Remer Minnesota, the Bigfoot Capitol

salubrious

Remer had a Bigfoot celebration this last Saturday. I found out about entirely by accident (I was in the area and since they had declared themselves to be the Bigfoot Capitol I drove over to take a look the day before). As far as I can tell, there was no online publicity.

There were representatives from two Minnesota BF research organizations, stories of Bigfoot encounters from locals and the Finding Bigfoot team was there. They had BBQ as well!

Apparently there was an encounter nearby (about 25 miles) near the town of Bena, Minnesota (by Six Mile Lake) just last Tuesday.

I was unfamiliar with Remer until you posted this.  I hope that you had a great time.  How was the turnout?

That being said, the 'Remer photograph' that I found online looks fake as hell.  I can't tell if it is a costume, or a Bigfoot mannequin.  

My grandparents had a summer home in Park Rapids, a little to the west of Remer.  Beautiful area.  Cold as hell in the winter (why it was a summer home for them only).  Lots of cover and habitat in MN though.

17 hours ago, Wendijo said:

I was unfamiliar with Remer until you posted this.  I hope that you had a great time.  How was the turnout?

That being said, the 'Remer photograph' that I found online looks fake as hell.  I can't tell if it is a costume, or a Bigfoot mannequin.  

The turnout seemed pretty good. Its not a big town at all, but seemed like several hundred turned up. 

Here are some of the Finding Bigfoot team.

FBRemer.JPG

I have never been to a gathering of Bigfoot researchers/fans/devotees.  How is the general vibe?  I guess I am wondering if the constant bickering you see online between different camps or ideologies is a problem when people physically gather.

Events are organized by people ... people with views.    Generally an organizer does not invite a presenter who is truly out of line with the organizer's views unless they are local and well known.   That's one level of maybe unintentional filtering that reduced potential conflict.    Once the presenter list and topic list are published and potential attendees see what to expect, they decide whether to go or not.    Aside from deliberate hecklers, most people only go if they feel they fit so there's another level of self-filtering.

The first event I went to was organized by a "people camp", somewhat "paranormal camp" organizer.    The worst behavior I saw was from one "big name" (Jeff Meldrum) presenter making catty remarks from the back of the room during another person's (Thom Powell) presentation.    The paying attendees behaved very civilly.    That doesn't mean it was a homogeneous woo-proponent hug-fest, I think it just meant everyone there was relieved to be surrounded temporarily by people who didn't roll their eyes in ridicule.   There were a few hecklers but they were so outnumbered they tended to make themselves fairly invisible.

I think it's worth going to at least one event, more if convenient.    I didn't learn anything about the topic but I learned quite a bit about the people, especially some of the more prominent figures in the community.    A chance to meet people face to face and "read" them is not wasted.   I also finally got to meet a number of folks I'd interacted with on various forums in person.    Kinda of a meet-n-greet, kind of a reunion.    I recommend it.   Time / scheduling permitting, I'll do more.

MIB

• Upvote 1

This was mostly just a fun event. There was lots of food, T shirts, there was a 5K run and at the end of the day a Squatch-calling contest at the local bar. But there were locals also telling there encounter stories and some excitement over the local sighting that had occurred earlier that week.

I find it surprising Meldrum would behave in such a manner, especially in light of what he's undoubtedly faced from the academic world.

Guess you can take the boy out of Idaho.....(I have an ex from Idaho, so I can say that!)

This is driving distance for me. I should've been there but I didn't know about it. I do know where the FB crew will be in two weeks though... an even closer drive :)

1 hour ago, guyzonthropus said:

I find it surprising Meldrum would behave in such a manner, especially in light of what he's undoubtedly faced from the academic world.

I did as well.  If you're going to present yourself as the PhD expert, somewhat senior statesman to bigfoot from the academic world, show others the dignity and respect you demand for yourself.  

MIB

Wow. Just goes to show that you can't gauge a person's character by appearances on TV.  You would think that Meldrum would have adopted a certain sense of gravitas given his unique standing in the community.  

It's perhaps safe to presume he has an interpretation of the whole thing which he's got to maintain...maybe there was a university administrator with him, so he had to distance himself from more controversial topics lest he lose the schools backing. 

Or there could be another book on the way that is founded strictly within the F&B parameters.....who knows.

But it's saddening to hear that he would deride other rather prominent individuals in such a manner, and in such a public context. Doesn't help the image of academics or the "open consideration of all evidences" .

• Upvote 1