Night Vision vs Full Color Vision

norseman

Here's an article about a study suggesting three color vision in primates evolved at night with primates that lived nocturnally. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/science/tarsiers-hint-primates-developed-color-vision-at-night.html?_r=1

Of accepted science, there is no known mammal with night vision that sees the full color spectrum.  But that's not to be unexpected since three color vision is absent in all mammals except primates.  The only nocturnal primate, owl monkeys, is monochomatic, seeing only in black and white.  But I don't see any reason why sasquatches, which obviously have great night vision, can't also see in three colors.

BFF Patron
On 9/15/2016 at 11:34 AM, norseman said:

What about a flir? Is it projecting anything forward?

We had one in the fire dept to look for hotspots during mop up. It was so sensitive it would show you a recent handprint.

FLIR viewfinder screens can project light rays back onto an observers eyes, the old versions of NEC with binocular eyecups would project light onto clothing as you moved them to and from eyes. 

I have not had a lot of experience with IR emitters or lasers to light up subjects.  My understanding is that the lasers can be quite dangerous at the IR wavelength to the human eye if not used correctly.

Guess there are ways around that but probably limits your night vision thereafter.   The old handheld thermal I used I got to using with one eye closed because it would create night blindness when eyes were taken away from the cup.   One thing you don't need is to be around Sasquatch while night blind at night.  Then again if you like to trip over things and live dangerously go for it. 

Edited by bipedalist