Utah Sasquatch Research

Explorer

Frauds come and go and this is no doubt one of them.  The thing that's interesting to me is that grown, supposedly educated people will believe it and even go as far as sending a smooth talking clown like this money.  It's unbelievable but not surprising I suppose.  Folks believe in and are ripped off by scams, cults and preachers every day and always will be.

t.

• Upvote 3

BFF Patron

That is why I wanted to meet the guy before giving him a dime.      It's the ones that want to raise money that usually have a scam going.     I had Youtube videos that I pulled also.     Since 75% of the stuff posted on Youtube is obvious hoax or satire, I did not what to be in that crowd and take the verbal abuse you get from watchers.   Actually some of the satirical stuff is pretty funny.     

jayjeti,

You use the word "definitely" where I likely would not. I suspect our differences regarding what constitutes scientific evidence and proof would differ as well.

Not having seen a Sasquatch personally, I can only evaluate the material online from the perspective it provides. So far, I've seen nothing that rejects the null hypothesis that there is no zoological Sasquatch. Indeed, despite its many promoters and believers, Sasquatch is not recognized by "science" for precisely the same reason - a lack of good evidence.

I remain open to the possibility however and find it an interesting thing to think about. But folks like Utah Sasquatch and Impossible Visits etc. seem to not have the same level of discernment and skepticism I do. Having watched all of the videos posted, I saw nothing that would convince me and much of it seemed foolhardy to be frank. I won't say it's a hoax, just that I disagree with the conclusions reached by these videos. I also disagree with several of the anti-science/anti-evidence promoted by these folks. I think they do the entire community a disservice and of course this doesn't help with science literacy in this country.

I do think the NAWAC is doing a much better job. While they have no come up with anything solid yet, they are at least aware of the fact that nobody ELSE should conclude Sasquatches exist based on the evidence they've collected this far. They agree to the basic ground rules of science and are not at all surprised that other people require them to provide DNA or a type specimen. That counts for a lot in my book because without and agreement on what actually comprises the scientific method, we get nowhere. It's a good system and it's moved humanity from the horse and buggy to CERN discovering the Higgs in well under 100 years.

Proving that Sasquatches exist is not an impossible task - if there really is such a creature.

• Upvote 2

Basically the weirdos in bigfootdom came out and started messing with him and his family. I don't blame him for pulling the plug on everything.

Me neither!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blackbriar

It seems like everyone gets so upset as soon as someone else starts to report any success, I've been watching the Utah Sasquatch goings on from the side and this is the first time I've looked in here to see what the community think of it all, I'm a little disappointed with the reaction.

Labeling someone a hoaxer is one thing, no better than calling someone posting here a troll if you don't like their point of view in a post, it reflects badly on both sides, proof is needed for both sides of the argument, on reflection there isn't enough to say hoaxer beyond thinly veiled jealousy at the apparent success.

Calling someone a fraud is entirely different, it goes from name calling to an illegal act and I'm very surprised that it's been so simply overlooked, people have given money to the go find me campaign, if they feel they have been defrauded then it's for them to stand up and point fingers, not the Internet police Sasquatch department, money was given in good faith for equipment to be bought and that is what has been done.

The fact that people have been digging into this guys private life is disgusting, the Bigfoot community has no problem stalking this guy and his family, no body seems to think it's wrong or even remotely taking things to far? The same people don't have the same success at finding Bigfoot, but maybe it's too hard to find Bigfoot as he has a much smaller digital footprint, I've never found his LinkedIn page anyway.

Anyone claiming so strongly that he is a hoaxer or a fraud (slander issues aside) needs only take him up on his offer to show you in person, no hiding behind an alias and a computer, if the people throwing stones are so confident then they should reveal their own private details for the community to pick over at the same time.

I'm quite happy to send money, at the end of the day he's looking for Bigfoot, which apparently doesn't exist anyway so why get so upset?

Here is guy who claims to have gone out with Nathan to the sasquatch wallow site and confirmed what he found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG4Ywz9ftF4

Here is a guy who examined the claim that the "Monument Wallow" video had stereo sounds when none should have been present when using i-phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJpKiPyew-E

It is not clear to me if these were artifacts created during the editing/creation of final video or created by the analytical software/process used.

No doubt, Utah Sasquatch has created a lot of interest and examination of his claims.

I look forward to see his future field research and give him the benefit of the doubt.

It seems like everyone gets so upset as soon as someone else starts to report any success, I've been watching the Utah Sasquatch goings on from the side and this is the first time I've looked in here to see what the community think of it all, I'm a little disappointed with the reaction.

Labeling someone a hoaxer is one thing, no better than calling someone posting here a troll if you don't like their point of view in a post, it reflects badly on both sides, proof is needed for both sides of the argument, on reflection there isn't enough to say hoaxer beyond thinly veiled jealousy at the apparent success.

Calling someone a fraud is entirely different, it goes from name calling to an illegal act and I'm very surprised that it's been so simply overlooked, people have given money to the go find me campaign, if they feel they have been defrauded then it's for them to stand up and point fingers, not the Internet police Sasquatch department, money was given in good faith for equipment to be bought and that is what has been done.

The fact that people have been digging into this guys private life is disgusting, the Bigfoot community has no problem stalking this guy and his family, no body seems to think it's wrong or even remotely taking things to far? The same people don't have the same success at finding Bigfoot, but maybe it's too hard to find Bigfoot as he has a much smaller digital footprint, I've never found his LinkedIn page anyway.

Anyone claiming so strongly that he is a hoaxer or a fraud (slander issues aside) needs only take him up on his offer to show you in person, no hiding behind an alias and a computer, if the people throwing stones are so confident then they should reveal their own private details for the community to pick over at the same time.

I'm quite happy to send money, at the end of the day he's looking for Bigfoot, which apparently doesn't exist anyway so why get so upset?

I'm sorry that you aren't pleased by the responses here. I'm very pleased to see that critical thinking is being employed. If the fellow making the dubious claims of seeing sasquatches repeatedly is now making claims of being "stalked" and using that as a pretense for removing videos I'm going to remain skeptical.

If you are unable to understand how hoaxing harms the overall field of sasquatch research then I'm not sure how to proceed.

I've watched some of Utah's videos (the ones available on his site and maybe a few from places like the Fortean Slip) and listened to the investigators from the Fortean Slip who investigated some claims. I didn't hear anything on their podcast nor read anything on the blogs that indicated they were "stalking" so I'd like to see your evidence for making that claim. They saw Utah's claims and investigated, his background is relevant pure and simple.

If Utah has video of these people who were following him while he was out in the woods he didn't show it in the videos I've watched on his channel. If there were people parking in front of his house I didn't see his evidence of that either. But then again I don't assume everyone who walks on the same trails as I are following me, nor do I think that anyone who parks in front of my home is spying on me.

Labeling someone a hoaxer is one thing, no better than calling someone posting here a troll if you don't like their point of view in a post. . . .

That's the nature of some posting here, to label someone a hoaxer without real evidence of a hoax.  

As far as creating a "Go Fund Me" page to buy equipment, a problem with this field of amateur researchers is there is no funding.  Institutions that support mainstream science have not put any money into this field, in part I suspect because this is a taboo subject and scientists can quickly become a pariah for pursuing it.  It's a bit premature and paranoid to claim Nathan is a huckster for soliciting funds.  There are certainly hoaxers fleecing the bigfoot community, but I don't view Nathan as one.

Edited by jayjeti

^Well I promise you even if he gets 20 thermal cameras it will end the same way as it ends for every bigfooter..no bigfoot.  Nice enthusiastic scam that lad is orchestrating.

You are right.   In your mind P/G film,  not a bigfoot,   Brown video,  not a bigfoot,   Idaho falls video,  not a bigfoot.   My footprint pictures, not a bigfoot.   Anyone else's pictures, not a bigfoot.   I doubt that the Utah guy could ever come up with anything convincing on a FLIR.   Not sure I could either for that matter.      I dare say you would not believe in bigfoot until it chases you down and starts to eat you.    You notice that there is a BFRO expedition in Western New York?    Your chance to go and explain to them how they are all crazy and convert them to your cause.     

Bigfoot is never going to chase anyone anywhere.  I dare you to stand and deliver your "proof". 

Daring me to do anything is pretty humorous, when I have been within yards of a bigfoot solo.    Nothing I do other than delivering a bigfoot body to your doorstep will be your proof.    Quite frankly I could really care if you ever know the truth when if you harbor the slightest possibility they might exist, you could get your tail out in the woods of New York and find out for yourself.   That BFRO expedition might be a way to do that.    If nothing else you can have fun with the fools that actually believe in bigfoot and enjoy some nature at the same time.    I assume you believe that nature exists.     I dare you to do at least that.     You are not going to find out anything sitting in front of your computer.   

Maybe grab a shedding hair, or some hair that is pulled out against some tree bark. Use proper forensic measures and then send it to Meldrum. Be a hero. I dare you to do at least that.....

Labeling someone a hoaxer is one thing, no better than calling someone posting here a troll if you don't like their point of view in a post. . . .

That's the nature of some posting here, to label someone a hoaxer without real evidence of a hoax.  

As far as creating a "Go Fund Me" page to buy equipment, a problem with this field of amateur researchers is there is no funding.  Institutions that support mainstream science have not put any money into this field, in part I suspect because this is a taboo subject and scientists can quickly become a pariah for pursuing it.  It's a bit premature and paranoid to claim Nathan is a huckster for soliciting funds.  There are certainly hoaxers fleecing the bigfoot community, but I don't view Nathan as one.

You think he's genuine, based on? 

He's raised I think somewhere north of $5000 on his gofundme which he can use in any way he sees fit. I'm thinking there's a family of sasquatches living near me too, I'm fairly certain I can "find" some "evidence" as compelling as utah's. Look for my gofundme coming soon, I'll look forward to your donation! Thank you for your credulity!!

The fact that people have been digging into this guys private life is disgusting.

-- Yup.

the Bigfoot community has no problem stalking this guy and his family, no body seems to think it's wrong or even remotely taking things to far? 

-- TD-40 and Jayjeti seem to think it's wrong. I think it's wrong. Explorer very wisely gives Nathan the benefit of the doubt. So I think lots of people think it's wrong. It's hard to protest such awful behavior, though, without sounding awful oneself. Quite a quandry many of us find ourselves in. So, good on you, for speaking up. 

Edited by LeafTalker

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

Negative attention may be a way to promote yourself.

Make a hullabaloo and a "big story" about being persecuted and all of a sudden all eyes are on you.

This thread is a perfect example.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but I posses a sophisticated B.S. detector and have seen hucksters in action.

This guy is a car salesman, which means he is socially adept at getting people to buy into his rhetoric, need I say more.

An old guy is hard to con and I've known my share of cons.

You can con me once but you won't get a second chance.

I'm not accusing the guy of anything but from what little I saw on his channel I was not left wanting more.

He's good with face dancing and the soft and convincing tones, the plausible explanations, the quick patter with clever turns of focus and that is what worries me, too glib for his own good.

I'm just a mean ugly smart old guy so all the magic does not work so well on me, I don't charmed so easy anymore, and when someone is being charming they usually want something. 

I've already been hustled by my share of car salesmen.

As they say in the car business, no sale.

Edited by Cryptic Megafauna

Someone earlier mentioned that this guy is a filmmaker? He recently posted this on FB.  That filmmaking experience will come in handy on the documentaries he is planning.

post-18321-0-97801100-1466657487_thumb.j