Bigfoot caloric intake.

norseman

Deer will leave before the Elk will in winter. With big herd bulls leaving last. Woodland Caribou stay behind eating lichen all winter.

If Sasquatch is relying upon ungulates to survive during winter? Then the snow level is funneling them into human backyards with very few exceptions, like the Salmon river canyon in the Frank Church wilderness. Most valleys have human inhabitants and that's were the deer and elk go.

Out on the coast I could see them switching from hooves to fins and shells. But that's a relatively long migration if your a Bigfoot in the Rockies. I have looked for a transect between the ocean and the Rockies, and based on sighting evidence it would seem they avoid the Columbia plateau. But no evidence that anything is making the long trek seasonally.

11 hours ago, norseman said:

The one glaring problem with a alpha predator during winter....where are the tracks? I mean the AMOUNT of tracks to hunt and kill animals to sustain a 8000 calorie per day diet. Yes we find tracks in winter, but not nearly enough.......

I would guess some sort of migration is going on to warmer weather or food stores are squirreled away.

If they are eating meat which I believe they and they are eating meat in the winter time. Then this meat would stay in their belly's for a while so that it can digest. A few kills here and there is all that would be needed to survive in the winter. I have found tracks in the winter time but not like one would expect so my guess is that they do not move much or stay close to resources. I have been under the impression that they herd what they need in certain areas. The reason I am saying this that the area that I hunt in was once full of deer and the numbers in this area have now dwindled. I use to be able to jump deer every time I would walk in this area and now nada.

We cannot say how they perform on what they eat only that every animal is different. We do not know how their bodies handle food within their systems . We can only speculate on how many calories they need to survive and that we can all be wrong. I have found dead rodents , raccoons , deer, possums and turkey. I have also found shells of nuts as well as uprooted cattails as well as pried open rotten logs as though some thing was looking for bugs or worms. I also believe that they hit farm field as well for corn or for what ever else farmers may be growing. So there are many resources that they can go and it does not have to be in the Rockies or some far out wilderness. They stay close to human habitat where food is much easier for them. Could I be wrong, Yes! But I have found tracks in dead of winter and they were tracking deer.  

The storing of food is possible and moving closer to our population centers is too, or we wouldn't have the urban (suburban) bigfoot phenomenon. As for deer in this part of the country they don't herd up and they don't move far. Elk do move but not very close to human habitations unless they are already in that area. All the upper river valleys are pretty much snow free and mostly uninhabited. So without major shifts in population, food is available and in mostly snow free country. Most of the GPNF is closed to public access in many areas in the winter. And human winter use it mostly limited to groomed roads and trails. That leaves a lot of higher elevations untouched. Something else I have noticed recently is they are setting aside wintering and calving areas where admittance is also limited. So who knows what goes on behind closed gates with limited access in the winter.  

As for decreases in animal populations there are many factors invovled. Bigfoot may occasionally cause a temporary decrease. But many other factors are involved in ungulate population dynamics with human activity usually being the major driving force.  I have personally seen the elk population decrease in the areas where we hunt. But one factor may be the reason and that is no more clearcuts in the GPNF since the mid 90's. The comment I made about bigfoot existing in their habitat for millenia suggests that they don't overfeed in any one given area constantly or they would be extinct for lack of food. Continuously devastating the food supply is not a viable option for survival. Any time something like that does happen we usually take action to rectify the problem. So again not a viable strategy for survival. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

If they are close to a population center they're raiding our dumpsters and trash cans eating our leftovers.

Beware the bigfoot having a Big Mac Attack! :)

So, norseman, what I hear you saying is that we as a nation really need to step up on our food gifting, lest the BF's "switch to different  protein source" so to speak...either that or increase deer ranching!

The article did make me wonder if what we're seeing in this trend is the foundation of a dietary shift along the lines of what we went through that enhanced the development of our own brains and evolution...just a thought

BFF Patron

Relative to the direction this thread has taken.     I just hope some idiot does not take a Planet of the Apes DVD out in the woods and play it for BF.     We don't want to give 8 and 9 foot 800 pound ape men ideas about who should be in charge or who eats what.    Human the other white meat?  

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 1

See, now Randy has the jist of it! The other white meat! Love it!

Zebras and giraffes? No no no..campers, hikers and tourists!

But with the chimps that could well be happening, a shift of diet that could lead to new directions for them. It would be interesting to see if they've been known to take baby livestock yet....or break into freezers on back porches....

"Don't worry, they'll blame it on leopards!"

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 10:36 AM, WesT said:

What if they had the ability to store and stash away food for the winter months? Like a squirrel.

Dumb primate? No.

Primitive human? Yep.