Night Vision vs Full Color Vision

norseman

You didnt....its just a fact gorillas do not have night vision.

No known great ape does. But we do have trichromatic vision or full color.

^^^ That's the entire point, no one knows (forensically) whether BF has NV although there must be some capability (reason) for them being able to navigate dense brush in darkness.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

My WAG is that as a member of the great ape family. Which includes humans, gorillas, orangutans and chimps?

They have full color vision.

They probably dont have night vision like a cougar or a wolf.

But as MIB suggested they may see better in the dark than their cousins because of eye size.

Rod cells react to low light.  Cone cells react to color.  You have a fixed percentage of each.  It is either one or the other.  However, big eyes mean more cells.  Not sure if this clarifies things but if you read a few hundred reports you easily come to the conclusion they have superior night vision. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NCBFr said:

Rod cells react to low light.  Cone cells react to color.  You have a fixed percentage of each.  It is either one or the other.  However, big eyes mean more cells.  Not sure if this clarifies things but if you read a few hundred reports you easily come to the conclusion they have superior night vision. 

In addition, rods in human eyes are most numerous in the retina in the areas surrounding the center of our vision, the cones are concentrated in the area that provides the central area of our vision. It's an old stargazer's tip that when viewing a dim object in the night sky, not to look at it directly, but to use the edge of your vision to see it better.

Gorillas probably never needed to adapt night vision as they tend to be daytime feeders, an animal can develop traits over time to adapt to its environment. So if Sasquatch developed the niche as a night time feeder, which is at least partly the case, maybe there eyesight adapted to doing that. Owls are very much like a Hawk or Eagle but developed night vision to be able to take advantage of the opportunities at night. Obviously this took place over long periods of time, but it can be found throughout the animal kingdom. Just like the species that inhabit the deep ocean seem to have multiple special adaptions, notice I need not call this evolution, that is something quite different, implying species to species changes, I am saying within a general species.

There is another possibility besides vision.   I grew up in the mountains, did a lot of hiking at night without a light, also did a lot of boating at night without lights.     Mountains and rivers have their own "spirit", a "feel" or consistency to how the turns will form, how steep they'll be, etc.   When you know the feel of the place, and especially when you are familiar with it specifically, it doesn't take a lot in the way of cues to know exactly where you're at.   Moreover, most of the obstacles you'll encounter have other things with them, cues to their presence.    For example, as you approach a tree, usually the ground curves up a little toward the base where it has been pushed upwards by the growing root ball.   

If a bigfoot is on its home turf, it might be like you in your living room, you don't need to see everything to move around, you just need to remember where the obstacles are and have a few cues as to where you are so you don't run into them.

Dunno, just a thought.

MIB

Interesting! The ISF made fun of the hypothesis the jacobs video could be a chimp because the photo was taken at night.

• Upvote 1

Yep.   And the best tasting fish are under-size and over-limit.   :)   My great grandpa was a bad baaaaad influence.   He's the same one who had the copies of the Bigfoot Bulletin on his porch I'd been reading so when I saw that first track line, even at 10-11 years old, I **knew** what I was looking at. 

MIB

• Upvote 2

Our great grandpas generation hunted or starved. 

My family logged in the Ozarks and then moved to the cascades to log the giant west slope stuff.  And brought their "bad" habits with them.

My mother was raised on poached venison. Courtesy of a broom stick mauser with butt stock case and a model T pickup with a hollow compartment under seat. And lots of buckets of black berries in the back held by two little girls.

Blacktail aint that big you see ;)

At night?   "Darwin's finches."   If they hunt at night, they don't compete so directly with us.     (Might be other reasons, too, but that's a start.)    Remember, there are always 2 kinds.  

MIB