Your Sighting..... Would You Forget?

bipedalist

BFF Patron

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=40020

I post this sighting up because it is getting some Facebook play for the drawing/rendition by Sybilla Irwin.

How in hell are you gonna forget the date, time and exact place something like this happens eight or even ten years later?  

Moreover, 9 ft.er throws rocks behind his truck and he pulls over a hundred yards down the road after seeing a mother and baby.

Sorry, something ain't adding up to me on this one.  

No, I can see that.   My first sighting was some time in October and it was probably 1976.   That's my best guess calculation from surrounding details, not something I remember specifically.   The last one ... I had to look it up, I was off by a day.   It was the first saturday in October, 2013.   I thought it was the 6th but the calendar says that would have been the 5th.   9:30 - 9:45 am if I remember right.

On one hand, it's amazing what we can get used to and not really pay much attention to side details, on the other hand, when something is pretty traumatic or intense, a sort of auditory exclusion / tunnel vision can occur where we don't really notice the details.

I worry more when someone remembers too much side detail it would not be normal to remember.   The number of pancakes they ate, exactly how many cars they passed on the road, how many sodas they drank the night before ... stuff that looks much like they're adding irrelevant detail to give the appearance of precision. 

• Upvote 4

BFF Patron

Your point taken, I tend to disagree.  He rolls up on a mother BF on a gravel road and it sits still to within ten feet of the bumper?!

Hello?   Don't think that could happen.  Gravel roads equal noise.  Maybe a freeze reaction to keep youngun' from running into car path? Corrected to see that it was the youngun; in the road yet mother waited for truck to stop before the scoop and run.   Still hard  to figure.   Had property in area he had inherited and was visiting but can't remember date?  Still doesn't jive to me. 

Also now wondering if Irwin is selectively omitting or proprietarily withholding copyrighted art work from BFRO website she once posted up as it seems it is posted up on Facebook but all I get is .jpeg placeholders for graphics on the sighting page.  

Edited by bipedalist

Admin

The report does seem fantastic. I don't understand why he waited 5 years to submit it.

Anyway, didn't see if it's classified already in the SSR...  the score would be 5 out of 10, which gives me confidence in the scoring system we came up with Biped.

• Upvote 1

Agree with MIB - exact date and time are side details.  I know the exact location as well since the encounter occurred in a familiar area, for those having encounters in some random location in a NF I can see some confusion there as well.   MIB mentioned the tunnel vision effect, that is very much in play.  You, the BF, and the immediate space in between are seared in detail forever, anything outside that cone doesn't even exist at the time. 

Waiting for years to submit a report is pretty nominal as well.

Maybe I'll actually go read that report Biped mentioned now...

I don't have a clue of the time or date of my up close experience.  On that mountain, one day was like another, and the only thing that counted was where the sun was in the sky - which I got accustomed to many years ago - as my clock.

I don't keep a daily log of my activities, never have, and it's not looking good for tomorrow, either.

MIB is right.  You have a Come-To-Jesus realization, the last thing the in world you care about is the time, time zone, or date.  Most of my life - I've never had a structured life that operates on dates and times.  Of course a doctor appointment - but that's why I got married - to remind me of crap like that.

And then, there's just no accounting for some folks reactions to some events.  Maybe they don't do what we in the safe confines of civilization, on a keyboard think should have been the proper reaction.  I heard more young buck replacements brag about what they were going to do in combat, and when it happened, you couldn't find hide nor hair of them, and later, "I was helping the medic," or "I was getting more ammo."  Some of them wet themselves, as was clearly evident immediately after the action.

It's just a bit different when it happens to you.  One reaction after another.

• Upvote 3

I'd just note, the sighting database has some remarkable congruencies but also some glaring inconsistencies. They pay dividends to the discerning reader. There is probably a vanishing small chance all of the reports are true, and an equal small chance they are all lies.

But you do see things in them that make you scratch your head. Speaking of AR, I read the most recent report on the BFRO site today...hunter relates how he saw a Sasquatch behind a tree after it had a rock thrown at him, and how he fired at it with his "shotgun". The investigator's narrative talked about how he apparently struck the arm of the animal with a "bullet" on firing his "rifle". You really can't reconcile those two accounts, and you just want to know why the tree in question wasn't examined for evidence. Not to mention, the witness talks about finding "blood and hair" HELLO!!! Jeez, I'd be there in a second, and don't tell me a hunter couldn't tell you what tree he hit. This is crucial stuff that is just somehow omitted or glossed over. The reports are full of thing like this, as we all know.

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=55410

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

My one was 20 plus years ago now, I have no idea of date, time or even actual location and never have done whilst I have been as heavily interested in the subject as I am now, since my early 20's.

People's brains are wired differently, mine back then just didn't even think in that manner and I still haven't submitted a report to this very day which is absolutely outrageous given what I try to do day in day out, I know.

At best guess it was in 93/94, we used to vacation out of season and normally in Spring or Fall.

As for location, I think I nailed it once but couldn't be sure, I lost all my research on it however. It's on the to do list again.

My possible encounter was also close to or around 93/94.  I remember the general area close enough but nothing exact despite growing up in those woods.  I'd guess I could get within maybe 30-40 yards of the area.  

• Upvote 1

I could take you to the exact locations of my experiences but I couldn't give the dates off the top of my head. I do take field notes though and can get the dates out of those. Otherwise it would just be the general season, I might be able to get the month right, possibly the year. My mind just doesn't work that way. That's why I right things down. 

Locations I know, but I can't remember dates and times. I've never had an encounter like this though  so it's hard to judge. I keep notes and audio so I can look things up when I need to.

Here are the pictures that are missing form the BFRO report:

40020a.jpg40020b.jpg

It IS classified in the SSR database - and was scored a 5 as Gigantor mentioned.

ssr-marker.png

SSRID:              7889
Report Score:       5
Sighting Date:      01/01/2008
Sighting Time:      07:30
Moonphase:          Duration (mm:ss):   1:00
Season:             4 - Winter (Dec 20 - Mar 19)
State:              AR
County:             Fulton
Latitude:           36.338085
Longitude:          -91.521034
Altitude:           665.00 ft
BFRO Class:         A - Class A
Sighting Type:      M - Multiple Creature
Witness:            1 - Single, no evidence
Witness Activity:   D - Driving (road)
Witness Gender:     Male
Witness Age:        0
Witness Feeling:    2 - Scared/Fear
Witness Occupation: Unknown
Terrain:            H - Wooded Hill
Zoning:             R - Rural
Photo Evidence:     PD - Photo Digital
Footprint Evidence: N - None
Footprint Length:   0 - 0"
Stride Length:      0 ft 0 in
Height (ft):        9
Height (in):        0
Hair/fur Color:     B - Black
Skin:               U - Unknown
Organization:       BFRO
Researcher:         Ron Boles
Confidence:         Moderate
Report URL:         http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=40020
 Biological Evidence
 Animal Activity
 E - Eating
 O- Objects Thrown
 R - Road Crossing
 V - Vocalization
 Y - Tree Breaking
 Q - Squatting / Sitting
 Animal Disposition
 A - Aggressive
 Animal Locomotion
 W - Walking
 Weather
 Other

ssr-marker.png

• Upvote 1

Since I don't think "eating' was an animal activity actually involved in the Fulton County story, I have since  corrected the SSR entry.

15 hours ago, WSA said:

I'd just note, the sighting database has some remarkable congruencies but also some glaring inconsistencies. They pay dividends to the discerning reader. There is probably a vanishing small chance all of the reports are true, and an equal small chance they are all lies.

But you do see things in them that make you scratch your head. Speaking of AR, I read the most recent report on the BFRO site today...hunter relates how he saw a Sasquatch behind a tree after it had a rock thrown at him, and how he fired at it with his "shotgun". The investigator's narrative talked about how he apparently struck the arm of the animal with a "bullet" on firing his "rifle". You really can't reconcile those two accounts, and you just want to know why the tree in question wasn't examined for evidence. Not to mention, the witness talks about finding "blood and hair" HELLO!!! Jeez, I'd be there in a second, and don't tell me a hunter couldn't tell you what tree he hit. This is crucial stuff that is just somehow omitted or glossed over. The reports are full of thing like this, as we all know.

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=55410

He was probably hunting with a slug barrel on his shotgun and the investigator may have just used the wrong term.

There's another huge inconsistency with that report though. Searcy Arkansas (the town) is NOT in Searcy County as the new report suggests. It's in White County. I'd like to know where it really (allegedly) happened so we can classify it correctly. I know people that know the investigator... I may try to get some clarification.

Edited by Redbone

That is probably the best explanation Redbone, I think. The inconsistency doesn't help the credibility.  

Think about out this too...if he drilled this animal through the arm with a slug (and his statement he heard the round hit the tree makes sense only if it was not a rifle), and if the slug penetrated the arm and went through and through, you've got preserved DNA to recover . If it was a semiauto he was using, you have verification in the form of a shell hull somewhere around, even if he missed his mark. The report screams fo further investigation. 

I honestly cannot remember precisely when my encounters have occurred.  I do remember to the foot where they occurred.  

Everybody's memory is different.  I can remember conversations almost word for word, take me some place once I can almost always get back there without error, but introduce me to someone and I will forget their name 2 minutes later.

• Upvote 1

I can remember the year, season, and approximate time of day of each of my 3 incidents, and the locations, give or take a few hundred meters (yards), but not the exact dates. The area these occurred is actively logged, and the old clearcuts grow in, new ones are cut, old roads wash out, and new ones are built, so pinpointing events that happened over 35 years ago is problematic. In addition, the 2 that involved actual sightings were both at a comfortable enough distance that no feeling of personal danger was felt, thus no "searing" into the memory, as a traumatic event might produce.

• masterbarber locked this topic