Bigfoot caloric intake.

norseman

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
4 hours ago, NCBFr said:

I am curious where you came up with this little factoid.  

I am guessing by volume an 8 foot BF head is at least twice the size of humans.  If the brain is 1/3rd to 1/2 the size, what is filling up the rest of the space?

If you notice... they have a very small head proportional to the body.

It is a very bony skull with a sagital crest made of bone, lot's of muscles as well, much more than a human.

Also lacking a frontal cortex, which is a big piece of missing brain that modern humans have a log of and more primitive genus' not so much.

You can also infer from lifestyle, comparison to other more primitive ancestors, great apes, the fossil record, etc, etc.

No need for a human style brain if you are not living a human style life,

Otherwise you are sacrificing a lot in energy to maintain a large organ that you don't need.

I think it uses something like 50% of our energy.

One reason we don't have hair is to sweat off the excess heat.

It's value for survival is what makes it worth the extra cost in energy and loss of insulating hairiness. 

You notice Bigfoot is very hairy, that is because his survival strategy is different than our and so he invests in big muscles, robust bones, strength and hair.

We don't.

If you have a good measure for Patty's height you can probably get a decent calculation for brain size.

Smaller if more chimp or gorilla like, larger if more Australopithicene like, larger still if Homo Habilis or Homo Erectus like.

The 8000 calorie number for Sasquatch I came up with is based on doubling that of a 400 lbs gorilla. Which has a smaller brain than a human does. And has the smallest brain of the Ape family when compared to body mass.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2012/10/23/apes-brains-energy-body-size/#.V8eRLnhHarU

If we give Sasquatch a human sized brain and then upsize per body mass? I think we would have to seriously recompute daily food calorie needs.

1 hour ago, Cryptic Megafauna said:

If you notice... they have a very small head proportional to the body.

I have "noticed" that no, they don't.   So start over, only do it with valid assumptions this time, please?

MIB

Edited by MIB
  • Upvote 1

Well per my link article, it's proposed humans got big brains via cooking food. If Sasquatch has a comparable sized brain per body mass to a human?

What evidence do we have that it cooks food?

What **evidence** can you put on the table to show that it doesn't?    Remember, lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.   

Doesn't hurt to remember that if they're scavenging off our leftovers of one sort or another, they have access to the same food we do.  Not necessarily in a condition we find appealing, but with the same nutritional value.

My comment was directed at CM which why I quoted him, not you.   (Looks a bit narcissistic when you think it's all about you.)  However, look at the PGF, look at Freeman Footage, look at the Memorial Day footage, tell me the heads are "very small proportional to the body".   If you truly believe that, I'm laughing at you.  

MIB

• Upvote 1

It's my thread....I don't think I'am being narcissistic because I want to join in the discussion???

We have no evidence that Sasquatch is grilling venison steaks in the forest. And while he could be dumpster diving behind Burger King? Burger King has been around less that 100 years, which is not enough time evolution wise to develop a big brain from cooked foods. Agreed?

As far as head size? A gorilla has a monster head that houses a smaller brain than we have. I don't agree with the premise that there is a correlation between head size vs brain size to begin with.

But I'm trying to figure out caloric intake on this thread. If Sasquatch has a human sized equivalent brain per body mass? My numbers are skewed and the 8000 calorie number must go up....way up.

I guess the next step is to try to upscale a human to 800 lbs and see what differences there are.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna
12 hours ago, MIB said:

I have "noticed" that no, they don't.   So start over, only do it with valid assumptions this time, please?

MIB

They actually do...

Assumptions are assumptions, your or mine.

A simple visual inspection of the Freeman film, for instance.

Perhaps you would have to refute the brain volume inference as well. 

So now a human size brain in a Gorilla like body. 

And bigger brain too, according to another.

Bigger head  = bigger brain.

The real discussion was about brain size.

You may want to have a reason why...

A scientific reason.

FWIW:

Calories in a pound of venison, ~850....protein (grams), ~139

Calories in a pound of pork, ~1217....protein (grams), ~123

Calories in a pound of chicken, ~1085....protein (grams), ~123

Venison appears to be a more efficient fuel.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

On looking into my statement about head proportions it's problematic.

What I should have said was cranial proportions, the part housing the brain.

Earlier hominids often had massive jaws which offset their smaller craniums as to overall head size

probably comparable, but a massive head on an even more massive body does affect the proportions.

If I have time I will make a graphic.

It's not the main argument, however.

19 minutes ago, Yuchi1 said:

FWIW:

Calories in a pound of venison, ~850....protein (grams), ~139

Calories in a pound of pork, ~1217....protein (grams), ~123

Calories in a pound of chicken, ~1085....protein (grams), ~123

Venison appears to be a more efficient fuel.

Ted Nugent would endorse this statement!

11 minutes ago, Cryptic Megafauna said:

On looking into my statement about head proportions it's problematic.

What I should have said was cranial proportions, the part housing the brain.

Earlier hominids often had massive jaws which offset their smaller craniums as to overall head size

probably comparable, but a massive head on an even more massive body does affect the proportions.

If I have time I will make a graphic.

It's not the main argument, however.

On that I would agree. No doubt Patty has a large brow ridge and sloping forehead. But the overall head size will be bigger than a humans even proportionally.

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The species overlap some but not back east. Not sure historically what the numbers were but I think their numbers sagged in many areas during settlement.