Huckleberries

hiflier

Sasfooty, what a crack up! I'm still laughing. BUT!...... well, I was going to say stranger things have happened but I seriously doubt that now that I think about it.

I just read that huckleberries can make up as much as 15% of a bear's diet. That's a lot of berries. Whether a bear would risk intruding on a crop with Sasquatch around or vice versa is something to consider as well. If the builders are as numerous as the nest-like structures I doubt bears would be inclined to approach and the builders even less likely to share.

Hiflier, I enjoy eating the huckleberries in the fall where we hunt. Which is above 3000' elevation. What I have seen about them is the season varies year to year depending on snowmelt and rainfall. What I have seen here in the western PNW is the blue huckleberry grows in the higher elevations. The red ones in the lower and the evergreens closer to the coast. They all seem to grow taller in shady areas than in direct sunlight. They are also one of the few bushes that grow under mature trees; along with salmon berries which are thorny. I don't remember from the podcast what the general age of the forest cover was. But if it was larger trees then the huckleberry may have been the best available plant for nest building. I know the RMSO have found a possible bed of fir boughs. I have seen in lower elevations where sword fern were broken off or uprooted and stacked. However none of this was in the large numbers of nests like the Olympic Project have found. My point is that it may be as simple as what is available in any given area. If the fir boughs are 20 feet or more off the ground then it would definitely be easier to use something more available at ground level. Say a matter of convenience.

As to nest building behavior. Bears don't exhibit it. Large birds such as eagles, osprey or ravens and crows pick up what is loose to build nests with. They don't rip bushes up to obtain building materials.

• Upvote 1

Thank you BTW. Good info. I think DR said the area hadn't been logged for 50 years or better.

SSR Team

I have wondered what BF themselves call the places where they bed down.    You seem to not like the term nest.   Quite frankly I don't like the term either but what we think are their bedding sites sure look like a nest.     Perhaps you could check into that and see what you come up with?

I had a long discussion with one of my "friends" about this, but still don't know why they do it. She wouldn't believe it at first & commented that it is "crazy". I asked if she could talk to somebody in the PNW to confirm that it's true.

Whoever she's talking to about it up there says that they have seen them, but had not thought it was their people doing it. I think the consensus is that it's "something else" that's making them. They say it may just be one insane one that's doing it, if in fact it is one of them.

I asked if it could be sentries doing it & she said "NO. A sentry would never do that."

I've had to read that three times and I'll admit, you've lost me completely.

What "friend" are you talking about here ?

If boy scouts had made them, they wouldn't be called nests.

Shelter if it's covered or bed if it's not.

Maybe this will help Sasfooty  with the rest of them a Nest by Definition is:

nest

/nest/

noun

noun: nest; plural noun: nests

a structure or place made or chosen by a bird for laying eggs and sheltering its young.

synonyms: roost, aerie

"the birds built a nest"

•a place where an animal or insect breeds or shelters.

"an ants' nest"

synonyms: lair, den, burrow

"the animals disperse rapidly from the nest"

•a person's snug or secluded retreat or shelter.

synonyms: hideaway, hideout, retreat, shelter, refuge, den

"a cozy love nest"

•a bowl-shaped object likened to a bird's nest.

"arrange in nests of lettuce leaves"

•a place filled with or frequented by undesirable people or things.

"a nest of spies"

synonyms: hotbed, den, breeding ground, cradle

"a nest of intrigue"

a set of similar objects of graduated sizes, made so that each smaller one fits into the next in size for storage.

"a nest of tables"

verb

verb: nest; 3rd person present: nests; past tense: nested; past participle: nested; gerund or present participle: nesting

(of a bird or other animal) use or build a nest.

"the owls often nest in barns"

fit (an object or objects) inside a larger one.

"the town is nested inside a large crater on the flanks of a volcano"

These guys are not birds, so they will find shelter or make bedding to lay on.  It all depends on how beg this nest is, which could have been made by a bird. A large bird, but a bird. Even if it is in a tree, why not put a trail cam next to the nest and see what lays there and retrieve it later. Makes no sense to speculate on what has been found unless they know for sure with out a shadow of doubt. Anything that has to live in a tree means that it is fear full of some thing on the ground. 

Believe me If I could sleep in a tree in a hammock while these creatures are below me I would. I would feel safer and more secure if I could, but then this is just my opinion. Photo's of said nest would be cool though, and to have to wait for the info at these bigfoot conferences well that's just bad joo joo .  

Storks make giant nest too and you should see them, in fact here are some pictures of them:

post-482-0-82414100-1463786638_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-71210900-1463786661_thumb.jpg

I have wondered what BF themselves call the places where they bed down.    You seem to not like the term nest.   Quite frankly I don't like the term either but what we think are their bedding sites sure look like a nest.     Perhaps you could check into that and see what you come up with?

I had a long discussion with one of my "friends" about this, but still don't know why they do it. She wouldn't believe it at first & commented that it is "crazy". I asked if she could talk to somebody in the PNW to confirm that it's true.

Whoever she's talking to about it up there says that they have seen them, but had not thought it was their people doing it. I think the consensus is that it's "something else" that's making them. They say it may just be one insane one that's doing it, if in fact it is one of them.

I asked if it could be sentries doing it & she said "NO. A sentry would never do that."

I've had to read that three times and I'll admit, you've lost me completely.

What "friend" are you talking about here ?

The imaginary big furry friend.....

SSR Team

Norse you should ask for a phone number then if it's managing to talk to others in the PNW.