. You will have more fun and save a lot of money.

I very much appreciate the out-of-the-box thinking on the opening posting. In practicality, it may be difficult to put into action.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Flir cannot track and intercept communications or input a signal.

This would take a lot of development and testing time but I doubt the expense would be too massive.

The best option for actually observing, tracking, and locating a Bigfoot  over time at the lowest cost.

Of course the assumption is that it would work as intended.

The negatives are getting anyone to do it, implementing a sensor system, whether it would work in up mountain terrains.

I suppose a mic network suspended in trees looking for whistles might be another direction.

Whistling is good for communication over large distances, especially in canyons, and is very directional as low frequency generalizes location but high frequency is highly specific.

And whistles since howls often seen to have a high propensity for mis identifiation (many things howl) 

Perhaps instead of blasting howl tapes Bigfooters could have random not too loud whistles at irregular intervals from multiple randomly distributed locations to pique the interest of Bigfoot?

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

BFF Patron

My idea is...

Elephants can communicate over vast distances using infra-sound.

They can use the rumbling in the ground to locate each other.

Their foot is the receiver they use to sense the infra-sound output from the ground.

Bigfoot also has a big foot and is thought to use infra sound so perhaps that big foot is also a receiver they use to locate each other.

It seems that locating each other for mating or socializing might be hard to do for rare animals with huge home ranges. (or even warning off intruding males and creating sonic territorial markers).

Perhaps what is needed to track a Bigfoot from a distance is the method they themselves may use.

A receiver that can pick up infra-sound from the ground and amplify, record, or output to a computer.

With a minimum of three infra sound ground listening receivers positioned at strategic location it may be possible to triangulate movements of Bigfoot at large distances.

This would be very handy as they are so skittish, so doing a standoff tracking of movements could tell you a lot and provide a wealth of science and location based data. 

It is their own method perhaps? and how they can communicate so as to avoid people.

Interpreting the signal might provide some type of rudimentary language (communications protocol) as well.

It may be since they are so hard to find they have evolved with tree knocks, infra- sound, and whoops and whistles to locate each other over distance while staying below the horizon of awareness for man to intercept and track, providing them with acoustical "covers".

Anyone want to give this a try? We could developed, test and build a proof of concept receiver.

copyright LDP

There is no need to develop a detector for infrasound.    You can buy them off the shelf.  .    The problem being is that they are not very portable, or at least the one I have is very portable.      The electronics are not bad but it requires a detector array.        So you have to deploy them in an active BF area.    Finding that active area is the challenge.    Any sort of sensitive seismic detector could be used to track BF movement in an area.     Writing software to make sense of what a detector array could tell you requires some programming talent.    When BF move and are not in their extreme stealth mode they make audible thumps right at the bottom range of human hearing.       Those thumps are my principal way to know one is moving about near me.   Forcing them to move to avoid you seeing them is fairly easy to do if you are brave enough to move towards something that will scare you when you see it.    When I did that, I got growled at, after forcing it to move away several times.    Probably provoking one like that is not the best idea.  Corner most any animal is pretty dangerous.    

You mention BF possibly using infrasound as means of communication.       When I was zapped I noticed on the sound graphics track had several unexplained single pulses of infrasound which lasted for several minutes after I was zapped.       It was almost like sonar was being used.     That did not make sense at the time because whatever zapped me,   had to know right where I was.      The only explanation I can think of is that those single sonar like pulses were some sort of communication with distant BF.    It could have been some sort of distress signal or BF SOS.   

Since finding them in the woods is the biggest problem I have wondered if some sort of long wave radar might work.     Such personnel detecting radar is use by the military around sensitive installations.      If you think BF is down in a valley or hanging out on a ridge line that sort of system might detect movement.   Of course it would not be good enough to tell the difference between a deer and a BF.  I think most such systems use some sort of doppler effect to detect movement.   

Any of these methods require technical expertise that most bigfoot researchers do not have.     Not having that, means you need money to hire it done.   Technology is always the most expensive solution to any problem to be solved.  

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

No doubt as the science would have been exploited.

I'm more interested in tuning to the problem at hand.

Signals and traffic analysis of movement withing a grid network of sensors with digital output to computer over WiFi or satellite networks for real time remote access and perhaps with rebroadcasting over the network or to a sensor.

So the problem is mult dimensional, programming logic, network, receiver, electronics, financing and research and development.

The only reason to do it, besides curiosity, is it presents a potential better solution for real-time location and grid tracking in remote areas without line of sight and at a relatively low cost compared to what you would need to provide by another method such as Arial surveillance or camera networks.

Without giving of IR you would not be alerting Bigfoot to intrusion and without maintaining a physical presence you would not be driving them out of the area and you would not have the task of hiking deep into remote areas and all that that entails.

A nice passive solution, if you place along lines of travel it may even produce better than a grid.

I guess a good test case would be shelling out for the Vietnam era surplus and seeing how that works.

Unfortunately I am not near what I would consider any promising Bigfoot areas, so I can't test on a real target.

I like the infrasound idea if it could be done with a receiver at a distance. As you said less intrusion into an area. However, the seismic sensors of the Vietnam Era you mentioned are no better than trailcams and must be placed on location to be of any use. Unless you are saying... Once placed then no further intrusion necessary.

Now if there was a durable transceiver unit that could be seeded into an area from the air. Then we're talking!

My idea is...

Elephants can communicate over vast distances using infra-sound.

They can use the rumbling in the ground to locate each other.

Their foot is the receiver they use to sense the infra-sound output from the ground.

Bigfoot also has a big foot and is thought to use infra sound so perhaps that big foot is also a receiver they use to locate each other.

It seems that locating each other for mating or socializing might be hard to do for rare animals with huge home ranges. (or even warning off intruding males and creating sonic territorial markers).

Perhaps what is needed to track a Bigfoot from a distance is the method they themselves may use.

A receiver that can pick up infra-sound from the ground and amplify, record, or output to a computer.

With a minimum of three infra sound ground listening receivers positioned at strategic location it may be possible to triangulate movements of Bigfoot at large distances.

This would be very handy as they are so skittish, so doing a standoff tracking of movements could tell you a lot and provide a wealth of science and location based data.

It is their own method perhaps? and how they can communicate so as to avoid people.

Interpreting the signal might provide some type of rudimentary language (communications protocol) as well.

It may be since they are so hard to find they have evolved with tree knocks, infra- sound, and whoops and whistles to locate each other over distance while staying below the horizon of awareness for man to intercept and track, providing them with acoustical "covers".

Anyone want to give this a try? We could developed, test and build a proof of concept receiver.

copyright LDP

There is no need to develop a detector for infrasound. You can buy them off the shelf. . The problem being is that they are not very portable, or at least the one I have is very portable. The electronics are not bad but it requires a detector array. So you have to deploy them in an active BF area. Finding that active area is the challenge. Any sort of sensitive seismic detector could be used to track BF movement in an area. Writing software to make sense of what a detector array could tell you requires some programming talent. When BF move and are not in their extreme stealth mode they make audible thumps right at the bottom range of human hearing. Those thumps are my principal way to know one is moving about near me. Forcing them to move to avoid you seeing them is fairly easy to do if you are brave enough to move towards something that will scare you when you see it. When I did that, I got growled at, after forcing it to move away several times. Probably provoking one like that is not the best idea. Corner most any animal is pretty dangerous.

You mention BF possibly using infrasound as means of communication. When I was zapped I noticed on the sound graphics track had several unexplained single pulses of infrasound which lasted for several minutes after I was zapped. It was almost like sonar was being used. That did not make sense at the time because whatever zapped me, had to know right where I was. The only explanation I can think of is that those single sonar like pulses were some sort of communication with distant BF. It could have been some sort of distress signal or BF SOS.

Since finding them in the woods is the biggest problem I have wondered if some sort of long wave radar might work. Such personnel detecting radar is use by the military around sensitive installations. If you think BF is down in a valley or hanging out on a ridge line that sort of system might detect movement. Of course it would not be good enough to tell the difference between a deer and a BF. I think most such systems use some sort of doppler effect to detect movement.

Any of these methods require technical expertise that most bigfoot researchers do not have. Not having that, means you need money to hire it done. Technology is always the most expensive solution to any problem to be solved.

Do you have an unaltered copy of this audio you speak of showing what you think is some kind of sonic pulse on the graph that I could listen to?

Edited by TritonTr196

Infrasound is really interesting. Lots of animals use it. I think it is the next frontier in researching Biggie and how they use. Could be a major reason why they are so elusive and could also explain their stealth.

Anyone know if apes or gorillas use it?

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Infrasound is really interesting. Lots of animals use it. I think it is the next frontier in researching Biggie and how they use. Could be a major reason why they are so elusive and could also explain their stealth.

Anyone know if apes or gorillas use it?

I thought that I read that Gorillas do but when I search the internet for the article I find nada.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I like the infrasound idea if it could be done with a receiver at a distance. As you said less intrusion into an area. However, the seismic sensors of the Vietnam Era you mentioned are no better than trailcams and must be placed on location to be of any use. Unless you are saying... Once placed then no further intrusion necessary.

Now if there was a durable transceiver unit that could be seeded into an area from the air. Then we're talking!

Seeding from the air, or how about floating on a hydrogen platform (tethered)?

Would have to survive impact, implant in soil, and remain upright to broadcast from an antenna.

Insect robot drone (or natural flight bird drone) when we get them in the civilian markets.

BFF Patron

Certainly seeding small radio transmitters from the air is possible.     If they land in trees and get snagged in the trees all the better.    But now we are talking about lots of money spent on something that is not recoverable.   But with audio gear how do you tell the difference between a hiker and a BF walking past?     I guess if you get some ape like gibberish you might figure it is BF.   

Tying infrasound to BF is nearly as difficult as proving existence.        You need to have a BF in sight, be able to prove it is not some guy in a costume,  then provoke the BF into using infrasound, while having a recorder capable of recording it to link the two.     All of that is a very tall order.    A more likely scenario would be to prove existence, capture a BF, then provoke it into using infrasound.   If they use it as a weapon then provoking a BF might go along with the capture.  Quite frankly at very close range I think BF use of infrasound has the potential to be debilitating and possibly lethal for the humans involved in capturing a BF.   

If these were seeded from the air and could provide their position by means of a Position Locating and Reporting System (PLRS) function upon query, then they could be programmed to transmit only when detecting infrasound vibrations.  Using a PLRS function rather than GPS, their power requirement would be less and they could provide data for longer before their batteries run down.

The PLRS function would provide position, direction of travel, and speed of whatever is producing the sound and this could be distinguished from seismic activity based on behavior.

But what is the end game for these sensors? Obviously we are not calling in artillery in a free fire zone.

How are they going to prove this creatures existence?