#1 Night Walker

Night Walker

Wildman

• Readers
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:12 AM

Motorist catches sight of a yowie

19th May 2011

WHAT'S more than two metres (six foot) tall, solidly built and covered in shaggy hair?

If your answer was “that guy down at the local,” you're probably right but it's also a common description of a mythical Australian creature known as a yowie, a specimen of which has been reportedly spotted near Centenary Dr, north of Grafton.

Posted Image

A Hunter Valley man named Dean, who did not wish to be identified further, thinks he may have caught a glimpse of one of the creatures, a kind of an Australian version of Bigfoot, as he was driving along the section of road in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Dean, whose work sees him driving more than 5000km a week around NSW, was travelling south along the Pacific Hwy, north of Grafton just before 2.30am when he took the Centenary Dr bypass. Shortly after turning into the road he saw something that shook him to the core.

“I reached the top of the hill and I was coming around the sweeping corner to the right when I noticed something a lot larger than a kangaroo in the middle of the road – my headlights weren't on it yet but it was a bright night and I saw what looked like a large person stooped over, with a big overcoat on,” Dean said.

“At the time I thought ‘you silly old thing, what are you doing in the middle of the road at this time of the morning', but next thing I knew my headlights started to light it up and it took one giant step off the road, it went from standing up like a person to going down on all fours and then it disappeared into the scrub in about three bounds.”

Dean, who is used to night-driving and fatigue management, slowed down and was looking into the scrub for the creature and said he saw it silhouetted against the sky.

“It had an almost sort of a square, shaggy block head sitting straight on its shoulders – I'm a pretty big guy but it made me absolutely awe-struck how huge its body was – it had its arm up against a tree and it had about a foot of hair hanging from under its biceps.”

He estimated the creature to be at least two metres tall and covered in what looked like jet-black hair.

Dean said he had no idea what to think until he described the incident to colleagues later who said it was similar to yowie-sighting stories they'd heard in their travels.

Since then Dean said he had been researching ... to rationally explain what he saw but has yet to find a satisfactory answer.

“Anybody who knows me knows I'm the ultimate realist but this was an awe-inspiring moment, it's definitely made me a believer,” Dean said.

During his search for answers however, Dean came across the website of Australian yowie researcher, Paul Cropper who was very interested in his story.

Mr Cropper, who has also co-written a book on yowies, said Dean's story wasn't unusual.

“In our book we recorded around 350 reports going back to the late 1700s, early 1800s, but I imagine there's a lot more than that which don't ever reach the media – people have these experiences and then just keep it to themselves,” Mr Cropper said.

Theories abound as to what yowies could be, including an unknown species of ape or even an undiscovered close relative to homo sapiens, he said.

“One thing you can say with absolute certainty is that Aborigines and Europeans have been recording these things for a long time – the Aboriginal stories go back to the Dreamtime and the European stories go back to basically the first settlement ... there's just this consistent thread of stories up until Tuesday morning,” he said.

http://www.dailyexam...of-a-big-yowie/

#2 Strick

Strick

Oh Mah

• Inactive
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

Thanks Night Walker for posting this. There hasn't been a lot of discussion about Yowies on the new BFF. It has always been of particular interest to me since my 'not sure' experience in the Blue Mountains in '95.

The old BFF had more info re: the Yowie. It's a shame this now appears to be gone forever. I remember particularly Neil Frost's excellent thread documenting his encounters and research in NSW.

#3 megatarsal

megatarsal

Oh Mah

• Inactive
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't Mr Frost an old mate of Mr N Walker back in the days of the old BFF?

Edited by megatarsal, 22 May 2011 - 02:46 PM.

Attack The Argument.....Not The Arguer

http://bigfootforums...not-the-arguer/

#4 Night Walker

Night Walker

Wildman

• Readers
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

Yes. I am critical of Mr. Frost's claims. For someone who claims over 300 Yowie encounters his supporting evidence is somewhat less than impressive, is resistant to independent verification of his claims, and vouches for some very dubious characters.

Then again, I am critical of Yowie Research in general from Mr. Gilroy onwards...

#5 grayjay

grayjay

Yeti

• Banned
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

Back a few pages in general discussions, on the Russian Information thread I suggested folks check out the AYR Website. So I'm guessing no one toodled over? :wacko:
Part of the problem is that Yowies aren't seen as the same as a Bigfoot. So instead of looking at both the whole idea gets ignored. Folks seem to be more determined to make a East Asia connection between BF's and Apes. Funny, as Australia would be more likely actually to have a connection it's pretty disappointing.

Glad you made it back! :)

#6 Mulder

Mulder

Sasquatch

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

I miss Neil (he did post here briefly for a time)...he was always willing to share knowledge and information with honest inquierers.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." - Galileo

"I regard consensus science as an extremely pernicious development that ought to be stopped cold in its tracks. Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled." - Michael Chrichton

"I would remind you to notice where the claim of consensus is invoked. Consensus is invoked only in situations where the science is not solid enough." - Michael Chrichton

#7 tracker

tracker

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

I recently watch a vid of a smaller Yowie trying to hide behind a tree? the guys reaction seemed genuine. sorry pic did not post right

Edited by tracker, 23 May 2011 - 07:05 PM.

"tracker,you make it look so easy! HOW do you get them on video?Are they just use to you being around?"par5sn2

Finding Sasquatch

#8 tracker

tracker

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

Bf is a world wide phenom so maybe we should talk more about what's going on in other countries?

anyways I am not giving up so easy. here's 2 links to a vid of a wild man? and a hopefully a vid of their version of monster quest. I thought the Yowies were Sasq size and the wildmen were around 3- 4' ?

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://www.dailymoti...rt-1_shortfilms

Edited by tracker, 24 May 2011 - 07:42 AM.

"tracker,you make it look so easy! HOW do you get them on video?Are they just use to you being around?"par5sn2

Finding Sasquatch

#9 Night Walker

Night Walker

Wildman

• Readers
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

I recently watch a vid of a smaller Yowie trying to hide behind a tree? the guys reaction seemed genuine. sorry pic did not post right

Got a link or any other information about it?

Part of the problem is that Yowies aren't seen as the same as a Bigfoot. So instead of looking at both the whole idea gets ignored. Folks seem to be more determined to make a East Asia connection between BF's and Apes. Funny, as Australia would be more likely actually to have a connection it's pretty disappointing.

I’m not so sure that Yowies aren’t seen as the same as Bigfoot. There has always been a strong cultural influence from our North American allies and there most definitely is a strong Bigfoot influence on the perception of the Yowie. The Father of Yowie Research, Rex Gilroy, copied early images of Bigfoot from the literature and used them to illustrate alleged Yowie sightings (even though the images do not correspond well with the witnesses’ descriptions):

Posted Image
Image: The sketch from the Roe sighting and a couple of sketches from Patterson’s book compared to that by Gilroy from his (2001) Giants from the Dreamtime. Gilroy is yet to comment on the similarities.

The internet boom of the mid 90’s also saw an influx of Bigfoot Research ideology into Australia and now the Yowie is also believed to break foliage, knock wood, make stick formations, throw stones, make rock cairns, etc. Various associations between Australian and American enthusiasts – like Neil Frost & Joan Ocean, and A.Y.R. & G.C.B.R.O. – continue to influence how reports are interpreted and investigated such that the flesh-and-blood approach is largely a façade for paranormal ponderings about a shape-shifting/dimension-hopping Yowie. The Yowie is now widely marketed as being “Australia’s Bigfoot” by enthusiasts and associated authors.

However, the Yowie’s possible links to South-East Asia may be worth considering. While there is nothing but fanciful stories of fanged and roaring beasties linking Asia’s apes to Australia there is a possible real-world connection with Asia’s pre-sapiens hominids:

Posted Image
Image: Willandra Lakes Hominid 50 from http://www-personal....own3/WLH50.html

Willandra Lakes Hominid 50 (WLH 50) was the 50th set of human remains found in the Willandra region - and the most significant. In 1980 the skull, arm, hand, and foot bones were found on the surface near Lake Garnpung, which lies close to Mungo. Thorne has described WLH 50 as 'much more robust and archaic than any Australian hominid found previously'.

There are 2 extraordinary things about WLH 50: its condition and its form. It's condition is unique: all the normal phosphate in the bones has been replaced by silicates, on the same way that things become opalised, which suggests great antiquity. And WLH 50 is massive: he is so robust he makes Kow Swamp man look gracile! The cranium is extremely wide and approximately 210mm long. The cranial vault bone averages 16mm thick. Massive brow ridges form a continuous torus above the eyes, and the forehead is flat and receding. The back of the skull shows even more archaic features, with subtle cranial buttressing. The neck muscle area is huge, the skull is extremely wide, the greatest width occurs very low in back view, and the difference between the width above and below the ears is much greater than in any modern people. Yet WLH 50’s brain was extremely large; the estimated endocranial volume is 1540mm, well above the 1300 for modern skulls. The skull is flask-shaped, like the Kow Swamp skulls, in bird’s eye view, but all the rugged features of Kow Swamp are much more pronounced in WLH 50. Unfortunately the face, jaw and teeth of WLH 50 have not survived, but enough is left of the rest of his skeleton to indicate that his body was equally massive; his elbow bone, for instance, is enormous.

The age of WLH 50 has been estimated as at least 35 000 BP, and more probably in excess of 40 000 to 50 000 years by John Head of Radiocarbon Dating Research Unit of the ANU. Although very little bone material survives, an electron spin resonance (ESR) date of 29 000 +/- 5000 BP was obtained, but this was regarded as a minimum age. More recently, WLH 50’s age was determined by the OSL method at about 25 000 years, an age accepted by Thorne.

In spite of very uncertain dating, the significance of WLH 50 is immense. Firstly, Thorne maintains that robust WLH 50 could not possibly be descended from the gracile type of WLH 1. It is not only the size and shape of the skulls that differ, the most striking difference is the thickness of the bone; the skull of WLH 50 is some 15-19mm thick, that of WLH 1 only 2mm. The contrast is so great as that between earthenware and bone china, or orange peel and eggshell.

J. Flood (2004) “Archaeology of the Dreamtime: The story of prehistoric Australia and its people” (revised edition). p 69-70.

#10 tracker

tracker

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Got a link or any other information about it?

ya look up Posted Image in post # 8 i put the links to the vids i watched.

Finding Sasquatch

#11 Night Walker

Night Walker

Wildman

• Readers
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

ya look up Posted Image in post # 8 i put the links to the vids i watched.

Cheers. That’s a hoax/prank though. Is there a theme developing of Star Wars geeks messing with Bigfooters? (http://bigfootforums...ge/page__st__30)

The role of pranks and hoaxing is often downplayed by enthusiasts and their authors but it is apparently a major component of the phenomenon which is not only reasonably widespread today but also extends back to the First Settlement: A Description of a wonderful large wild man, or monstrous giant, brought from Botany-Bay (c. 1789) - http://acms.sl.nsw.g...px?itemID=98388

The Monaro Monster incident of 1912, which featured a couple of footprint casts and was promoted by prominent resident Sydney Jephcott, is often cited as an important unsolved pre-modern Yowie encounter, yet a little digging into the archives reveals that was simply not the case. Jephcott, aiming to get a seat in Parliament, was taken in by a sincere-sounding resident in a region well-known for its love of a good yarn. The long “toes” of the cast were made by pressing a hand and fingers over a foot imprint’s ball and toes.

Similarly, George Gray’s Yowie encounter, which brought the Yowie to a national audience via the The Mike walsh Show and Rex Gilroy in 1976 was the result of a prank. While Gilroy and subsequent authors were happy to speculate about it being a “juvenile Yowie” it appears that no-one bothered to investigate the incident further than Gray’s statement. Still, it remains a great story.

Rather than being adequately investigated, many reports/stories are simply taken as factual. The plural of “stories” is not “data”.

#12 tracker

tracker

Yowie

• Inactive
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:54 AM

Cheers. That’s a hoax/prank though. Is there a theme developing of Star Wars geeks messing with Bigfooters? (http://bigfootforums...ge/page__st__30)

The role of pranks and hoaxing is often downplayed by enthusiasts and their authors but it is apparently a major component of the phenomenon which is not only reasonably widespread today but also extends back to the First Settlement: A Description of a wonderful large wild man, or monstrous giant, brought from Botany-Bay (c. 1789) - http://acms.sl.nsw.g...px?itemID=98388

The Monaro Monster incident of 1912, which featured a couple of footprint casts and was promoted by prominent resident Sydney Jephcott, is often cited as an important unsolved pre-modern Yowie encounter, yet a little digging into the archives reveals that was simply not the case. Jephcott, aiming to get a seat in Parliament, was taken in by a sincere-sounding resident in a region well-known for its love of a good yarn. The long “toes” of the cast were made by pressing a hand and fingers over a foot imprint’s ball and toes.

Similarly, George Gray’s Yowie encounter, which brought the Yowie to a national audience via the The Mike walsh Show and Rex Gilroy in 1976 was the result of a prank. While Gilroy and subsequent authors were happy to speculate about it being a “juvenile Yowie” it appears that no-one bothered to investigate the incident further than Gray’s statement. Still, it remains a great story.

Rather than being adequately investigated, many reports/stories are simply taken as factual. The plural of “stories” is not “data”.

jeez for a sec there I thought we figured out what happened to cousin It ? Posted Image

Finding Sasquatch