Remer Minnesota, the Bigfoot Capitol

salubrious

Hello all.  

The Remer Bigfoot Festival was a lot of fun.  It was very small-town-carnival in flavor with families, food, a petting zoo, games, pony rides, and even a wedding (in which Bobo gave away the bride).  There were also excellent witnesses in attendance, some of which had encounters and collected evidence quite recently.  We filmed much of it for a future Finding Bigfoot episode.  It'll be a good segment for that episode.  (No, I don't know when it will be aired.  I would guess in 2017, but this is just an uninformed guess.)

There was no indication of bigfooter factions of any sort, but I wouldn't expect there to be.  Most people who divide communities such as ours do it online, preferring to hide behind keyboards rather than coming out in person to ruin people's festivals and good times.  There were nothing but smiles as far as you could see on the streets of Remer that day.  

If you'd like to see a bit more about what went on, you can check out this local news item below.

Best,

Cliff

• Upvote 2

Thanks Cliff! I'm certain you'll enjoy your upcoming midwest location also, a place I know well. :)  

I hear there is some town in California or something that is also contesting Remer's claim, but so far no-one has really stepped forward on that so Remer must be the capitol.

Not that anyone cares really but its a good excuse for a barbecue.

• Upvote 1

Anywhere that you can show awareness towards these creatures is a good place to be. If you can have fun doing it well then so be it. Knowing what we are dealing with in the forest is key to understanding. The more informed we are the better we can handle our selves in their presence. It does not matter who wants to be number one as long people start to gain knowledge that they exist. 

Guest SquatchinNY

Hey Cliff, question for you if you happen to see this post. Out of the numerous encounters that you and the team here at town hall meetings and other such events, how many would you say have been reported previously to credible organizations or researchers? My working assumption ks that for every one reported sighting, there are ten to fifteen unreported sightings, and I am curious if you have found this to be the case. 

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:18 PM, salubrious said:

I hear there is some town in California or something that is also contesting Remer's claim, but so far no-one has really stepped forward on that so Remer must be the capitol.

Not that anyone cares really but its a good excuse for a barbecue.

Most likely Willow Creek. My youngest daughter lives near  there and yes she believes in Sasquatch.

Must be  poor upbringing. :D

Thanks for sharing Cliff. You are correct about 2017. A spokesman from Animal Planet has said no new episodes until 2017.

Hello, everyone.  

On 7/22/2016 at 8:22 PM, SquatchinNY said:

Hey Cliff, question for you if you happen to see this post. Out of the numerous encounters that you and the team here at town hall meetings and other such events, how many would you say have been reported previously to credible organizations or researchers? My working assumption ks that for every one reported sighting, there are ten to fifteen unreported sightings, and I am curious if you have found this to be the case. 

You may not have intended to, but it seems like you're asking me two separate questions.  So, I'll address both as I hear them...

As far as the witnesses we interview on the show or that show up to town hall, I suspect that about a third to a half of them have perhaps posted their accounts to some organization or individual. Averaging that out is a pretty hard guess, though.  You see, at every town hall meeting we invite some witnesses that we or someone we know have dealt with in the past (most are mined from the BFRO database, but they also come from my own database, and some from local bigfooters friends).  This way, we are sure to have at least some good witnesses on hand so we can film the show.  In addition to that, depending on the format of the town hall, the venue size, the story line of the episode, and other factors, we put the word out publicly in newspapers and other local media inviting witnesses to come to the meeting to share their accounts.  Those meetings are fun for me because we never know what we are in for.  Maybe nobody will show up, or maybe we'll get 100 attendees, many of whom are actual witnesses (we've had over 45 at one meeting).  More often than not, especially as the show's popularity grew, we would get a lot of stories that nobody had ever told beyond their close family (and sometimes not even to them).  

An easier question for me to ponder would be "What percentage of people who see a bigfoot go through the trouble of reporting it to a group or researcher?"  For that question, I would speculate something close to 1 reported sighting for 100 actual sightings.  This comes from not only working on Finding Bigfoot, but also from just living in Portland, OR.  A quick check of the BFRO database tonight gave 7 published reports for Multnomah County (where I live), and 27 from Clackamas County (right next door, and where I do most of my bigfooting).  That's 34 total.  Over the last 9 or 10 years I've lived there, I've easily spoken to over 150 people in town who have shared their bigfoot stories with me, but have never reported it to a bigfoot nerd.  Sure, many of them saw the bigfoots in WA, CA, CO, or elsewhere, but this gives us some feeling of how much people share with organizations or groups.  It's safe to say that there are plenty of other people in the area who I have not run across that have seen or encountered bigfoots.  I think 1 out of 100 is a safe guess...  (But just a guess!)

Hope this more or less answers your question!

Thank you all for your positive words here online, and your smiles when I meet you face to face (as sometimes happens)!

Cliff

• Upvote 2

Guest SquatchinNY

Oh wow Cliff, that answers the question and more. Thanks so much for getting back to me! 

BFF Patron
On 7/13/2016 at 4:45 PM, MIB said:

I did as well.  If you're going to present yourself as the PhD expert, somewhat senior statesman to bigfoot from the academic world, show others the dignity and respect you demand for yourself.  

MIB

I have seen presenters go after each other several times now, usually at the round table discussion at the end of conferences.   Mathew Johnson is a target rich environment lately with his portals etc.  

Extrapolating a little ..  "Dr J" has put a bullseye on himself.   That someone disbelieves is not the issue.   It is how the disbelief is expressed if it is expressed.   I suggest ridiculing others is often a cover for the insecurities of the person doing the ridiculing as much as an expression of their feeling about what they're ridiculing.   There are courteous, professional ways to express disagreement, rudeness is not one of them, especially directed at the host of the event.    If you don't want to hear what "Dr J" says, don't accept the invitation to speak at the event he's hosting.   If you can't politely express disbelief in whatever Thom Cantrall is "selling", don't accept an invitation to speak at his event.   This should be simple ... and it is 'til insecurity gets in the way of manners.

MIB

• Upvote 2