Utah Sasquatch Research

Explorer

Here is an interesting video posted by Nathan Reo, a sasquatch researcher from Utah.

Location is not disclosed but probably the mountain range east of Orem/Provo.

The video includes footprints, stick structures, whoops/growls, etc.  He claims he was surrounded by 3 of these creatures and films one near the end (although I could not see it on the video).

The video is certainly intriguing and worth a look.

Kudos to this young man for doing all this field research and documenting/sharing his experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvosP1lY0I

He certainly is passionate and fearless about his research.

Hope his research does not negatively affect his work/family life and that he can find the answers he is looking for.

Coincidentally, I found that video this am and have made it a third of the way through. I would guess a group of primitive skills folks built all the lean-to type structures but the prints look good so far. It's interesting. I'll continue on with it as time allows. He does seem passionately engaged in the search.

Lots of whoops, guttural sounds, grunts, and odd shouts from 28 min to 32 min.

Very interesting.

Not sure if I would stick around if surrounded by unknown creatures making those weird guttural sounds. 

Although, there does not appear to be any threatening sounds or charges.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

When hiking I find all types of survivalist structures, homeless, etc.

So my first thought when looking at a pile of shelter material is not "Squatch!"

And as far as pile of random deadfall no matter how interesting, Puh-lease!

There are a ton of vocalizations, wood knocks, etc.  It's either someone hoaxing or there is some kind of ape like sounding animal in the woods.  I never saw anything on the video when the guy claimed he could see them (he claimed this twice), but you could certainly clearly hear all the sounds being made.  The rest of it - the tree structures, etc - can't say they are convincing to me.  There definitely were clear footprints he found, and they looked realistic, but those could be hoaxed too IMO.  Doesn't mean they were, but they could have been.  It was the hoots, clacking and sounds that were happening for much of the video that are the #1 thing to consider IMO.

Guest Crowlogic

Sorry kids I don't buy this silliness.  Correct me if I'm wrong but why all of a sudden does every bigfooter out with a camera suddenly find wood structures?  Why didn't we find them 40 years ago. or 10 years ago?  I think I know why.  It's a bit difficult to make a good monkey suit video and for obvious reasons it's impossible to actually film bigfoot.  So you do the next best thing.  You make things and say that biggie made them.  I spent a couple of thousand hours deep in the wood in upper NY State and never saw any wood structures.  But do an internet search and you'll find them there now.  What does that tell you?  Did biggie suddenly acquire building skills?  Was there an evolutionary leap?  Or are "researchers" selling us a new type of cool aid?  I'm going with the cool aid, it's summer after all........

News flash: the scoffing denialist "doesn't buy this silliness".   Wow, I'm shocked and amazed.   

Y' know what?   I, too, have spent thousands of hours in the woods and I haven't seen them either.   Doesn't mean they're not there.    I've only seen tree arrangements (X-s, "braiding") once each in those same hours.  I haven't made it back to the "scene of the X" but the "braids" were gone when I returned the next day.   All that can be said is "hmmmm".   If it is regional behavior rather than universal for the species ... well, the number hours you spent searching are totally irrelevant if you were digging through the wrong haystack.  

MIB

• Upvote 2

Guest Crowlogic

^Well somebody has to introduce a dose of reality into the show, it might as well be me.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Biggie may build structures but most online are fantasy.

The one convincing one that I can't find on Youtube now from some conference or other

was unlike something a person would build but was distinctly not just blow down.

It was in a very remote part of the PNW and could shelter from wind or rain.

The difference between that and the crazy stuff you see all the time is the material used in the complex shelter where broke off by radial twists.

This shows as spiral fractures that radiate outward. No person is strong enough to twist off large saplings.

Some blow downs have spiral fractures, but if you see many used on an actual shelter structure, and in a very remote area you can begin to speculate.

Some of the structures include trunks that have been moved quite a distance from their remaining ground-bound root-ball.   That's interesting if there are no signs of general wind damage in the area.   

The shelters are a different thing.   I found one that puzzles me.    There's a fairly tall stump  with a giant mound of branches stacked over it.   Around the base of the stump, under the branches, is a fairly decent sized open space.    The branches are all broken off, not sawed, and they range up to 4 inches in diameter.    And yet, it's barely off the side of a seldom traveled but decent graveled road.  Plenty of "logic" to argue in both directions and nothing conclusive in either.    It's just another item for the "hmmmm" bucket.

I've found two twists.   I'm not concluding anything but they are very intriguing.    They're about a quarter mile apart.   No others in the area.   Because they're short trees, maybe 10 feet or less, surrounded by tall trees, wind is unlikely else the bigger, more exposed trees would be damaged.   It doesn't look right for snow load.   A friend of mine, used to be known here as Ace!, found something he described in a similar manner which, without seeing it, I guessed to be elk.    What I found was not, the trunks lack the damage antlers do before the tree breaks.    There are also not supposed to be elk present and I have not seen either tracks nor "sign".   Now that I've seen these, I wish I'd gone with Ace! to examine what he found.    He hunts but he didn't grow up around elk so he might not know what to look for.

Lots of puzzles, not many answers.

But back to Utah ... there are parts of Utah that look like potential sasquatch country.  Not all of it, but some.   There's a lot that might not be "habitat" but could easily be "pass through" routes.   It's not really a place I'd go to look for them but if I lived there I sure would look hard.   It's possible the more limited "habitat" areas and corridors between the might make it an easier place that the Pacific NW where it's just one big dang haystack and the needles can go anywhere, any direction, any time.    Being able to focus on a smaller area has some benefits.

MIB

BFF Patron

I have not seen the nest structures in my area but have seen structures which served to block a game trail.        Suspect ambush site but nothing definitive with that.     Something or someone put the structures together as it was not a natural formation.    Admittedly a deer hunter could do such a thing also.      I also do not see twist offs which some claim are sure evidence of BF in the area.      I think some of this might be regional and only done by BF in a certain area.       Since they do not mean much to us they might have meaning for the BF that do it. 

As far as Utah,  if they are there they should be easy to find.    The intermountain West the woods are not nearly as dense and perhaps even an air search might find what is out there.     BF there would have to rely on remoteness to avoid being seen.   

I haven't watched the video, but if the silhouette in the screen grab for the video is supposed to be a squatch, the proportions are human, not squatch.

I've seen shelter structures in out of the way places ever since I was old enough to notice them back in the late '60s, so they've been around all along.  It's just that people have actually started looking for them now.  No mystery about why everyone and their brother is now reporting them.

I've seen both standing and disassembled structures.  The reason they always stood out for me is that kids used to disappear in the areas of Northern Nevada and Northern California we frequented.  It always made me wonder who was building them, living in them, and then taking them apart in the cases of the disassembled ones.  They always made me equally nervous, considering that they were either occupied by some off the grid human or a squatch.  Usually the structures were non-permanent, sometimes just the logs and branches, sometimes with smaller branches with pine needles and leaves overlaid to cover the gaps.  It wasn't hard to tell after the second glance that they weren't natural deadfall (logs and branches from other areas).  One of the things that puzzled me to begin with was the complete lack of trash and other leavings that would indicate human occupation.  Hobos, as we used to call homeless, aren't the neatest people.

With regard to the stump inside the mound of branches you found, MIB, it was a heated shelter.  A rotting stump is like a compost pile and evolves heat, especially ones that are infested with carpenter ants (snacks).  You build a mound of branches over it and you can trap the heat, especially if you use a second layer of leafed branches and other vegetation to close the gaps.  Snow over that helps even more.  I've been telling people for a while that bigfoot likely use compost heating, or midden heating, during colder months.  The middens reek.  The squatch reek because they sleep in reeking shelters. 

The BFRO website a couple of years ago had an investigation of a whole bunch of decomposing stumps they found and thought had some relationship to squatch.  I don't know if they ever thought of the compost heating angle.

• Upvote 1

Those ground structures are nothing more then hunters ground blinds ,  I have used them in the past and can get photo's of them here in Michigan if you like. The same goes with those sleeping structures where a hunter will stay so that they do not have to keep hunting in and out for game. So it make all good sense to me that they would all be close together. The dogs reactions is a good indicator of what is there, If these creatures were there these dogs would not go near those shelters. If creatures were around these dogs would not be wondering far from it's owner. You would see their tails tuck between their legs  and even closer to their owner. So I see this person as reaching for conclusions as being as bigfoot. 

The prints could be bear, but they are not clear enough to identify.  Unless you are actually there on site to track then these prints can be anything. The knocks are interesting as well as the noises and who knows he might of been in contact with some thing. But the dogs did not indicate anything and this is what I was observing. In my own opinion.

Crow is right and has the right to be the devil advocate on this one and I agree with him. This is a healthy view point of a skeptical  that we should all have.

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

Sorry kids I don't buy this silliness.  ..

Of course you don't, we all knew that before you wrote it.

• Upvote 3

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

I have not seen the nest structures in my area but have seen structures which served to block a game trail.        Suspect ambush site but nothing definitive with that.     Something or someone put the structures together as it was not a natural formation.    Admittedly a deer hunter could do such a thing also.      I also do not see twist offs which some claim are sure evidence of BF in the area.      I think some of this might be regional and only done by BF in a certain area.       Since they do not mean much to us they might have meaning for the BF that do it. 

As far as Utah,  if they are there they should be easy to find.    The intermountain West the woods are not nearly as dense and perhaps even an air search might find what is out there.     BF there would have to rely on remoteness to avoid being seen.   

You could simply look at spy satellite imagery if you can find any (more companies are selling imagery with higher resolution these days) I think a helicopter which has relatively low rotor noise with a flir system and a pan and zoom telescopic setup recording to a hard drive might be a good way to survey at a relatively low cost. You could hover at dusk over high mountain valleys with remote ponds with no public access and stay for a few hours at a time. If you find something you could rappel or parachute in a team to further survey the area. If you had a dart gun you might even get lucky and be able to get DNA and take measurements.