Huckleberries

hiflier

I bet the building material for the nests is dependent on the area.

As I stated earlier, you would not be building a nest with huckleberry plants here.

But there are other plants that could be used.

I bet the building material for the nests is dependent on the area.

As I stated earlier, you would not be building a nest with huckleberry plants here.

But there are other plants that could be used.

Agreed Norseman. But that too is kind of the point. What's available in your neck of the woods is also available elsewhere. These nests didn't seem to have even a mixture of materials. And while the Huckleberry bushes might have been chosen because of convenience to the site it is still at least a curiosity to me. Apparently ALL of the nests were constructed the same way? That's a lot of plants.

My curiosity is also along the lines of whether or not these structures were used by 14 individuals or only one individual who stayed there 14 times- not necessarily consecutively. I know there's no way of knowing which but either way it's a lot of nests. There's no pitch on Huckleberry bushes so that could be a factor in the decision or knowledge to use them. The shrubs may be springier and so last longer as bedding. Breaking off only the "tops? could be that the tops are softer shoots than the stems?

It probably seems a waste of time to think much about this but since a member elsewhere mention a similar situation using Huckleberry bushes for bedding on Prince of Wales Island these questions started pouring out. So I'm just trying to get them out of my head and thought a thread might be a good way to get some heads together about it. Maybe it's nothing but it is at least a curiosity. Such an easy and abundant food supply too with a fairly long season if one can travel to take advantage of it.

Maybe bigfoot finds large patches of huckleberries for the purpose of building 'beds'. This way they only need to travel several feet to get the bedding material and don't need to wander through the forest looking for soft material. When they wake up, a berry breakfast is close by to get them energized for a good night of deer hunting.

Yeah, that's what I was sort of joking about with the snacks in bed thing :) It would appear that the location of the structures as an overlook or as a defense from predators coming from below the site is a factor. So would this mean the presence of Huckleberries was just happenstance with the position of the site being the most important? I think so but it still doesn't answer the question of choice in materials.

BTW I've been hard at researching a timeline chart for when Huckleberry bushes bear fruit. I would think several factors might be at play of course as mentioned. That being elevation, type, time of year, and region. Like a 3D chart or graph of sorts as overlaps will undoubtedly be necessary. I found this which may illustrate the idea and perhaps satisfy the food list Cryptic Megafauna posted. Personally I think the chart need altering. Why does stuff like this come across so out of order? I mean check it out- is there a sensible reason why the information isn't in proper chronological order? Maybe someone could PUT it in proper order. It's for Yellowstone NP:

post-23182-0-73313800-1463757859_thumb.g

I have wondered what BF themselves call the places where they bed down.    You seem to not like the term nest.   Quite frankly I don't like the term either but what we think are their bedding sites sure look like a nest.     Perhaps you could check into that and see what you come up with?  

I had a long discussion with one of my "friends" about this, but still don't know why they do it. She wouldn't believe it at first & commented that it is "crazy". I asked if she could talk to somebody in the PNW to confirm that it's true.

Whoever she's talking to about it up there says that they have seen them, but had not thought it was their people doing it. I think the consensus is that it's "something else" that's making them. They say it may just be one insane one that's doing it, if in fact it is one of them.

I asked if it could be sentries doing it & she said "NO. A sentry would never do that."

Sasfooty, the only "something else" has to be Human then. Grabbing branches and forming this kind of structure does point to "something" large- with hands. Birds don't have hands but can construct nests that are quite strong and elaborate but this....this is different. OK no pun intended here but I'm going to go out on a limb here: ask your "friend" to ask her friends about just who has been in that area. There had to be something noticed coming and going.

(Oh the Forum is going to love me for this one ;) )

Edited by hiflier

Well, you can get used to being "loved" after awhile. It'll be OK.

Hang on a minute until I get through laughing.................................

OK. I told her that you want to know who has been in that area, so she asked & nobody had seen anybody except hairless people, but they're pretty sure that our people wouldn't have done it...."although some of your kind are pretty crazy".

So I said, "Well, if yours didn't do it & ours didn't do it....who did?" She said "Probably, Creatures". I asked what kind of creatures & she said "You know! CREATURES!"

Thank you for asking. And tell everyone to keep an eye out for...er..."creatures" please. Uh, I hope the Huckleberry season is plentiful.

(Can't believe I'm doing this) **runs out of the room screaming**)

Edited by hiflier

*rolls eyes*

Anyhoo back from never never land.

Im pretty stoked about this find, and its implications. To find something that looks like a Gorilla nest in north America? Pretty cool.

BFF Patron

This exchange had me chuckling and wondering at the same time.   OK let me rehash it and see if I got it right.     A creature who people claim does not exist, is telling us, that other unknown to it entities (creatures)  are making huge nests.   Perhaps the problem is that BF considers nests sissy and will not admit to making or using them?    Well looking at it all with an open mind,  certainly if one unknown cryptid exists, why not two or even more?     I just hope these new creatures are not more dangerous than the ones we know about.    I just had a mental image of the Jameson Whiskey ad where the huge bird grabs people and takes them its nest.    Who was it recently that was talking about a huge bird on the forum?         

The find IS cool! And it pretty mind blowing too. For the record blueberries grow in clusters and huckleberries grow singly on a stem in the branch/leaf axial- different taxonomy. The Eastern hucks and western hucks are also two different species of plants. But it makes little difference in the bigger scheme of things. Still looking for a good chart on the growing regions and seasonal data regarding times of fruiting. In a way knowing that can pinpoint the time the nest material was harvested as to whether it was pre-berry, post-berry or something in between. I think Randles mentioned the nests might be a year old? If that's the case then there may not be much left to narrow down the time. I need to go back and review the podcast but I thought that he was eluding to a June construction period?

That would be before berry season which places the individual(s) at the site in time to take advantage of a large crop of berries in July-August. So Norseman, if they are sloppy eaters then the Flying Purple People Eater you speak of may be steeped in legend LOL- except for the flying part that is. Unless Sasfooty's "friend" knows something she's not telling ;) 

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Yeah, that's what I was sort of joking about with the snacks in bed thing :) It would appear that the location of the structures as an overlook or as a defense from predators coming from below the site is a factor. So would this mean the presence of Huckleberries was just happenstance with the position of the site being the most important? I think so but it still doesn't answer the question of choice in materials.

BTW I've been hard at researching a timeline chart for when Huckleberry bushes bear fruit. I would think several factors might be at play of course as mentioned. That being elevation, type, time of year, and region. Like a 3D chart or graph of sorts as overlaps will undoubtedly be necessary. I found this which may illustrate the idea and perhaps satisfy the food list Cryptic Megafauna posted. Personally I think the chart need altering. Why does stuff like this come across so out of order? I mean check it out- is there a sensible reason why the information isn't in proper chronological order? Maybe someone could PUT it in proper order. It's for Yellowstone NP:

attachicon.gifBear-Food_Yellowstone NPS_800.gif

Yellowstone base elevation is 8000 feet I believe, which means the times are probably much later than most of the country.

That would be before berry season which places the individual(s) at the site in time to take advantage of a large crop of berries in July-August. So Norseman, if they are sloppy eaters then the Flying Purple People Eater you speak of may be steeped in legend LOL- except for the flying part that is. Unless Sasfooty's "friend" knows something she's not telling ;)

Yeah, that's probably why he's purple.

And it would also explain the "nest". :)