This Bigfoot Problem

FarArcher

People who come here with these stories have to remember those of us who have been around here awhile have seen all kinds of fantastical tales and have seen them turn out to be nothing but big talk...

• Upvote 1

• salubrious locked this topic
  • masterbarber unlocked and locked this topic

This topic in now unlocked.

We had to do a bit of cleanup.

This can happen when members ignore the BFF posting rules, which are found at this link:
http://bigfootforums.com/index.php?/topic/29306-bff-rules-guidelines/

I encourage everyone to take a peek. And keep them in mind.

This is not an easy site to manage. Its very large and there are thousands of threads. On top of that, we like to keep it clean.

I would also like to point something out. Its a site about Bigfoot. There's a lot of implications with that, enough said. FWIW, the Staff here are not focused on proponents or skeptics and we don't have any agenda in that regard. We do however have an agenda when it comes to following the forum rules. That matters a lot to us, as those rules are what allow this site to be the best place to find out about things BF on the web. We intend to keep it that way. But we need your help- and here is how that works:

1) follow the forum rules

2) if you encounter a post that seems to be a violation, report it.

3) after reporting the post, overcome the temptation to also react to that post in any way- if you fail in this regard, it can mean that your posting privileges might get suspended, just like the original offending post of 2).

Please keep this in mind while posting.

• Upvote 2

• salubrious unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:53 PM, norseman said:

Maybe these Sasquatch far archer is seeing wear flat black bib overalls and play banjo on Saturday nights? LOL.

Hey Norseman, I'm not one of those types and stop talking about my banjo ;)

On 8/19/2016 at 9:53 PM, norseman said:

Maybe these Sasquatch far archer is seeing wear flat black bib overalls and play banjo on Saturday nights? LOL.

You're the one with the donkeys. Ehaww!  Ehaww!

On August 19, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Yuchi1 said:

JREF style sniping takes a toll and one that is lost forever.

Huh....

On 8/19/2016 at 10:11 PM, Rockape said:

People who come here with these stories have to remember those of us who have been around here awhile have seen all kinds of fantastical tales and have seen them turn out to be nothing but big talk...

I would think that's quite an accomplishment.  

If I understand your words correctly - merely by being on this site a long time gives one an ethereal ability to discern truth out of narratives.  How, exactly does that work?  

I know the CIA and others have tried all sorts of programs to intuit truth from limited information, from psychics, mind enhancing drugs, even from bizarre remote viewing programs, all with limited success.  But here, as you claim, someone who is actually able hear a narrative, and then have the ability to have "seen them turn out to be nothing but big talk" is scientifically remarkable.  

I can tell you with certainty, if you developed this ability to make conclusive determinations merely by being here long enough, and transfer that time-in-grade factor to this level of infallibly, DARPA via the CIA will be most generous in funding your efforts.  And probably buy this site.

What is the determining mechanism?  Is there a specific, mandatory, specific amount time to be here to obtain this ability, and does a transformation occur - maybe a physical change to mark your ability?  Once obtained, does it come with a little badge or certificate?  I mean, how are you so certain of this newly acquired infallibility?

If a person shares a narrative, or a report, how do you process the information and at some point arrive at a provable conclusion - one way or the other?  I find this fascinating.

• Upvote 2

< If a person shares a narrative, or a report, how do you process the information and at some point arrive at a provable conclusion - one way or the other?  I find this fascinating.>

It's a matter of personal opinion. We use our knowledge and experience to determine who we find believable and who we don't. None of us are the final jury on any of this, if that's how you interpret my post.

My point was, we've heard a lot of stories. Stories alone do not impress us.

• Upvote 1

^^^^ What Rock said.   We apply our experience and our judgement to decide if the tale passes our personal sniff test.   It is absolutely possible to be wrong so it helps not to over-invest in someone else's account being true or false to the degree that we can't let go of our first impression if new information comes to light. 

"passing judgment" and "showing discernment" are two edges to the same sword, perspective depending on whether you're the hack-er or the hack-ee. 

MIB

• Upvote 1

Well it's a bf discussion forum. So by default it's going to be long on narratives. Like MIB said, it's up to each one of us to decide what's the skinny or what's the fatty. The forum rules spell it all out the best.

Edited by WesT

48 minutes ago, Rockape said:

< If a person shares a narrative, or a report, how do you process the information and at some point arrive at a provable conclusion - one way or the other?  I find this fascinating.>

It's a matter of personal opinion. We use our knowledge and experience to determine who we find believable and who we don't. None of us are the final jury on any of this, if that's how you interpret my post.

My point was, we've heard a lot of stories. Stories alone do not impress us.

But that's not what was said.  

"have seen them turn out to be nothing but big talk."

That phrase "turn out" indicates a factual determination was made subsequent to the claim that was found to be false.

So, the statement should be "it's a matter of personal opinion."  

I can live with that.

• Upvote 1

Some of them have proved to be outright lies. No doubt about it. Slick Rick, Daisy in a box, just to name a couple of them. Factual determination was found.

1 hour ago, Rockape said:

Some of them have proved to be outright lies. No doubt about it. Slick Rick, Daisy in a box, just to name a couple of them. Factual determination was found.

Aye.

But that which is understood, need not be stated.

• Upvote 1